Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Z28, not to be called Z28?

Ringo64

• Founders

New Z/28 Camaro May Not Be Named a Z/28…Huh?

Gordon McDonald

by Gordon McDonald on February 4, 2011

Camaro-z28-1.jpg

The first rumblings appeared last month after information leaked from a Chevrolet Dealer’s conference confirmed many details about the anticipated high performance Camaro, scheduled to break cover next week at the Chicago Auto Show. One detail that was not confirmed was the name that the new car would be called.

Enthusiasts have universally expected that the Z/28 designation would return, however the dealer information only referred to an “HP Edition” Camaro. Now, it is being reported that other names are still being considered for the 2012 release. Car and Driver says that their inside sources say the Z/28 nameplate is not locked in. The publication goes on to speculate on other possibilities.

One which they suggested could make a lot of sense in both projecting the right image and healing many of the wounds that a change wold cause among the faithful. What is this magical moniker? Quite simply, it is “ZL-1.” Bear in mind that this is total speculation, but the ZL-1 name carries an aura that drives Camaro fans into quiet reverence.

Dick Harrell was responsible for COPO 9560 which, in 1969, caused an all-aluminum, 427cui engine to be installed in a production Camaro. Harell thought he could sell many of these Camaros and, through Fred Gibb Chevrolet, ordered fifty cars to be built. Officially rated at 430 hp, the hand-built engines were reported to deliver up to 550 hp. A total of 69 ZL-1 Camaros were built, making them both the most powerful and the rarest factory-built Camaros ever.

While it would be nice to speculate further based on this history, there is no hint of confirmation from the folks at GM. All may become clear next week, however, as the Windy City should blow away some of the smoke covering this new Camaro model.

You would think they would use Z28 because it would be more well known but kinda interested in this new name

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

HPE has no swag but Z28 has legendary swag! Lets not fool ourselfs GM has to troll camaro5.com and must see how people on there are going ga gaaa over the new Z28. How could they call it anything else. The only other names could be IROC, Yanko (never happen) or ZR1 but come on Z28 is just so darn obvious! I just wont belive theyll call it anything else but Z28. If im wrong everything I know about GM can be thrown out the window. But I never thougth some day GM could fall. so what do I know anyways. lol

• Founders

HPE has no swag but Z28 has legendary swag! Lets not fool ourselfs GM has to troll camaro5.com and must see how people on there are going ga gaaa over the new Z28. How could they call it anything else. The only other names could be IROC, Yanko (never happen) or ZR1 but come on Z28 is just so darn obvious! I just wont belive theyll call it anything else but Z28. If im wrong everything I know about GM can be thrown out the window. But I never thougth some day GM could fall. so what do I know anyways. lol

Yeah, what I said about Z28 being a historic and legendary nameplate that if you don't go with it your just throwing away the Camaro. It's a name that is as iconic as the Camaro is. I hope GM is just tagging us along with all these rumors because there have been rumors about a Z28 since this gen came out :lol2:

IROC personally will never be done again, the ZL-1 has a rare history and a new name just wouldn't fit.

Well its the Z.............

L-1...... Ill post more info at lunch

I'm not surprised. Considering the Z28 is SUPPOSED to be under the SS in performance. The ZL-1 was considered the ultimate Camaro (the COPO Camaros from 69, with the all aluminum 427 motors) so I see this badge all too fitting for the top of the line Camaro.

• Founders
We're happy to be the first to bring you confirmation (visual) of the new hi-powered model topping CAMARO ZL1 from the Chicago Auto Show!

Here is the preliminary details on this monster Camaro!

2012 CAMARO ZL1

6.2L Supercharged V8 LSA

6 Speed Manual Transmission

Heavy Duty Driveline

Magnetic Ride Control

Brembo Brakes

Electric Power Steering

Track Ready Cooling Systems

Aggressive bodywork, including vented hood, Transformers 3 style bumper, special wheels

New steering wheel and interior trim with nice silver accents throughout

Meh I still think Z28 would have been a little better. It has a better well known base and just because its been slightly better than the SS before doesn't mean it can't be even better...

Meh I still think Z28 would have been a little better. It has a better well known base and just because its been slightly better than the SS before doesn't mean it can't be even better...

It would be downright STUPID for the Z/28 to be held above the SS. The Camaro's trim has always been this:

V6 -> Z/28 -> SS -> ZL-1

Besides, making this model a Z/28 would go against the roots of WHY Chevy made the Z/28 in the first place: a high revving small block in a light Camaro with heavy duty suspension and brakes for road course use, basically...Trans Am racing is the reason why the Z/28 exists, and was ment to go against the Mustang Boss 302, which was the same idea: road course car.

The ZL-1/Copo Camaros are straight line speed monsters, and these models always had the most HP output of all the Camaros.

I'd say the ZL-1 badge is more than fitting on this model.