Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

tail light help

im interested in doing something kinda...custom. but i want to know something. since the G6 uses one bulb for three functions on the tail light...is it possible to split those functions up? or stop the turnsignal signal going to the bulb and sending it to another (added bulb)?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Possible? Yes. Practical? No. I'm not completely sure on all of this, but here's how I believe it works.

iirc it's still one wire. My guess it the control knob sens the signal to the computer. The computer then decides to light up, flash, or do whatever. You could move the wires to use a different bulb for all of the functions.

If you wanted to split the functions, you would need to bypass the computer where the switch is wired. Then run the switch to a new computer to control the bulb, then run to the bulb.

How you would go about doing all of this I don't know.

If you have a Haynes manual its page 12-21. I was right, its all run off of the BCM. You would have to bypass it and set up your own system. A small custom circuit could probably be fab'ed to do it.

• Founders

I was gonna say you could probably code the BCM then to read out through another wire when X happens but just creating a custom circuit around would probably be an easier route.

i dunno about the newer models, but on the older models, there were 3 wires going to the socket. large filament, small filament and ground.

large filament is brake and turn, small is taillight.

you can separate the tail and turn/brake lights simply by rewiring, but the other guys are right about bypassing the BCM to separate the brake from the turn signal.

ok. thanks for the info. seems a bit complicated for me. ill search around to know more or other options. another question...can i cutoff the 3rd brake light and wire in some kind of LED light bar? and how many can i run on it?

An LED replacement shouldn't be too hard. If the old one it normal lights, then you should be able to run quite a few. If they are LEDs then I have no idea. Some tail lights get replaced with 45 LED clusters so I would guess at least that many.

i dont your talking about Ringo. but PM me so it can be a secret. :lol2: and i like a few of the Chaos. but im not really a fan of split tails.

• 3 months later...

question. and im jus curious about this, would there be a problem in the system if i dont use the brake light? like if i dont put a bulb in. also, would adding rear lights but wiring them into the front turnsignals be ok? jus a thought (or i dont know, stuff) for orange rear turnsignals.

I'm not sure. Do G6's have a burnt out bulb warning system?

If the circuits up front can supply enough juice I would guess you could wire them up.

i want to say yes but i dont know. and if they are LEDs, they wont pull much power anyways.

If the fronts are normal bulbs for the signals, then you can probably replace them with LEDs on both ends, that may give you enough power.

I believe that the third brake light is only for brakes. If it is only on when you hit the pedal then you could probably use that to power the brake lights.

Finally you could power the running lights from the normal circuit.

^^I don't know if any of that helps. I'm not sure what you are planning here. Also I don't know if it will all work.

ok, thanks for helping. and ya, it helps. im still thinking it out. in theory, i think, it seems to work out.

• 1 year later...
forgot i had this so ill ask here. can i create a custom set of an all LED taillights?

really? is it difficult? do they do it "from scratch" with a bunch if loose LEDs, resistors or wire in premade sets from like semi truck lights? i dont know series or parallel, the circuitry stuff.

Go to Radio shack and get one of their circuit boards and go from there. Cut the circuit board down to size. You will have to map out the design that you want the lights in pattern for. Calculations will have to be done concerning voltage drop and resistance compared to your stock tail lights. If you have to you may have to use a resister to compensate for the differences.

From what I've seen, they basically made their own circuit boards for the LEDs.

I can't find the thread on the Galant Center, but somebody used a set of JDM tails and made their own LEDs and it came out really nice.

Google is your friend right now.

• 9 months later...

yes im still on this idea but now jus thinking differently, maybe crazy. first, is anyone familiar with high wattage L.E.D. bulbs? any first hand experience? are they true to their 30W, 60W, or 80W claims?