Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

17 year old building a 1970 lemans drag car

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Welcome aboard, Sounds like quite the project. Hows the overall shell/body?

All Pontiac is well known by anyone who has been around Pontiac and they have a stellar reputation.

There are several other well known Pontiac Performance people/businesses that I would suggest you look into.

Spotts and Butler are two that come to the top of the list as well.

https://butlerperformance.com/

http://www.spottsperformance.com/   

This will give you more options and/or ideas for putting together a plan. Lots of research before pulling the trigger is key.

Hey it may even save you some cash, and we all love to do that ;) 

Best of luck.

Edited by SPRINT 6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Founders

:welcomeFP:

Look forward to hearing more about your build! Sure your uncle would be very happy with you continuing his project. Great hearing about keeping Pontiacs in the family!

• Like 1

Is this going to be a pure drag car or a street/strip car? Makes a difference at what parts you throw at it, and how fast you want it to go. The faster you want to go, the more dough!

Have you given any thought to how fast you want to run or class you want to run and what rules you have to satisfy (such as roll cages, safety harnesses, etc.)? Those are important first steps.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

When I got the car from my aunt, it also came with a lot of parts. Some are junk, I’ve sold the ones I won’t need (some sweet 78 Firebird wheels!) but it did come with the intake manifold I want to use, some harnesses, a 350 engine (gonna use the valley pan, timing cover, and thermostat housing.) I don’t have a certain class in mind, but I do want it to be street/strip. Im hoping to be in the 8-10 second quarter mile range. I’m in a GTO club and they have a Drag race/car show event called pontiac heaven every year, plus it’d be cool to have the fastest car at my school lol.

• Founders
8 minutes ago, 1970lemans said:

plus it’d be cool to have the fastest car at my school lol.

Well, you e got the coolest for sure! Time to work on the fastest :driving:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1970lemans said:

When I got the car from my aunt, it also came with a lot of parts. Some are junk, I’ve sold the ones I won’t need (some sweet 78 Firebird wheels!) but it did come with the intake manifold I want to use, some harnesses, a 350 engine (gonna use the valley pan, timing cover, and thermostat housing.) I don’t have a certain class in mind, but I do want it to be street/strip. Im hoping to be in the 8-10 second quarter mile range. I’m in a GTO club and they have a Drag race/car show event called pontiac heaven every year, plus it’d be cool to have the fastest car at my school lol.

You are exactly what we like to see around here.  Young guys pickin up the torch and keeping the Pontiac spirit going. Welcome to the site!  Look forward to watching your build.

• Like 1

I am familar with the Pontiac Heaven event. It's on the wish / bucklet list to come see. So you are located in the SW for sure.

I am going to make some assumptions. You don't have a ton of money. This will be a gradual improvement project as you have time and save up some money. An 8-10 second car will definitely require a roll cage, drive shaft loop, scatter shield, and certified safety harnesses, and perhaps an external cut over switch. A 350 Pontiac, in the long run, probably won't get you to the 8-10 second range without a power adder. In time, you will probably upgrade your engine and transmission combination. However, a lot of Pontiac engine parts can move from a 350 all to way to the 455s, like your intake manifold, valley pan, etc.

My advise would be to pick and choose. Pick a class you can run in now. What safety items are required for now. Then look at the next class / goal and what is required for it. This will allow you to still enjoy the car while racing it. You eventually decide you enjoy driving it more than racing it and convert it into a cruiser or vice versa decide to race it full time. Find out what you like to do but with your car and time (and money).

• Like 1

I just have the 350 for parts. I will be using a 535 cubic inch engine from allpontiac in the lemans. I also have a 1984 Firebird that I will drive a lot more often, I just want to be able to drive the lemans on the street. I appreciate all the advice! I will make sure to update this thread when I make progress! 

280B8D79-D088-4C6C-8EEC-DEEB1950036C.jpeg

E4D82B93-7D86-4B77-8157-87C83E23EF65.jpeg

Welcome bud. Great project! Sprint mentioned Butler performance, I've dealt with them in the past and their customer service has always been great. I 1st heard of them on the show "Street Outlaws". They built the engine in Big Chiefs 72' LeMans. Like Frosty said bro, ask a lot of questions, even if you already think you know the answer. The knowledge these guy's on here have is amazing and their always willing to help. Can't wait to see your progress! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I totally agree with Last Indian. So it's important to do your homework and set realistic goals for you, your car, and wallet. We will be glad to help you. Be honest with yourself. Talk to guys in your car club too. Ask a ton of questions. One think about us car guys, we love to talk. Don't be shy - ask.

You guys Musta missed he's building a 535 with the help from the co owner of allpontiac.  Using some of the parts from the 350.  Agree with Frosty and Last Indian.  8 second car is not streetable, 10 sec is really the outside limit.  11's as Last Indian said would be a realistic goal (and fastest car in the school parkin lot!) and both brought up the safety issues that must be met to run it on the strip.  They are there to keep you safe.  Now I'm late to the party as reply's are already in front of my post.:slap:

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

You guys Musta missed he's building a 535 with the help from the co owner of allpontiac.  Using some of the parts from the 350.  Agree with Frosty and Last Indian.  8 second car is not streetable, 10 sec is really the outside limit.  11's as Last Indian said would be a realistic goal (and fastest car in the school parkin lot!) and both brought up the safety issues that must be met to run it on the strip.  They are there to keep you safe.  Now I'm late to the party as reply's are already in front of my post.:slap:

JustA, you are never late to the party! The party doesn’t start till you’re here!

Yes I saw it was a 535! Still won’t generate enough hp to to get to 8 seconds and most likely not even 10 flat! In the Lemans that is! The money you have to throw at a 10 second car is close to double that of a 12 second car! 

• Like 2