Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Okay, brace yourselves. This will put an end to the discussion. An impromptu decision made me drop in to my local wheel retailer, as it was a 50m walk from where I had parked on unrelated business. I enquired as to the availability of 14 x 6 Torq Thrusts. Yes, definitely available AND "wait a minute," he said. The Australian distributor has a 20% off sale for the next 3 days. I ordered an entire set for $500, landed in Cairns.

That's the cost of ONE Cragar shipped to Cairns. So, it's been a bit of a ride and I loved all the feedback - what a passionate topic! Once they arrive (12 weeks) I will ship them to the modifier, chuck on some whitewalls, get some hub rings made up so they're snug & safe, I'll bolt those babies on and post some shots, so we can all then bask in the glow of my nicely lowered land yacht sitting on some nice wheels. Perhaps now I can go back to sleep the next time 3am rolls around.

• Haha 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Fitzy, I totally respect your decision, after all it's your car! It won't stop me from throwing some other period wheel ideas at you though. Who knows, something might stick!

• Haha 1

Hey Wrongway - thanks for the photos. Your dashpad looks excellent. Your car had the same deterioration that mine had - steering wheel, dashpad, well everything really. I see the subtle differences between yours & mine due to their different vintages. I always wanted to change that silly vacuum guage into a tacho and am wondering how hard it would be to find a tacho face of a similar size that would squeeze into that chrome housing. Hmm...I'll do some research. Anyway, can you tell me did you reskin that pad yourself? If so, if there's anything that's going to cause me extra special grief, can you let me know? I suspect that the entire procedure is going to be one big spot of grief!

• Like 2

Fizty, have a look at these guys gear, they are bound to have some thing that will fit into the vacuum gauge pod.

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm?ptype=results&category_id=706&mode=cat

i used them for the mk1 cortina i built, i needed custom sizes to fit the 2 x 5inch centre speedo and 4 x 2 inch gauge pods, and they had them all 

804C5910-7A37-4282-A9C5-F43FECB35527.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

Hey Fitzy, Pontiac made a tach to go in that location on the manual shift cars that opted not to have a vacuum gauge. On the models that were manual and opted for the vacuum gauge the put the tach on the left side of the dash in front of the gauges. They also had 2 models, they looked the same with the exception of one being a 6k and one being a 7k tach. If I remember correctly the 6k was for 61- 62 and the &k started in 63' but I'm not positive about that bud. The 3rd picture is the tach that mounts in the console. You can see the mount on the one for the dash is on the left on the housing. Hope that helps bro.

Yeah I did the dash myself bro. Its the first one that Iv done so I ended up doing it twice lol. The only real issue I had was with the adhesive. It just didn't want to hold the material in place. I trimmed away all of the dead, cracked and broken garbage. Then I widened the cracks in a V shape so I could fill them. After everything was filled and sanded I covered with 1 piece of foam and used 3M spray adhesive to hold it down. But as I said it would hold the dash material. I finally ended up using the contact cement. I glued down the top and left it to dry over night. The next day I pulled and stretched and glued the rest and clamped it down. I didn't get to really drive the car this past summer like I planned but Its all held together and still looks the same after sitting outside in the hot sun all summer.

6K.jpg

7K.jpg

console.jpg

Dash.jpg

Dash before 1.JPG

Dash before 13.JPG

Dash glue.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Guys. Dakota Digital do some droolworthy stuff but I don't think my meagre budget is gonna stretch to that but I'll have a look. I like the factory Pontiac tach - I wonder where I'm going to find one. I'll do the usual searches after I post this.

So, today I got the dashpad nitty gritty sorted. The 65 GP's pad extends down the sides whereas Wrongway's stops short and meets that cool looking aluminium trim. When I was wirebrushing the old crud off the metal skin I saw those side bits and thankfully had the presence of mind to cut them off and keep them, to use as a template because trying to replicate that shape from memory was never going to happen. Anyway, today I thought I'll just glue them on and can patch them as part of the entire pad. I think this is actually going to work! I'm buying some tough UV resistant black automotive vinyl tomorrow in preparation for when it's time to perform the skinning.

Wrongway, what did you fill the cracks with? I was just going to use gap filler but also to smooth over the surface to fill any irregularities and apply it with a wet spatula. Gap filler will remain flexible and it's only purpose is to fill those gaps. 20210103_171118.thumb.jpg.0d8798c248be66bbf4471190d19fa211.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Wrongway - I'm gonna try gap filler and will finish the entire job with a nice big batch of fibreglass resin which will hold everything together and I can sand or fill it to get the final finish. I fly back to work tomorrow so it'll have to wait for my return. See you all in 7 days. Oh, if anyone sees one of those beaut Pontiac tachs for sale (with chrome pod, without, trashed, rusty, not working, whatever) can you let me know?

Later.

• Like 2

Got it. In fact, we've been rained on all day. The 2 dams on my property that were just about gone are now overflowing, all our water tanks are overflowing and everything is drenched. That's okay - this is what happens in the Wet season: best time of year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

Got it. In fact, we've been rained on all day. The 2 dams on my property that were just about gone are now overflowing, all our water tanks are overflowing and everything is drenched. That's okay - this is what happens in the Wet season: best time of year.

whats the dams for fitzy? do you have stock or are they just for duck hunting?

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1