Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

onetrick56's 1964 Grand Prix

2020 September
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

Question

Hey guys, so I'm having a couple of issues. Or it may be 1 I'm really not sure. The 428 was running good but the vacuum was lower than what I thought it should be 7-8 in park and 4-5 in drive. I do have a small cam but I wouldn't think it should effect it that much. So I tried retuning the carb (edelbrock 1411 750cfm) to get more vacuum. was able to get as high as 8 in park, 5 in drive. Also I had issues with the motor holding prime. When its was running it was fine. When you shut it off you can see the fuel slowly creeping back down the fuel line and big air bubbles coming up it. Oh I put on a clear fuel line for now so I could as what was going on. No wet spots on the driveway either. So I figured that was a problem with the pump. 2 Days ago I replaced the pump, still doing the same thing. Yesterday I went out to give it another try. I use starting fluid to get the engine turning enough to pull fuel up and got it to the carb but she wouldn't run on her own. As soon as you take your foot of the pedal she dies. I forgot to mention, when she was running I had to set the RPM's between 1100- 1200 in park and in gear they would drop to 450- 550 RPM's. If I set it as say 800RPM's in park she would try to die when shifting to drive or reverse. The carb was rebuilt last year and everything on the car has been rebuilt or is new. Any thoughts?

Thank you

Edited by Wrongway
Added the RPM section
  • Answers 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

With that mild cam, that procedure probably worked ok.  If you want to be certain, then it takes two complete revolutions of the engine.  Pull the rocker covers, turn the engine over by hand using a s

How much would a valve guide bit run?   Spring compressor is simply unexcuseable if he really does headwork.

As Bear mentioned you might have gotten lucky and only have the exhaust valve sealing issues...Since you're going to have to pull the heads anyway..It would be a good idea after the heads are off...To

Posted Images

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

1 hour ago, Last Indian said:

No that’s not a stretch bolt! That’s a thread problem! Something somewhere is shaving the thread! A stretched bolt is detected by measuring the bolt length.

I've been thinkin about that too while mowing the lawn. How do ya screw up the top half of the bolt?? Looks cross threaded.  Thinkin I found the problem with my middle carb and flows along the same line as Wrongways bolt.

• Like 1

But if it was cross threaded wouldn't the whole bolt be messed up? I did clean out all of the bolt holes and thread the bolts in to make sure there were no issues. The ARP guy said that when a bolt is messed up at the top its normally from over tightening. He did not see the pic and I did tighten to ARP specs. 

11 hours ago, Wrongway said:

But if it was cross threaded wouldn't the whole bolt be messed up? I did clean out all of the bolt holes and thread the bolts in to make sure there were no issues. The ARP guy said that when a bolt is messed up at the top its normally from over tightening. He did not see the pic and I did tighten to ARP specs. 

I have no answer for ya.  Only way I could see that happening would be streach from overtighten, but that usually happens on the non threaded part. 

• Like 1

Ok thanks bro

Ok so this is probably a dumb question but.... The washer (not sure what its called) that goes behind the big bolt holding the harmonic balancer to crank has walked a way. Can I use another washer or drill out a thick fender washer and use it or do I need to order a new one from Ames or somebody else and wait a week to finish installing everything else so I can start the engine?

Yeah damn it, your right again Bear. That would be called the harmonic balancer washer correct? 

Ok, so Franks is on vacation according to eBay(lol) and Ames had it for $5.00. Its ordered 

• Like 1

Gotcha! I had picked up a 1/8th thick grade 8 yesterday. So yall caught me JUSTA in time lol. But it is ordered. I'll let you know when i get it in and installed. Thanks guys.