Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

My beater i30

95naSTA

I recently picked this up to drive for when I'm working on my Bonneville.

Short history is my buddy bought this car in 04, did a 5-spd swap then eventually a VQ35 swap. I pretty much did the 3.5 swap. In addition to swapping all the 3.0 timing equipment, I had cam spacers cnc'd, decided where to have the intake cams drilled, converted the DBW TB to cable, and a bunch of other misc things.

Mod list is: VQ35, vlsd-5mt, working VIAS, Y-pipe, 2.5 cat back, short throw, safc, wbo2, Q45 front calipers, drop springs, and cefiro headlights.

The car is in pretty rugged shape cosmetically, but the price reflected that. What I will do with the car will be very much the opposite of the Bonneville. Anything that I do to it will either increase the value of the car by that amount or could be sold for close to purchase price. I'm not saying I won't do a few things here and there, that's impossible for me. But, this car will not be a mod money pit or replace the Bonneville in any way.

I've always had a thing for this car due to seeing it and helping it evolve over the last 6 years. So, it's cool to have as a beater even past it's prime.

I have to diag a intermittent misfire (might have that fixed tomorrow), and make a IAC adapter. Hopefully after that this thing will be good to go.

2010-12-22%2009.15.52.jpg

2010-12-22%2009.16.02.jpg

2010-12-22%2009.16.13.jpg

IMG_5186.JPG

220-230 whp, 5 speed with LSD, not bad for a beater?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's tough.. There may or may not be a cefiro rear center tail in the mail..

I do like the USDM front bumper better though. I'm really hoping to find the same car/color with a decent front bumper and fender.

I did set up interesting limitations for myself if you think about it. If I do/buy something for it that I can get most of my money back or it actually increases the value of that car by close to that amount, it's ok.

The only other car I really want to mod is a Y32 Gloria. I could get one now if I really wanted to but it's not worth the risk IMO. 5-6 years till I can get one 100% legally. (trust me I know pretty much everything there is to know about the process)

Hours of research positive. I know the whole importation process start to finish. The only 2 100% legal ways to get a jdm car here with the intention of driving it on U.S. roads is 1. If the car is on the approved vehicle importaion list, buy the car in Japan, have it imported by a registered importer with a deposit put down on conversion costs, ship it, have conversions done. 2. Wait till it's 25 years old and have it imported by a registered importer.

There are a handful of other ways to get jdm cars here, registered and insured. Some more illegal than others.. Everyone knows someone with a jdm car, but more times than not it is not fed legal. State maybe but federal laws differ.

Ah, I see how he got around to the importing now.

The car was bought in Japan, my buddy flew out there for the purchase. Drove it first, then the car was shipped over in pieces, then rebuilt in the states. NYS law regonizes the Nissan AS a Skyline, but as a kit car, since it was assembled, then passed the emissions and safety tests.

The last time I was over there I saw a Gloria with perfect plates:

2010-01-10%2014.35.35.jpg

The Y makes sense since it designates US military and I was on base at the time but the 32 was no coincidence.

I heart traveling for work. I was there 3 times within 6 months with the last time almost a year ago. It's like another planet.

I'm suppose to go next month too. :(

• Founders

I'm interested in going to Japan, not really my top 3 places to go but would be interesting. I've been to China, loved learning about that place but absolutely hated the food lol.

I'm interested in going to Japan, not really my top 3 places to go but would be interesting. I've been to China, loved learning about that place but absolutely hated the food lol.

YOU MEAN CHINA FOOD ISN'T THE SAME AS OUR CHINA FOOD?!?!?!

IMPOSSIBLE

• Founders
' date='Dec 24 2010, 10:49 PM' post='44639']

YOU MEAN CHINA FOOD ISN'T THE SAME AS OUR CHINA FOOD?!?!?!

IMPOSSIBLE

lol that wasn't the thing. Being from "USA" and all the people who decided all our catered breakfasts gave us like french fries and lasagna for breakfast lol... Apparently they think we eat that stuff for all our meals :(

I did know that we "Americanize" our Chinese food but still my god that didn't prepare me too.

lol that wasn't the thing. Being from "USA" and all the people who decided all our catered breakfasts gave us like french fries and lasagna for breakfast lol... Apparently they think we eat that stuff for all our meals :(

I did know that we "Americanize" our Chinese food but still my god that didn't prepare me too.

Wait, Lasagna and fries for breakfast? Maybe I'm just more of a "red blooded American" but I'd love to wake up to a breakfast like that. :(

And how different can their Chinese food be? Twice the MSG? :lol2:

• Founders
' date='Dec 24 2010, 11:29 PM' post='44642']

Wait, Lasagna and fries for breakfast? Maybe I'm just more of a "red blooded American" but I'd love to wake up to a breakfast like that. :(

And how different can their Chinese food be? Twice the MSG? :(

lol waking up at 5am, I'm not in the mood for lasgna... barely Cheerios, I just want my bed back even if it was that rock hard board they called a bed :lol2:

The Chinese food literally had no taste, it was spicey yet no taste lol.

' date='Dec 24 2010, 07:55 PM' post='44635']

You lucky bastard. I want to go to Japan so bad.

Hell, I wouldn't mind living there for awhile.

I'm going for three weeks right after I graduate :P

I will be on an art history trip and I can guarantee that at least half the time I will be staring at the cars.

At the Fiero 25th Anniversary show in 2008 there was a Fiero from Japan. Hellz yeah. If I find a picture I'll post it!

I'm going for three weeks right after I graduate :huh:

I will be on an art history trip and I can guarantee that at least half the time I will be staring at the cars.

At the Fiero 25th Anniversary show in 2008 there was a Fiero from Japan. Hellz yeah. If I find a picture I'll post it!

Gaaaaaaaahhhhhh. Take me with you! :D

Seriously, I've had a couple of wacky dreams of me ripping around the highways of Nagoya with my GAGT, and the locals having ZERO clue on WTF I was driving. :P