Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I have a 69 Cat with front drums and Im looking for a disk brake conversion kit. Can anyone give me some pointers? It'd be a huge help. Im trying to get the car pieced back together so i can go on trips with my grandpa in it. Its a 5x5 bolt pattern and can i reuse the front drum spindles?

Edited by Cadens1969Catalina

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

In most cases, yes you can re-use your spindles, if they are good shape. However, that will depend on the disc brake conversion kit you go with too.

Have you looked at conversion kits or are you looking for a recommendation from us?

What size wheels and tires are you planning on running after the conversion? Again depending on the kit you select, you will have to run a minimum of a 15" wheel or better because of the size of the rotor and caliper.

The kit (or you) should include a new master cylinder and portioning valve designed for front disc brakes. I would also recommend inspecting and most likely replacing the front flex line with new steel braided hoses just to be safe (those usually are not included in most kits). 

Now is a good time to complete inspect/repair your rear drums, and completely flush and fill your brake lines with new brake fluid

Im currently running 18s, and what i was going to do after some looking around on the deep corners of the internet was use a conversion kit for a 69 impala and run hub adapters so i can run the wheels i have on the car currently. I am looking to see if i can find a conversion kit made for my car. So for i havent seen a SINGLE one. 

Baer Brakes has several kits for your  Catalina. I see 6 such kits listed from Summit Racing for your '69 Catalina that will fit 15" wheels, and 12 kits for a 17" wheel. The main problem is these kits are not cheap. 

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2

I guess I misunderstood your question. Are you looking for a front disc conversion kit or a four wheel disc conversion kit?