Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

OnStar goes aftermarket, coming to Best Buy in spring of 2011

Filed under: Aftermarket, CES, Technology, GM

onstar-mirror.jpg

General Motors' OnStar division has been nothing short of a major success story over its 16 years of operation. But if there's one major problem that has historically stood in the way of it becoming an automotive technology juggernaut, it's that OnStar has always been limited to just GM vehicles. Until now.

Coming to a Best Buy near you in the spring of 2011 will be a complete standalone OnStar package housed in one aftermarket mirror. For $299 (plus an estimated $75-$100 for installation and a service plan starting at $18.95 a month or $199 a year), you'll get the whole suite of features offered by OnStar, including:

• Automatic Crash Response
  • Link to Emergency Services
  • Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance
  • Turn-by-Turn Navigation
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Hands-Free Calling

This standalone system includes everything needed to get your non-GM (or non-OnStar-equipped older GM) car or truck hooked up to the OnStar network. Installation involves removing the old rear-view mirror, installing the new one and running a power line - which supposedly takes less than an hour and will be handled by trained technicians from Best Buy, though other retail locations seem likely in the future. Full details can be found in the press release after the break.

[source: OnStar]Continue reading OnStar goes aftermarket, coming to Best Buy in spring of 2011

OnStar goes aftermarket, coming to Best Buy in spring of 2011 originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 04 Jan 2011 22:15:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Read more...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders
' date='Jan 6 2011, 12:26 PM' post='45730']

Dealer warranty > Best Buy warranty.

There's your selling point. :P

Good point and could sell it as it's pre-installed, you don't have to go to Best Buy and have them do it.

All GM cars have an Onstar mirror now, I think since 07 or 08. This is for older GM cars and any other car and it wont hurt GM sales cuz most people dont keep there Onstar after the free trial anyways.

:P

Go yell at the people at Best Buy :lol2:

"I haz GM! You give me product with discount NAO!"

>Go to Best Buy

>Demand service because of vehicle

>Get kicked out

>Complain on their Facebook page

• Founders
' date='Jan 6 2011, 01:00 PM' post='45753']

>Go to Best Buy

>Demand service because of vehicle

>Get kicked out

>Complain on their Facebook page

> Get $20 gift card because their Marketing team are push overs

• Founders

I think we need a poll. Who actually kept their On-Star?

I didn't even take the option :blink:

Definitely gonna try it though on my Camaro when I get it

I think we need a poll. Who actually kept their On-Star?

I've taken the core system out. The mirror and wiring are all thats left, the main guts of the system are in the hall closet. The mirror will go once I find a slim one to replace it with. I fail to see why people need so much security, insurance and babysitting in their lives.... keep your money!!!

The only good thing about the system was the handsfree calling... and even that's a simple bluetooth device away!

• Founders

I've taken the core system out. The mirror and wiring are all thats left, the main guts of the system are in the hall closet. The mirror will go once I find a slim one to replace it with. I fail to see why people need so much security, insurance and babysitting in their lives.... keep your money!!!

The only good thing about the system was the handsfree calling... and even that's a simple bluetooth device away!

The thing I like about it is the theft recovery or "stoppage" on it now. Definitely something I would get if I had a CTS-V or any Caddy, thinking about getting it for just that on the Camaro but I'm sure the hardcore thieves have found a way around it by now.

• Founders

onstar

Pros: automatic crash response; navigation; hands-free calling

Cons: someone has remote access to your car; with the right computer equipment and enough time, someone could shut off EVERY GM car sold in the US in the last 5 years.

I'm 99.9% sure it wouldn't be possible to shut off every car, to shut off one I'm sure you need like 5 encrypted keys. Considering the encryption and security I see at work for our software solutions that are no where near anywhere as valuable as a car, you'd be surprised.

It'll be a far less feat to try and hack one car, that alone I'm sure isn't the easiest thing in the world either.

Look at the encryption for our keyless remotes for our cars already, the ECM changes it every 5 seconds (on some cars or every time you push the button for others) to make sure nobody can get it. ;)

huh. I've never had it. My 07 G6 didn't have it because it was a prior rental and I don't think ANY GTOs had it so... I guess this is a good thing for people that are over protective.

Meh, I don't think I would ever buy it to put in a car. If it already has it then that's different but I wouldn't renew it either.

someone could shut off EVERY GM car sold in the US in the last 5 years.

Actually a lot of GM cars don't have that feature, my '09 Vibe doesn't, Mom's '08 Malibu doesn't, my Dad's '09 Vette doesn't.