Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

dues70's 1970 Pontiac Bonneville

2020 July
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

Hello, 

I have some questions, and looking for some expert advise.  We have a '65 Catalina, and just had a carb rebuild (running great now).  When showing a friend under the hood, he said the fuel line from the pump to the carb did not look right.   Basically there is a rubber fuel line from the pump to the metal line that goes into the carburetor, with an inline filter in between.  Also, there is a short rubber line (~10") on the other side of the pump that connects the metal line from the tank to the pump.   The attached pictures will put this in perspective.

I looked at the shop manuals for the 65, and could find no reference to where the fuel filter should be located, or whether using rubber fuel lines in these locations is ok.   So, my questions are as follows:

1.  Is it ok to use the rubber line (the ~10" connection coming into the pump, and the line from the pump to the carb), or should all this be metal line?

2. Is the inline filter in the proper location, or should the filter be located elsewhere?

When I had the carb rebuilt, they didn't say anything, so I presume this is ok.  But, just wanting to get more educated and garner some knowledge from true Pontiac experts.  Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

JM

Fuel_Line1.png

Fuel_Line2.png

Fuel_Line3.png

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Using an inline fuel filter has been done for years on Pontiacs and other makes of cars for years. In most cases, guys run see-thru filters rather than encased filters because they want to be able to see how dirty/trashy their filter or their gas really is. There is nothing wrong with an enclosed fuel filter. It comes down to personal preference.

If you are looking for how the fuel pump to the carb line came from the factory, in all likelihood, it was a solid line with a small fuel filter installed in the carb (assuming it was a Rochester carb).

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Frosty!   Much appreciated.   In terms of the line from the pump to the carb, I was more thinking from a safety perspective.  i.e. using the rubber fuel line vs. a metal line.  

Since you indicated that using an inline fuel filter has been common use for years, I presume using the rubber fuel line is perfectly fine from a safety perspective.  Can you confirm?

Thanks again!

JM

Thanks so much for the advice and guidance Frosty!  Very much appreciated.

Regards,

JM

Always happy to help!