Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hello all, I am looking to upgrade and tune up my 98 Grand Am SE 3.1 V6. I am looking for Easier tune ups that can be done "quick", or very easily.

If i could get popular brands from youse guys that would be sweet. Sites for these products would be cool too.

Thanks

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry i shouldve specified. I mean for a performance, i would put chips in but i have heard alot of "nos" for those so i would like to get better Horsepower ect. I do have a "chip" that is not a normal chip that i am looking at http://www.performancechiptuning.com/Volta...+Chip+Module/7/

Let me know what you think.

They dont do anything. You need an actual tuner. What I used was HPTuners. It actually can go into your PCM and change the tables/values/etc.

Im going to say it again so hopefully you dont waste your time thinking it might possibly work. The performance "chips" do NOTHING.

Good Chips come in bags or tubs. crappy chips you buy online and install in grand ams. there are no true performance chips for grand ams

ok i understand that im not looking for chips (i got chessy puffs) no i am looking for actual performance enhancing tune ups.

i need good brands and stuff that will actually work on my car. its old with an old engine and i know it can do way better i am already gettin around 40 mpg, so i am looking for more HP and what not.

They dont do anything. You need an actual tuner. What I used was HPTuners. It actually can go into your PCM and change the tables/values/etc.

Im going to say it again so hopefully you dont waste your time thinking it might possibly work. The performance "chips" do NOTHING.

^^^You should have listened to that guy the first time.

He said you need an actual tuner. An example is HPTuners. It is tuning software. It costs a lot of money. If you have the pocket, you better have the know how. Because its not easy. Lots of numbers, lots of tables, lots of variables. Put a decimal in the wrong place you could break something, not know what you did wrong, and never find it.

There are some other tuners out there, but different software, same story. Dyno places use them to tune your car. Maybe look up your local dyno.

There is nothing you can just "plug in" and get more power. Even with tuning software, it has very little effect on nearly stock N/A engines.

If I were you Id worry more about bolt ons.

^^^You should have listened to that guy the first time.

He said you need an actual tuner. An example is HPTuners. It is tuning software. It costs a lot of money. If you have the pocket, you better have the know how. Because its not easy. Lots of numbers, lots of tables, lots of variables. Put a decimal in the wrong place you could break something, not know what you did wrong, and never find it.

There are some other tuners out there, but different software, same story. Dyno places use them to tune your car. Maybe look up your local dyno.

There is nothing you can just "plug in" and get more power. Even with tuning software, it has very little effect on nearly stock N/A engines.

If I were you Id worry more about bolt ons.

This.

/thread

Actually that is what im looking for bolt ons but i dont know any good brands or what actually works that is what i meant the whole time sorry if i mislead you guys

• Founders

Actually that is what im looking for bolt ons but i dont know any good brands or what actually works that is what i meant the whole time sorry if i mislead you guys

so you want performance mods :(

Thank you ringo i have never used them or installed them and dont know the good brands or what will actually work remember i have an older car

• Founders

I'm not a GA pro but I'd suggest starting with a Cold Air Intake (K&N is the most reliable brand), an exhaust (chaos will recommend something good). Then if you want to go big, you may want to start preparing the engine for boost, if you want to go turbo or s/c.

Like I said I'm not a Grand Am pro but usually the CAI and exhaust are the first few mods on a car :( Not sure if there are headers and all that for your engine.

ok and i am a K&N fan i have a supercharged air filter and oil filter from them and i didnt think the CAI would fit under my hood?

The CAI that fits the LA1 in 5th gens also works just fine in the L82 powered 4th gens perfectly, since the L82 and LA1 share similar sensor setups.

Magnaflow mufflers are your best bet, with a good glasspack or high flow resonator. 2.25" pipping will work best as well.

Hey thanks Chaos!! Anything else you recomend?

BTW i listened to that song that you got your name from and WOW absolutly brilliant!!

Well, those are the basic bolt ons...next you'd be looking at a bigger throttle body, ported UIM and LIM and headers for starters. Since you do have the L82, you can opt for an LA1 top swap, it'll improve airflow tenfold.

And yes, Scar Symmetry is a favorite band of mine.

• Founders

I searched K&N's site and they say they dont make one for my car?

Generally it will be a K&N filter and the adapter piece will be made by someone else. Who makes the best for Grand Ams I don't know and someone with one will have to fill in the missing pieces. Just watch out on prices aka watch out for eBay knock offs