Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Engine Cover Painting

FASTMOFO

here is the OEM engine cover

Picture195.jpg

i just removed the oil cap in order to take off the engine cover

Picture013-1.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

i need to clean this bad boy off :dancingpontiac: she is dirty :huh:

now it's time to remove the heat shield

Picture002-3.jpg

after a long bath in Simple green to remove ALL grease and a good scrubbing she is all clean and ready for paint.

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture001-2.jpg

the spray paint i'm about to use is RUST-OLEUM: Paint For Plastic which was purchased at Autozone.

Picture008-1.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

Picture007-1.jpg

Picture005-3.jpg

the 2nd coat i'm using is RUST-OLEUM: Metallic Finish B)

Picture015-1.jpg

Picture014-1.jpg

time for this paint to fully cure and dry before 3rd coat and other colors go on. i will keep u kids posted as i progress. Same bat-channel, same bat-time.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founders

Good quick little show how. A little sanding might be required depending on paint used and cover though, like mine I sanded it thoroughly to get better results.

i dont like that smooth finish. I want something like it should of came out the factory. the paint for plastic does nor require sanding. it is formulated to adhere to the plastic.

' date='Feb 22 2011, 12:27 AM' post='49075']

Not bad.

The "3400 SFI" and the lines around it just need some accent colors for contrast.

:D the same color as the car would look nice.

you didnt wait long enough between coats. If you read the paint can itll tell you I think to wait 7 days or something like that. Just respray it silver and let it sit and properly cure. With it being cold try putting it in a window where the sun can hit it to speed up drying. Hope this helps.

Awww that sucks! Well, I guess you learned on this one. It's a learning process.

there is only one way to learn, and its by failing 1st

there is only one way to learn, and its by failing 1st

^^^ THIS! same thing happend to me when i did mine. :picard:

thanks for the help, 7 days? :D

Read the can and I think it tells you something like that. Maybe its 72 hours but for some reason the number 7 is in my head on this.

• Founders

Read the can and I think it tells you something like that. Maybe its 72 hours but for some reason the number 7 is in my head on this.

Like always, it depends on the paint. I've seen some stuff say 48 hours to 72 hours, then some stuff wanting 5 days. Why when painting to get good results I always recommend reading the can lol.

im thinking of 1 hour or 1 day for another coat, 3 days dry to handle, and 7 days fully dried. thats what think i remember seeing...i think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founders

mine was all messed up and after the 3rd try i took it to http://www.psychoticair.com/

the did an awesome job. i have to go pick it up now that it is all done.

DSC05876.jpg

Very nice!!

but OMG RUN AWAY FROM THEIR WEBSITE!!! :dancingpontiac:

My co-workers and I have a compilation of horrible flash websites, this will be added lol.