Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Disc brake conversion

I'd like to convert my 66 GTO over to disc brakes. Does anyone know of a kit that will work with 14" rims? I'm stuck with 14" rims that have brand new tires on them and I don't really want to invest in new rims AND tires before I even get into a brake conversion. I know I could sell them but I can't come up with the funds for tires, rims, the brake kits and paying someone to do the conversion all at the same time. I'm pretty handy but a project that big is a little outside my comfort zone.

• 3 months later...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

This company  told me their kit would work on my 14" wheels for an Oldsmobile Cutlass, but please read the rest of the post.

Not sure if this is allowed, so if not please delete.

I need to let other fellow members know about a bad experience I have had with the company Johnny Law Motors.

I contacted the company about a front disc brake conversion kit. I had a few questions about fitment for my vehicle so they put me in contact with their "tech guy". He answered the questions I had, so I went ahead and ordered the kit he told me would fit.

It was well in excess of $400, and when I received the kit there were no calipers, or brake pads in the kit.

I called customer service and was ran around to multiple "departments". The "tech guy" told me he would make it right, but when he put me back to customer service, and they in turn told me the kit I ordered did not include the calipers or pads. There was a kit that I could have ordered that included the calipers, but they were much more. I tried my best to keep my cool & ask them why in the world would I order a drum to disc brake "conversion" kit & not need the two most important parts to the kit. They in turn basically told me that I was SOL, but I could buy the calipers from them. To put it nicely on here I told them to pound sand. (Just not in those words).

I just wanted to warn anyone else that was planning on doing a conversion kit on their vehicle, do not go through them.

Thank You for letting me vent........sorry if this is not allowed.

Hi Wfin73 - you are not the first person to ask that question.

A company called Right Stuff Detailing sells a front disc brake conversion kit that will allow you to retain your 14" wheels for your GTO. The kit is also available form Summit Racing. I've included the link to Summit here. It's about $540 without taxes, shipping and handling.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-afxdc14/applications/make/pontiac/year/1964

• Like 1