Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Just go on ebaymotors and search cold air intake grand am or something. Make sure you click the one that says 3.1 and not the 4 cylinder 2.4 motor.

But yes, top swap is the first thing Id do. Meh, Id probably just swap the whole 3400 motor. The 3400 motor is pretty much the same as your 3100 but bigger, and badder.

Your "know how" kind of scares me so I would just stick with the cold air intake (CAI) idea for now. Other than that, opening the exhaust always helps. That doesnt mean put a fat Honda muffler on the back of your car. It means change out the whole system. Headers, high flow catalytic converter, and bigger piping all the way back to the muffler.

^By the way thats not something you can do yourself. You would probably have to take it to an exhaust shop. Well, at least for the catalytic converter, pipe and muffler. The headers Im sure only a performance shop would do that for you. Its not easy so until you KNOW cars, dont even think about it.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LA1 swaps are fairly easy if you've got the equipment and know how, plus...you can step up to the LX9 top end parts, and get even more airflow. Add a nasty cam, plus the 4th gen's lightweight-ness (compared to a 5th gen) and that car will be loads of fun.

Like Craig stated however, if your engine knowledge is limited, have somebody who KNOWS what they're doing help you, or just do it for you.

As for the exhaust, yes, your best bet is a quality exhaust shop, and replace the entire restrictive stock exhaust system, Magnaflow high flow cat, Magnaflow dual mufflers out back, with a glasspack or high flow resonator. Keep the pipping 2.25".

The stock exhaust sounds like a classic muscle car, cuz of the holes and rust and i want to keep it sounding like that so if i can find a new replacement that sounds the same i will be very happy!!

The stock exhaust sounds like a classic muscle car, cuz of the holes and rust and i want to keep it sounding like that so if i can find a new replacement that sounds the same i will be very happy!!

wat

I wouldn't go as far as claiming that, I've heard those cars with exhaust leaks...nothing of the sort, IMO.

The Magnaflow/resonator combo will sound x1000 better than it does currently.

You want your cars exhaust system to sound the way it is then I suggest you keep it that way. Changing it out to performance its going to sound different. Look up some youtube vids.

Yes that CAI on your link will work.

Ok so right now i have the original single pipe exhaust what should i get to replace it dual one side, single left and right side, or dual left and right side?