Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
  • Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

I have a problem

Question

I have a problem.  Well, actually I have three that I am trying to deal with right now.My beautiful black baby seems to be missing a few things.  (this is according to my mechanic)  I need an emergency brake bracket lever  (my emergency, or parking brake, indicator light does not turn off.   EVER),   I have a turbo 400 transmission.  I also need a Bushing Kit for the shifter.  It is hard to just see what gear I am in.  and I need a shifter kit with a neutral safety /reverse light switch .  This is all according to my mechanic.  There are other things , but I have promised myself to do three things at a time and get them well done.   Anyone have any thoughts???   Maybe I should say I have a 1968 convertible Firebird 400 with an automatic transmission Th400  By the way if they were easy to find my guy would find them.  Thanks for your thoughts

Conv400

6 answers to this question

Might try checking with Ames Performance, OPGI, or if you don't mind used parts check with Franks Pontiac Parts.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Neutral safety switches are located either on the steering column or on the shifter. Can you show us a picture of the style of shifter that you have. Is it stock or has it been replaced with something from the aftermarket?

This is the stock style neutral safety switch/back up switch that mounts inside the shifter itself and should have wiring going to it.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/switch-neutral-safety-back-up-light-repro/183879?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dneutral%2Bsafety%2Bbackup%2Blight%2Bswitch%26top_parent%3D9%26year%3D1968&year=1968

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Neutral safety switches are located either on the steering column or on the shifter. Can you show us a picture of the style of shifter that you have. Is it stock or has it been replaced with something from the aftermarket?

This is the stock style neutral safety switch/back up switch that mounts inside the shifter itself and should have wiring going to it.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/switch-neutral-safety-back-up-light-repro/183879?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dneutral%2Bsafety%2Bbackup%2Blight%2Bswitch%26top_parent%3D9%26year%3D1968&year=1968

Thanks Frosty! That’s why I asked for a picture for me! I don’t know what type of shifter was used with that bird. The Camaro ran that neutral safety switch on the bottom of the steering column and a separate switch on the shifter for the backup lights! 

• Like 1

Sorry to take so long to answer    My car is console floor shift with a T handle  Automatic.  Thanks for the answers you guys are great

• Like 1