Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Forgotten junkyard 1986 Grand Prix 2+2... future classic?

For years, this 1986 Grand Prix 2+2 has been sitting in an auto junkyard not too far from where I live. Whenever I pass by this junkyard, I look to see if it's still there, but I never stopped it really look at it. Well... about a week ago, I just happened to have my camera in the car as I passed the junkyard. This time I stopped and took some pictures. It looks like it's all there- I guess the owners know it's rare and apparently haven't allowed anyone to pick parts off it. Except for the weathered paint and the headliner coming down, it appears to be in remarkable shape for sitting in the same spot for ages.

I'm no expert by any means, but this is what I've found out about these cars:

1. Produced one year only (1986).

2. Only 1,118 made.

3. The only reason it was made at all was to qualify it for NASCAR.

4. One color choice: silver and charcoal gray two-tone.

5. One engine/transmission choice: an anemic 165 hp 305 ci with a 4-speed auto.

6. In fact, no options were availible, but it came pretty much fully loaded.

So is it a future classic? It's certainly rare, but with only a pitiful 165 hp, it's definately no muscle car either... what do you think?

DSC_0423.jpg

DSC_0422.jpg

DSC_0421.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

DSC_0418.jpg

BTW, if I have posted this in the wrong forum, feel free to move it!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Buy it and make that little 305 a screamer.

It certainly needs to go to a good home where it will be restored and loved because it is a very unique Pontiac, but I do not have the time or money for such a project . :dancingpontiac:

I was just wondering what everyone thought about whether it's a future collectible or not.

The car is in amazing shape! That's just a damn shame. Is it for sale? Hell...I'd buy it, just to get it out of the yard.

As far as collectible...hard to tell. Stock, my GAGT could embarrass it, but it holds some sort of value since GM pumped them out to go NASCAR racing, back when NASCAR actual used...you know...STOCK cars, not the overpriced joke of its former self now.

Personally, I see this as a perfect platform for a retro-rod style build up. Since this is the sister car of that era Monte Carlo, there's tons of options. Mix the old with new. An LS2 would be right at home under the hood, keep the outside the same, invest in suspension and brakes, and modernize the car, but keep the car's identity on the outside.

I don't know if it's for sale- I took these pictures on a Sunday when nobody was there. If it is for sale, maybe they are asking way too much and that's why it's been sitting for so long.

• Founders

Definitely would be a great car with some lovin' and some upgrades :dancingpontiac:

Whether it would be a classic or not, it doesn't deserve to sit in that junk yard like that!

Oh wow. An 80s car that looks pretty good. I don't really like cars from the 80's (Look what they did to the Phoenix *barf*) But that one just looks good, could def use some lovin tho.

i would buy it and clean that shiat up!! it would be a fun project for sure!!

:lol2:

Someday it will be a collector car even if the Monty vesion is more popular. Def a rare Pontiac!

Richard Petty's 1986 Grand Prix 2+2

43STP1987ref-vi.jpg

pontiac-00033-1.jpg

1986An updated taillight design with three sections was the only major change to the 1986 Grand Prix. A new 2+2 model was offered for homologation of an Aerocoupe body for NASCAR competition, as Chevrolet had released the Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe in 1986 as well. 2+2 specific pieces are an aero nose, bubble rear glass and a fiberglass trunklid with integral spoiler. All 2+2 models were fully loaded and came equipped with a corporate 305 four barrel, 200-4R 4 speed automatic transmission and 3.08:1 rear axle ratio, 2 tone silver paint top with gray on bottom with 2+2 decals and striping, & 15X7 steel rally II wheels. Approximately 1225 Grand Prix 2+2's were built in 1986. While the 3.8L V6 remained standard, a fuel-injected 4.3L Chevrolet 90 degree V6 was added to the option list for models other than the 2+2. This engine was available with a 3-speed automatic or a 4-speed automatic.

pontiac-00033-2.jpg

pontiac-00033-3.jpg

:lol:

I saw a 2+2 when I was lucky enough to go to the GM Heritage Center before sh*t hit the fan with GM. They are STUNNING in person all shined up. I would love to have one.

As for the collectible nature, it is definitely present, but I doubt they'll ever be a whole lot. I'd say it's in league with my dad's '77 Can Am, which in pristine MINT condition and low miles is worth at MOST $30k. Generally they're around $17-20k or so.

• 3 weeks later...

***UPDATE***

The 2+2 is gone! I drove by the junkyard today and there is just a car size rectangle of dirt surrounded by weeds where the Pontiac sat for so long. Hopefully it went to someone who will fix it up and not part it out.

***UPDATE***

The 2+2 is gone! I drove by the junkyard today and there is just a car size rectangle of dirt surrounded by weeds where the Pontiac sat for so long. Hopefully it went to someone who will fix it up and not part it out.

I hope you see it someday in the future driving free on the highway B)

• 1 month later...

I actually looked at buying one of those in 86 when they were anounced, I was dissapointed that the 190hp engine that the Monty SS had was not available, and after driving the one the local dealer had, and comparing it to my sisters SS I was dissapointed, I couldn't own a car that would not keep up with my Sisters stock Monty, and the Trunk access on the 2+2 was even worse that the Monty SS Aero Coupe. Large trunk but the 12" trunk lid even made getting the spare tire out alot of work!!!! That and the salesman told me the dealer was only getting that 1 car, and wanted to use it for a traffic builder, so if I wanted the car I would have to pay $3000.00 over sticker to drive it off the lot that week. I passed and strayed away from GM with my next purchase.

I bought a slightly used 85 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe with a 5-speed manual, that 190hp Turbo four banger would really kick my Sisters Monty SS's butt, got 25 MPG on the highway, and was alot of fun until that tree ran out in front of me one evening in the rain. Ah to be young and Dumb again!!!!!!!

I really hope it found a good home, I did like the car, but not enough to buy it for the asking price. And as I was looking for a Daily driver at the time, the lack of trunk access really was a minus. I put it down along with my negative opinion of the Solstice Coupe, great Ideas, but poorly executed.

• 5 months later...

So is it a future classic? It's certainly rare, but with only a pitiful 165 hp, it's definately no muscle car either... what do you think?

The fact that so few were made makes them a desirable collectable. GM made them and their Monte Carlo cousin to homologate them for use in NASCAR racing, it has nothing particually practical to offer on the street vs a regualr '86 Grand Prix. It also marks the resurrection of the old 2+2 name. So it would be worth collecting. It's too pretty to be crushed.

Yea and they made alot more of the monty arobacks so I think that would make the pontiac more rare.

Yea and they made alot more of the monty arobacks so I think that would make the pontiac more rare.

I agree with most of what you said. Chevy only built 200 '86 Aerocoupes, Pontiac 1,225 2+2s. However, Chevy built Aerocoupes in '87, but Pontiac did not building any 2+2s in '87, it was a one-year wonder.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/01...-grand-prix-22/

So there are more total Aerocoupes, but the '86 Aerocoupe is rarer (surprisingly) that the '86 2+2.

So it is still collectable - 1 of 1,225 ain't bad.

• 6 months later...