Pontiac of the Month

brandyv73's 1968 Firebird

2019 June
of the Month

Sign in to follow this  
gandhi_2006

windows on a 98 grand am

Question

I have a 98 Grand Am 2 door. The windows have always been a little slow goin up, but just recently the drivers side window will go down about an Inch and then it will stop and click really loud and keep clicking until i release the button. It also Clicks when i try to get it to go up but doesn't move. I have to get out and help it along. and it takes a lot.

If you know wut it is i would really like to know and how to fix it.

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

Either something is blocking it or the motor is dying. Only things that come to mind for me, sadly either or will be found out by taking off the door panel.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

There's a good chance it's the regulator, which is connected to the motor. It's easier (and maybe the only way) to replace it as a unit.

Gotta take the door panel off, then drill the rivets that hold the assembly to the door "frame". Change the unit, reinstall rivets and reconnect the motor. It's pretty straightforward.