Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

New to the group 73 Grand Prix

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Welcome to FP.

So what is the inspiration/perspiration between the 455-to-LS 5.3 swap besides "because I can"? You looking for better milage, reliablitiy, one fell out of the sky and into my lap? LS motors are great to be sure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

Welcome to FP.

So what is the inspiration/perspiration between the 455-to-LS 5.3 swap besides "because I can"? You looking for better milage, reliablitiy, one fell out of the sky and into my lap? LS motors are great to be sure.

It’s literally all those reasons. I live in Colorado Springs at high elevation, I don’t wanna drive this car and have to worry about tuning the carb as I come down, just something I thought about. Then comes gas mileage for the long drive to a car show and use  Sparks in the Ozarks in Noel, MO, that big block is gonna get pretty crappy mileage. The story on the motor I have, I work at a mom and pop dealership as their tech. We had a 09 Tahoe they were in cheap it had 2 collapsed lifter’s and told them let’s just toss a junkyard motor in it and call it a day. I asked my boss what the core charge on the motor, it was $300 bucks. So now I’m doing cam, springs, lifters, dod delete.

7 hours ago, Pontiac 4 Life said:

Welcome! Sounds like a cool project. Looking forward to watching your build.

Thank you

11 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

:welcomeFP:

Look forward to hearing about your progress on the GP

Thank you 

12 hours ago, 719FON said:

It’s literally all those reasons. I live in Colorado Springs at high elevation, I don’t wanna drive this car and have to worry about tuning the carb as I come down, just something I thought about. Then comes gas mileage for the long drive to a car show and use  Sparks in the Ozarks in Noel, MO, that big block is gonna get pretty crappy mileage. The story on the motor I have, I work at a mom and pop dealership as their tech. We had a 09 Tahoe they were in cheap it had 2 collapsed lifter’s and told them let’s just toss a junkyard motor in it and call it a day. I asked my boss what the core charge on the motor, it was $300 bucks. So now I’m doing cam, springs, lifters, dod delete.

I get about 12-14 MPG with my 455/400TH/3.55 erar combination with the top up on the highway. Not bad in my opinion. However, I see your points.

$300 for an LS motor? Where do I sign up? How many miles on the core motor? Do you have to do any machine work or anything preventative?

Sounds like a way cool project. Be sure to keep us abreast of your progress.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 6:28 AM, Frosty said:

I get about 12-14 MPG with my 455/400TH/3.55 erar combination with the top up on the highway. Not bad in my opinion. However, I see your points.

$300 for an LS motor? Where do I sign up? How many miles on the core motor? Do you have to do any machine work or anything preventative?

Sounds like a way cool project. Be sure to keep us abreast of your progress.

Do you really get that off that motor? That’s really not bad at all either. Yeah $300 core. No no machine work, Block looks solid just hoping to cam and springs and call it a day. I wanna say when I pulled it, the Tahoe had like 175k.

Yes I do get that mileage. I record my mileage and gas consumption every time I drive from Michigan to West Virginia for the annual car show in Charleston. It's a combination of expressway and US highways. It's about a 7 hour, 400 miles trip one-way. Drop the top and the mpg drops to around 8 mpg. But hey - it's a convertible - what do you expect?

I know LS motors are stout, but if this was my motor with 175k miles on it, I'd be looking at a set of new bearings, some general block clean up, and perhaps have the crank and bores inspected for wear. Some light port and polish work on the heads (nothing radical - just improve overall flow). Then go with whatever performance improvement parts I had in mind. However, I get that money talks too. It's your wallet at work here. I have not forgotten that. It's merely a suggestion for longevity.

• Like 1