Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Looking to buy a Vibe

So I'm looking at purchasing a first gen Vibe mainly since gas is going up, and I need a car that gets better mpg then my current car. I'm not too sure if I want FWD or AWD, or maybe go for a GT. I would like to know if there are any major problems with the Vibe. And also what to look for in a good used one. I'm looking at spending at most 7k.

Thanks.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

GT bad clutch if not already replaced

AWD rear axle tends to wear quickly if not properly maintained.

All cars are under powered for the weight of the car. Good utility and minor power adders can make a difference.

I was also wondering what grade of fuel it takes. Like I'm sure the base takes unleaded, but does the GT take the same or premium? I ask this because my brother has a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S, that has the same engine and he has to put in premium.

I ask this because my brother has a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S, that has the same engine and he has to put in premium.

Whoa, hold on there, newbie.

First off, tell your bro that his Celica doesn't need premium. :willy_nilly: Second, the GTS models came with the 2ZZ-FE motor, different from the 1ZZ-FE/1ZZ-GE Toyota motors that came in Vibes/Corollas/Matrix models.

I've worked on numerous 99-05 Celicas, GT and GTS models. Nowhere on the car did it say use of premium fuel.

Whoa, hold on there, newbie.

First off, tell your bro that his Celica doesn't need premium. :willy_nilly: Second, the GTS models came with the 2ZZ-FE motor, different from the 1ZZ-FE/1ZZ-GE Toyota motors that came in Vibes/Corollas/Matrix models.

I've worked on numerous 99-05 Celicas, GT and GTS models. Nowhere on the car did it say use of premium fuel.

Well, I talked to my brother about it, and in his Celica is the 2ZZ-GE, and the first gen Vibe GT has the same 2ZZ-GE. He told me that he did a lot of research about the engine before he bought his Celica, and that he had to put in premium.

I know that the 1ZZ-FE that are in the base models takes regular, but I'm just asking about the 2ZZ.

the 2zz motor is good and fortunately is not involved in all the recalls that the 1zz has been blessed with. Just make sure that if the car has more than 50,000 miles ask if the clutch has been changed. They are bad for going early. Other than that the transmissions are good and if I have to do a clutch job on mine I will look for the 6 speed.

• Founders

I don't know anything about Toyo motors (except for a few old ones) but I don't think they would have put an engine in the Vibe that required Premium fuel, just my 2 cents. I wouldn't be the person to trust on this though...

First off, I have to add that I have driven over 75000 miles on a jerky auto trans, which is a part of the recall on the 1zz autos. The car can def take more of a beating if well taken care of. I also have over 100000 miles on my car and it still runs strong. I don't believe the 2zz requires premium so its ur decision. I use reg unleaded anyways. :lol:

So have you found yourself a sub-$7K Vibe yet?

I have yet to find one. I also need to sell my current car first. But I'm am still looking around.

Find a 5th gen Grand Am SE. Most are four cylinder powered, and five speeds available. No AWD needed, as they're a tank in the snow WITH the right tires.

They're hella cheaper than Vibes.