Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

95naSTA's Bonneville Progression

I've got a bunch of travel coming up and I would like to get some things organized and shipped out before I leave on the 23rd.

Anodizing the fuel fittings is something I would like to happen while I'm away. So, I started with that. I wanted to get rid of the 'Thrasher' on the front fuel rail before I sent it out. So, I grinded it down, did 180 to 1500 grit, then polished the front face so there are no sanding marks when it gets anodized.

That's all ready in a box. Now, I just have to figure out where it's going.

The rails are for an L67. (injectors are in the heads) So I had to make the legs and FPR mounting.

IMG_5084.JPG

IMG_5085.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG

IMG_5100.JPG

2011-01-13%2021.23.37.jpg

(sorry that's as far as that's getting polished)

Anything blue fittings will be black to match the rest, and the rails will be purple.

Next, I'm going to get together everything I want powdercoated. It's mainly brackets and a larger front SSEi sway. I kind of want my subframe done too but I'm not sure I can grab a spare one in time.

And while I'm on travel I'll make sure to have everything I need to draft the strut top mount in CAD. The top bearings, carriers, and spacers came in.

IMG_5428.JPG

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep on the black and purple.

Got a subframe for $25 this morning and dropped it off and the powdercoater's along with: trans side pan, sway, sway brackets, header brackets, FPR/alt bracket, and my valve covers and alt to have un-cleared (they oxidized underneath).

The subframe will be satin black along with the FPR/alt bracket.

Sway and sway brackets will be dormant purple, same as current scheme.

And header brackets will be a textured black to match the headers.

It doesn't get luckier than this.. This is how I found the subframe. I just had to take off the sway, FR control arm, bushings, and seperate it.

2011-01-22%2010.01.18.jpg

Stunning. Just a beautiful car. Normally I would have some choice words to say, but I'm so impressed by what you have accomplished I have nothing but great things to say. I'm saving some pictures for my personal pontiac pic collection.

• 1 month later...

I'm finally making some headway.

I stripped the bay, picked up most of the stuff from the powder coater, got the car off the street, fixed the blower motor housing where it had rusted through, and got some obligatory in the engine bay pics.

I've been thinking about a solution to the cracked firewall plastic.. I broke off all of the old plastic and insulation when I was stripping the bay and realized that the bare blower motor housing, if cleaned up, would look just fine. I'm going to give it to the powder coater and have it ceramic coated. That will be simple enough to keep a lot of the heat out and make it look good. I'm also going to give them my STB to have done in purple and probably other things as I go.

My electric water pump is boxed up and ready to be sent out for a rebuild, I've got 8 S1 L67 injectors boxed up and ready to be cleaned/tested, and the parts I need anodized ready to go as well.

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

P3050493.JPG

P3050498.JPG

• Founders

Very nice! Can't wait to see it come together!

and :woot: at you jumping around in the engine bay. Did that in my friends TA before he came to out to put the engine in and scared the poop out of him by hiding in the engine bay :lol2:

Thanks guys. I'm trying to keep this ball rolling. I'm here about half the time from now till June.

Ordered: ACDelco rack/bushings/power steering lines/blower motor/booster/proportioning valves/00+ tie rods. Delphi heater core. All oem subframe bushings/caps/spacers/bolts. 20' of red and black 4 gauge wire, remote terminals.

I have the entire body harness from my old car and I'll be using it to extend and relocate some of the engine bay harnesses. The fenders are coming off and the routing will be moved out there held high with coushin clamps.

The next stage is the cut and weld part of the project. I'll be filling holes, fixing rust, making clearance for things, etc.

Other major hit items are the bodywork associated with the cutting and welding, the wiring, and cunifer brake lines.

So a wire tuck is coming? :rofl:

That is on my to-do list for some day, I can't wait to see it done to your Bonneville.

I'll have to see just how much is feasible. But yep, that's the plan.

The passenger side is cake, but all the ABS crap on the driver's side is going to be a PITA. As much as I would like to delete it, it's proved it's worth too many times.

I'm also planning on an engine harness tuck but with so many variables with the engine/trans already I convinced myself to do that after everything is in and running correctly.

My GP is a factory non-ABS car and to be honest I don't really miss not having it. It sure freaked my friends out though (Whom I give rides to) when they found out that it didn't have ABS, or really any safety systems. :rofl:

Though, if it had come from the factory with it I can't say for sure if I'd 'downgrade' the car by removing it or not.

List of stuff that's been happening:

Most of the ordered parts came in (ACDelco rack/bushings/power steering lines/blower motor/booster/proportioning valves/00+ tie rods. Delphi heater core. All oem subframe bushings/caps/spacers/bolts. 20' of red and black 4 gauge wire, remote terminals.)

Picked up the ALT/FPR brackets and the long tube brackets form the powder coater

Dropped off the header box (ceramic satin), power steering subframe hard line (purple), and STB (purple)

Dropped off the fuel rail and fittings to be anodized

On the passenger side:

Cut and moved the battery relocation tray up a bit since it was hitting the bumper a little

Cut out the pinched seam above tire that keeps me from getting lower and welded it up

Cut out some rust and repaired

Cut the whole battery tray sheet metal out since it was a mess, welded in new

Welded in 4 major holes near battery tray plus a few smaller ones

Welded in half of the rad support holes

Kitty haired the whole battery area and sanded (ready for muddin)

Mudded the rad support

Undercoated the new battery tray metal, welded seam, rust repair

I still have a shiton of sanding left on the passenger side but I threw some rattle can primer on there to keep the bare metal covered. Water can get through but it's better than nothing.

This + the wiring will be the most labor/time intensive parts of the build. How I have the patience for this.. dunno.

Pics:

2011-03-11%2017.04.06.jpg

2011-03-11%2017.04.24.jpg

2011-03-12%2016.34.34.jpg

2011-03-11%2018.05.33.jpg

2011-03-11%2018.14.07.jpg

2011-03-12%2016.33.53.jpg

2011-03-12%2016.34.07.jpg

2011-03-12%2017.11.35.jpg

2011-03-12%2017.25.17.jpg

2011-03-12%2018.00.33.jpg

2011-03-12%2018.27.15.jpg

2011-03-13%2013.45.02.jpg

2011-03-13%2014.27.10.jpg

2011-03-13%2014.55.28.jpg

2011-03-13%2015.11.12.jpg

2011-03-13%2015.14.38.jpg

IMG_5530.JPG

IMG_5532.JPG

IMG_5533.JPG

IMG_5535.JPG

IMG_5524.JPG

Thanks.

Now I have a question for you guys..

Should I try and tuck the ABS distribution block?

633097_75_full.jpg

DSCN0066.JPG

If I do, I'll loose the ability to run a FWI and have to run an open cone in the bay.

I could do something like this to make up for it a little bit:

http://www.rs-quattro.de/treffenoster07/N%...0Bild%20012.jpg

(and it would undoubtedly look less crappy since I have quad headlights)