Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

95naSTA's Bonneville Progression

Lol. DIY it is!

I just need to measure the flex section I have since I already have measurements of the exhaust currently on the car. Then I can order the cat/res/cutout/muffler bends, a couple hangers, and some stainless wire for my MIG.

The goal is to fit the largest resonator in the tunnel as possible with all the other crap. I want this thing quiet or obnoxiously loud at the touch of a button.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

People polish aluminum different ways buy what I do is start with either 180 or 220 and work my way up 320-400-500-600-800-1000-1200-1500 hand sanding. Then I use a polishing compound with a polishing wheel.

For the tight radius spots, I use a dremel on low speed with a plain shank and sections of directionally wrapped/taped sandpaper. I work my way up in grit the same way and use a small section of cotton shirt with polishing compound.

Polishing takes forever and there's no real short cut to it.

People polish aluminum different ways buy what I do is start with either 180 or 220 and work my way up 320-400-500-600-800-1000-1200-1500 hand sanding. Then I use a polishing compound with a polishing wheel.

For the tight radius spots, I use a dremel on low speed with a plain shank and sections of directionally wrapped/taped sandpaper. I work my way up in grit the same way and use a small section of cotton shirt with polishing compound.

Polishing takes forever and there's no real short cut to it.

Thanks for the how to i know it'll take time but i think in the end it'll be worth it

Most of my exhaust stuff is ordered.

3" cutout

3" and 2.5" mandrel bends

Borla XS muffler 3" enter two 2.5" exit

Stainless hooks for the donut hangers in the middle

Magnaflow cat

Everything but the cat is 302 stainless. The cat is 409.

Stuff I already had:

3" flex section

3" v-band

2 O2 bungs

I need to measure the flex section, cutout and cat when I finally get back to Philly (been gone since the 26th) to determine if I can fit a resonator in there too.

As for the tips..

I'm leaning toward these:

gedc0470h.jpg

Cutting the bumper like this:

108804d1185467685-has-anyone-ever-cut-their-rear-bumper-for-exhaust-j_pics_011.jpg

108793d1185438120-has-anyone-ever-cut-their-rear-bumper-for-exhaust-new-ass-2.jpg

So that you can't see the tips from the side like this:

72208039.jpg

It'll be more like this:

P8220061.jpg

Here's a pic of my rear for reference:

IMG_4400.JPG

Tucking them up into the bumper should look really good, much more finished than simply having them hang below.

Will we get a sound clip of all of this goodness?

Those are what I'm going with. I looked through 100s of tips.

Oval is the way to go on a low and wide bubble butt car.

I'll get a sound clip with it's done. Hopefully it's not super loud with the cutout closed.

It took me quite a while to find tips I liked for my car, so I feel your pain. I'm still not completely satisfied with mine.

Okay. So I just read through your whole thread. Before doing so, I had no idea how much work you had put into this car. I mean I knew it was a lot because how how great she looks, but really you've gone above and beyond anything I was expecting to read. As everyone has mentioned, your attention to detail is incredible. You've spent time with just about every square inch of this car. It's really inspiring.

One thing that surprised me was that you own a 1995 model year car without the stupid OBD 1.5 business I am stuck with. I have no ability to tune, and I was perplexed that you are able to. It makes me wonder how many other GM vehicles for 95 are also OBD 1. I have to either swap or buy another Beretta that has the diagnostics system I desire.

You've done amazing work, and you have an outstanding car. Hands down the most beautiful Bonneville of that generation that I have ever seen.

Btw, I'm completely jealous that you're going with an electronic cutout. I've wanted one for quite some time now.

Thanks for the great read, I will continue to watch for updates! And congratulations on winning POTY, it was very well deserved!

Thanks a lot man. I just try to do stuff the best I can so I don't have any regrets later.

It doesn't work all the time but I've been getting better at it.

I actually have OBD1.5. The baud rate is between OBD1 and OBDII, I have OBDII codes, OBDII port, but I think the main difference between your pcm and mine is I still have a removable memcal (with eprom). I remember coming across this with the 94/95 W-body guys before and they did not have a removeable memcal.

I like those tips a LOT. Oval tips are a beautiful thing. I think tucking them will be perfect. Of course, it's never "done," so I'm sure in the course of time they'll change, but I'm excited to see the outcome of this exhaust project!

I actually have OBD1.5. The baud rate is between OBD1 and OBDII, I have OBDII codes, OBDII port, but I think the main difference between your pcm and mine is I still have a removable memcal (with eprom). I remember coming across this with the 94/95 W-body guys before and they did not have a removeable memcal.

Well in that case, I hate you ;).

^^ Lol. I don't blame ya.

You might want to contact Ryan at Sinster Performance (gmtuners.com) to double check there's nothing more you can do. That dude is the man and the reason I can do my own tuning.

@ Ghost,

I wish I was heading out to Cali soon.. I miss that place. I don't have anything on the horizon but I never really know where I'm going to be till two weeks or so before it happens.

Yeah, it would be cool if I could run a different PCM, lol. As of now my only options are to swap or run the OBD1 adapter harness. Thanks for the info. And good luck again with your Bonneville!

I took off today crossing my fingers that I would be able to get on a lift at my buddy's garage and do my exhaust. They were pretty busy so I gotta wait till monday..

For whatever reason I decided to start on the engine wire tuck in 30*/feels like 15* weather.

I'm using a 95 S1L67 harness to chop up. There's a few differences like the coolant temp sensors, TPS, knock sensor circuit, etc. but it's not too bad. The plan is to run the TPS/MAF/IAC wiring under the TB, meet it up with the relocated coolant temp sensor, run through the injectors behind the rail, pic up the O2 and Alt back there and the wiring that goes to the oil pressure sensor/VSS/T2V solenoid/knock sensor, then head to the firewall. I'm not quite sure how I want to run the front bank injectors. I've seen people use a small hard line before running the injector wiring through and over the plenum.

Here's the bigger part of the tuck.. I'm going to relocate the coil pack behind the lower passenger side radiator and run all the rest of the wiring under or along the lower part of the passenger side unibody rail. The rear spark plug wiring will be apart of this too.

So you wont be able to see any coil packs or spark plug wires, there's going to be no huge ugly harness running across the front of the engine, and minimal visable wiring everywhere else.

Given how I couldn't feel my fingers most of the time, I'm not sure when the next time I'll work on this is. It's definitely an above freezing job.

It is progress though..

IMG_1951.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

@ Ghost,

I wish I was heading out to Cali soon.. I miss that place. I don't have anything on the horizon but I never really know where I'm going to be till two weeks or so before it happens.

let me know if it ever happens. jus saying. and so many wires. maybe you should bring that car to Cali, still warm here. :D again, jus saying.