Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Air conditioning Dashboard (Push Button Switch)

My question is that I am looking for any information/assistance on a minor problem with my Air Conditioning Control unit (Dashboard). The problem is when I press the "inside" (far right) lever/button on the unit (dashboard) it will not stay secured in to activate the air condition, in this setting.  All the other buttons work and can be pressed in such as the "outside" button and "vent" button setting. The "inside" button does not stay depressed when attempting to turn the unit on. How do I fix this, obviously replacing the whole unit is not an option considering everything else works. Any experience in dealing with this or how to adjust it...., I remember back in the day you would lift the control level up and pull it out to remove it, I am somewhat reluctant  to do this because I do not want to damage it more.

Note" In reading the old car Manuel of the vehicle, they recommended back in the day to use the "inside button setting to get the best performance of the air conditioning for the vehicle.

I appreciate all of your assistance and information....

• 1 month later...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

You don't mention the year so I will be generic. You obviously have not pulled the control head out and physically inspected it. Unfortunately that would be the first place to start. When you push the button down there is some kind of catch that holds the button down. When you push another button it releases that catch and the catch on the button pushed activates.

Not knowing the year I can not speculate as to whether or not your control head is plastic, if it is there is probably no way to fix it. If it is metal usually it is possible to repair but what repair will dep[end on the inspection. It may be that something is bent and a pair of needle nose pliers will fix it. If it is a wear problem some precision welding can build up the wear area and a little detail work with a Dremel will fix it. This however generally requires some level of disassembly.

This is a pretty generic answer but over the years I have fixed a lot of controls for various systems using some variation of the above outline. This is the "fun?" part of old cars.

Good Luck

• Like 1