Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
  • Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

Question

Hey guys, so I'm having a couple of issues. Or it may be 1 I'm really not sure. The 428 was running good but the vacuum was lower than what I thought it should be 7-8 in park and 4-5 in drive. I do have a small cam but I wouldn't think it should effect it that much. So I tried retuning the carb (edelbrock 1411 750cfm) to get more vacuum. was able to get as high as 8 in park, 5 in drive. Also I had issues with the motor holding prime. When its was running it was fine. When you shut it off you can see the fuel slowly creeping back down the fuel line and big air bubbles coming up it. Oh I put on a clear fuel line for now so I could as what was going on. No wet spots on the driveway either. So I figured that was a problem with the pump. 2 Days ago I replaced the pump, still doing the same thing. Yesterday I went out to give it another try. I use starting fluid to get the engine turning enough to pull fuel up and got it to the carb but she wouldn't run on her own. As soon as you take your foot of the pedal she dies. I forgot to mention, when she was running I had to set the RPM's between 1100- 1200 in park and in gear they would drop to 450- 550 RPM's. If I set it as say 800RPM's in park she would try to die when shifting to drive or reverse. The carb was rebuilt last year and everything on the car has been rebuilt or is new. Any thoughts?

Thank you

Edited by Wrongway
Added the RPM section
  • Answers 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

With that mild cam, that procedure probably worked ok.  If you want to be certain, then it takes two complete revolutions of the engine.  Pull the rocker covers, turn the engine over by hand using a s

You JUSTA can't seem to catch a break man.  While it's true most all heads are all aluminum these days,  kinda funny he's accepting work knowing he doesn't have the tools to work on it. I was la

Nope! That real is the best you can do! JustA make sure visually that the look good! Also look at each clearance holes edges, both ends, these are basically the heads! Sometimes these holes will get a

Posted Images

Ok great. Thanks. This one is clockable to. I was thinking about running solenoid down but wasn't sure if that was a good idea. Worried about debris hitting it. Glad to know I can. I'll be putting it on in a couple hours and check back in.

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Thanks bubby but no luck. The holes in the starter mounting plate were to far a part. Only by an 1/8th of an inch or so. But it was just far enough that I couldn't get the 2nd bolt stared. I checked a 2nd 1 and it was the same way. They didn't have a stock starter in stock for me to try. They did order one and I can pick it up Tuesday.

• Sad 2

Ok, she's alive, again! But I cant tell if I'm hearing a tick or if its just plugged up ears from allergies. Anyways here she is. She only ran for 5 min before I shut her off. The videos were taken during that 5 min.

• Like 1

Alright! I might be hearing a lifter, can't tell for sure, it could also be and exhaust leak but it sounds like a good solid idle. 

You're getting there. 

Bear 

• Like 1

Thanks Bear, So if its a lifter then maybe run it and see if it stops? Its only been ran for 5 min.  Do you think its safe to run it down the road like that?

On 10/14/2020 at 8:48 AM, Wrongway said:

Ok, she's alive, again! But I cant tell if I'm hearing a tick or if its just plugged up ears from allergies. Anyways here she is. She only ran for 5 min before I shut her off. The videos were taken during that 5 min.

Today 1.MOV today 2.MOV

:cheers::cheers:

wrongway... have you put in a new cam, with the rebuild ?

if so, you do need to break it in..... its bloody important mate.:o

• Like 1

if not,, run her!!! 

keep an eye on oil pressure, temperture..

• Like 1

The cam and lifters have at most 50 miles on them. 1 lifter is new, the old one got destroyed. Well I'll go run it and see what happens and hopefully it stops ticking. lol

Thanks guys

Ok so I just took these. The 1st video was 2200 rpm adjusted at carb to hold it there. I ran for 20 min. The 2nd was at 800rpm. I'm still hearing it. I'll take it for a drive this afternoon or in the morning. But could it be a valve lash adjustment?

Ok Bear, I'll go check the wiring now. Yes sir i do have poly locks.

• Like 1

Ok so all the wires are locked on. It really sounds more like its coming out the the middle of the engine. as in its not any louder on either side. When you put your head over the carb you can hear it louder. I started looking around the carb and feel air blowing, not sucking. I hit with starter fluid and no change to the idle. I tried soapy water but it just evaporated. I'll try again when it cools down. Here's where I'm feeling air. Not sure if its intake or carb yet.

Air.jpg

Wow, really. It sounded like it Bear. Ok, so would that be intake gasket then?

Edited by Wrongway

Yep, you can try tightening down the two center bolts to see if that at least changes it. 

• Like 1

Awesome. I'll try tightening them tomorrow and I will try to find a set of block off gaskets online tonight. Thanks again guys!

Hey, could I use gasket material, not Permatex but like roll gasket and make a new intake gasket with block offs?

Edited by Wrongway
  • Like 1

I'm guessing these are the block off's? 

Edelbrock 7280.jpg

When the heads were original redone I was told there was no material removed front the head to block matting surfaces on the heads or block. I had plans of starting with retightening in the morning and still will. I've got a full day a head of me cleaning up the shop tomorrow. Emptying it completely out. But I'll let yall no if that fixes the problem as soon as I can.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Ok so all the wires are locked on. It really sounds more like its coming out the the middle of the engine. as in its not any louder on either side. When you put your head over the carb you can hear it louder. I started looking around the carb and feel air blowing, not sucking. I hit with starter fluid and no change to the idle. I tried soapy water but it just evaporated. I'll try again when it cools down. Here's where I'm feeling air. Not sure if its intake or carb yet.

Air.jpg

Wrongway, try some bigger washers under those two centre bolts too mate 

it will help to spread the load on that casting that’s trying to seal the gasket 👍

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Ok so I did tighten the center bolts and then retightened them and worked out from there. I was able to get about a 1/4 turn on the 2 passenger side center bolts. So my thought was to pull the intake and reseal it. But I will try the washers 1st Kiwi, great idea bro. Maybe the bolts are a little long, idk but if that doesn't do it then ill pull the intake and try that. After tightening the bolts it did seem a bit quieter. Not sure if it was because I was hoping it would be or if it actually was. I will let you know if the bigger washers help.

do a skim off maniseal around that exhaust cross gasket faces if you do pull the intake off, too mate, it wont hurt:cheers:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1