Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Well guys it's come a time where I want to do a bit of a... ricey add-on. I want to lower the van about 2 inches, now, my thoughts, only because I know it's possible--

Use my stock struts, planning to pull them out, and pull the stock springs off, put on aftermarket ones and put them back in, only I want it to sit about 1 1/2" lower. That would make it look good with the 20's I want.

So, my question, what are some springs you fellas figure will fit? I'm pretty sure this is what I want to do, if now, I guess I just take and spend another afternoon with a wrench and spring clamp and put the stockers back together haha, help me out!!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, I don't think there are any sort of lowering springs out there for these vans...

Your best bet, is to see what other GM cars have springs similar to that of the van, and cannibalize any sort of lowering springs available for that model.

Yeah I know there's no springs for the vans. That's why I was looking for a little help haha :)

The only vehicles I can think of are the... Saturn Vue, Pontiac Aztek, Chevy Equinox, Chev Traverse... My thoughts are --

Perhaps for the Saturn Vue "Redline" there could be a set of lowering springs... Really I just need help finding the info, Once I'm given a link I can take the initiative to purchase and assemble myself, I just have to know where to go haha

Yeah it's doubtful now that I think about it, I also found a set for an armada, too bad that's much larger so the 3" lowering springs would probably sit at my stock height. Thinking maybe the Pontiac Torrent?? But I don't think they have that size either, so we're back to the drawing board, thinking about the Vue RL...

also found a set of 3" lowering springs for the 97-03 dodge dakota, cross referencing is a beeotch. Looking through as many different brands and vehicle selections as I can. Hope I find something good :)

The Dakota seems plausible, just gotta check the size and weight capabilities

Yeah definitely, otherwise I thought of a couple others today too, I was hoping by posting this I'd possibly get a link from someone and wouldn't end up spending 250 bucks lol

For the fronts, I know your knuckles are the same as W-bodies. So a w-body AGX strut will bolt up to your knuckle. Now all you have to do is compare top mounts to verify the ID of the top of the springs are the same. Just ask an auto parts place to pull a 97 GP top mount and one for your car. This will tell you if you can use w-body front springs. The advantage of this is used springs can be had for cheap and agxs will not make you regret lowering by keeping it in control.

Not sure on the rears but coilsprings.com can make custom rears. I've had a few sets made by them. (kept wanting lowerrr)

p.s. you can also upgrade to 98-02 LS1 f-body dual piston front calipers and 12" rotors.

You could always do what I have to-build some custom coilovers. My thread (see signature) has details of my progress. Best of all you can buy parts over time as you can afford them.

Yeah I planned to run custom and replace the stock coilover springs in front with shorter ones, but haven't found exactly what coils I could find to slide right over my stock struts, I might sound like an absolute idiot but I've never worked suspension before let alone building my own haha. That's why I came on looking for help :)

If you can run W-body springs like I was suggesting you would probably get about a 3" drop in the front with Eibachs.

Superior dampening is a must, do not avoid that.

Superior dampening is a must, do not avoid that.

Once again I don't mean to sound stupid but dampening?

and, you thinking I should just go with a set of eibachs or make a custom set of coilovers with my stock struts? That just sounds cheaper, which is kinda what I'm going for :rofl:

I know, I'm a cheap ass. Can't get quality for cheap usually but I'm sure I can find a way. I'll make a trip to the local autozone tomorrow, awesome, thanks you guys!

Once again I don't mean to sound stupid but dampening?

and, you thinking I should just go with a set of eibachs or make a custom set of coilovers with my stock struts? That just sounds cheaper, which is kinda what I'm going for :lol2:

I know, I'm a cheap ass. Can't get quality for cheap usually but I'm sure I can find a way. I'll make a trip to the local autozone tomorrow, awesome, thanks you guys!

Dampening is what the shocks/struts do to slow down spring movement. Without them, your car will feel like a pogo stick.

Lowering the car requires a stiffer spring for less movement so you don't bottom out. Dampening is affected by two things, weight and spring stiffness. Stiffer springs need more dampening and more weight needs more dampening. So, since a lot of weight is on the front wheels, you're at the least going to have to increase the dampening up there.

If you convert your stock shocks to coilovers you're still going to have to figure out how you want to fab your top mount for the spring. The required increased spring rate coupled with stock dampening will make the ride pogo like and wear out the shocks quicker.

I ran 2" drop springs on kyb gr2's and then Eibachs with AGXs and the difference was night and day. The stock replacement gr2s just couldn't keep up. I'd hit a dip on the highway and the front end would just bob up and down.

Well my stockers are already coilovers, that's why I figure I could just pull of the stock coils and put new ones on haha, only smaller? It just seems like it should work?

you do NOT have coilovers stock. just because you have spring and they are spun like a coil that doesnt make them a coilover. you have a pos, poor handling strut spring setup just like every other gm, and pretty much every car for that matter, came with. good god.

• Founders

you do NOT have coilovers stock. just because you have spring and they are spun like a coil that doesnt make them a coilover. you have a pos, poor handling strut spring setup just like every other gm, and pretty much every car for that matter, came with. good god.

Calm down there buddy... Everybody has to learn :lol2:

Calm down there buddy... Everybody has to learn :lol2:

sry dood, there seems to be an uprising of noobs on all 3 sites i frequent. id stop logging on, but what the hell else am i gonna do on the interwebz..

• Founders

sry dood, there seems to be an uprising of noobs on all 3 sites i frequent. id stop logging on, but what the hell else am i gonna do on the interwebz..

It's ok just you got to realize these forums are for people to LEARN, if everybody knew everything we'd be out of business here...