Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

The caddy

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• 4 weeks later...

image.png.248a8fcc62efe6366442fafb7d3afe44.png

When a Cadillac was a Cadillac!! LOVE the front end AND the fins!! 😍

Edited by Stewy

13 minutes ago, Ringo64 said:

Fins are the best part of any Caddy :) 

WHile I tend to agree with you Ringo. The Dagmars on a Caddy are also very cool too.

• Founders
3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

WHile I tend to agree with you Ringo. The Dagmars on a Caddy are also very cool too.

This is also true. Found this article, not sure how much of it is true but interesting (and a little NSFW): https://www.curbsideclassic.com/design-3/design-history-cadillacs-dagmars-an-intimate-look-at-their-origins-development-and-namesake/

In my time at GM, and the handful of times I was at the GM Design studio, the term Dagmars was a staple for these bumperettes. I've heard of this story multiple times so I have to beleive there is a lot of truth to it.

My favorite story is still Bill Mitchell when he was developing the Mako Shark concept Corvette. He was inspired to build afer he caught a mako shark off the coast of Bimini, he had it mounted in his office wall at Design Staff in Warren. He claimed the Design staff was not capturing the essence of the fish no matter how many times they completely painted the car. So, in desperation, they broke into Mitchell's office late one night and they re-painted the fish. Once they did that, Mitchell claimed the team had succeeded in capturing the essence of the Mako Shark.

image.thumb.png.feaefb86149cfd8c5542e2eecc982ec4.png

Edited by Frosty

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

they broke into Mitchell's office late one night and they re-painted the fish. Once they did that, Mitchell claimed the team had succeeded in capturing the essence of the Mako Shark.

LOL!

• 5 months later...

I went over the caddy yesterday in preparation for the Xmas parade and .... 

well I made a major stuff up.

i checked the oil , saw it was low, so I topped it up,

closed the hood and then the very first word was F— CK 

i had left the oil filler cap on top of the air cleaner 😡😡😡😡

which instantly put a dent in the hood .

by guessus I was pist at my self 😪23976342-1EDA-4F83-99EA-92782D4301E3.thumb.jpeg.b19c44f9fb0b6a5158c19315f846796f.jpeg

So lucky it’s not a major 

i think I will call the mobile painless dent guy and see if he can push it back down 🙄......hopefully 

am soooo pist at myself !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...

i hope you guys may be able to help me here! i know its not Ponti stuff , but with you great automotive knowledge back grounds, you may know where i need to look!

yesterday i took the 59 cadillac for a warrent of fittness and when i went to press the horn the chrome ring snapped clean off ! muck metal !!!!:picard:

i used mr google to try and find a repo or anyone who makes them.... caddy daddy.... dont stock , ebay was over 2k for a whole steering wheel. 

And i was justA hoping you could possibly know of a supplier :unsure:

• Sad 1

Post a picture of yout Caddy's steering wheel and ring and we can be on the look out for one. Swap meet season will be starting up soon here in Michigan with the snow gone and hopefully COVID restrictions lifted enough to hold some.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

i hope you guys may be able to help me here! i know its not Ponti stuff , but with you great automotive knowledge back grounds, you may know where i need to look!

yesterday i took the 59 cadillac for a warrent of fittness and when i went to press the horn the chrome ring snapped clean off ! muck metal !!!!:picard:

i used mr google to try and find a repo or anyone who makes them.... caddy daddy.... dont stock , ebay was over 2k for a whole steering wheel. 

And i was justA hoping you could possibly know of a supplier :unsure:

Ya know, 1st thing I'm thinkin is JB Weld.   Caddy parts are stupid expensive IF you can find them.  Sorry bro, that sucks.  They passed the car though?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

Post a picture of yout Caddy's steering wheel and ring and we can be on the look out for one. Swap meet season will be starting up soon here in Michigan with the snow gone and hopefully COVID restrictions lifted enough to hold some.

Ah good idea frosty 

I will do that , will be next week ,:cheers:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Ya know, 1st thing I'm thinkin is JB Weld.   Caddy parts are stupid expensive IF you can find them.  Sorry bro, that sucks.  They passed the car though?

that was my first thought too justA 

but !!! I can see it’s a very small section to glue AND that’s why it broke ! It’s a weak point in the design ,,,,, I will pull it off and take some pictures .... as far as the passing of the warrant was concerned .... they want my led lights removed ... they claim that they don’t comply as the car never came with them !!!! 

So I will take them out and show them for the re check .... then simply refit them 😀😀😀

the reason I have them is for safety , if I use what was stock for 1959 I might as well run in front of the car with a kero lamp and it would light up the road better :rofl:

other than that there was a bit of play in one top ball joint and one drag link joint 

but I am justA going to grease them for now 

and once the Bonnie is complete I will do a full rebuild of the front end on the caddy justA for my own peace of mind . 

Every other one I have has had that treatment and I know , with how much I drive them that I will never need to do them again :cheers:

• Like 2

JustA, i think you may be right mate ! i think i could jb weld a small flat plate inside the hidden part of the break, which could add some strength to what to me looks like a blood poor designed muck metal horn ring..... gees here i am thinking Cadillac had the top of the self quality parts ! 🙄.... and the more i hunt for a replacement.... the more i read about this 59 horn ring being a bit of a lemon.... whats the world coming to ! making car parts that wear out after 62 years !! :o

:rofl::rofl: happy Easter guys... day light savings finished here yesterday, so that means its gona get warmer where you are.....:cheers:.... and colder where me n fitzy are .... (maybe for fitzy ????)... JustA makes it easier to keep the beers cool 😜

047E8864-EB43-4328-A94B-43FFE4BE6686.jpeg

4F43B170-5356-4A67-81ED-1A9CBC9A7295.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

When this Caddy was built, GM had a whole division dedicated to making pot metal parts. It was called Ternstedt Division, it later became part of Inland Fisher Guide Division.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2

Some pictures from today’s cruise 

E87B6115-F052-4392-B28F-BFE59DAD8D78.jpeg

C78CA0B0-61B2-4E4A-91F2-2E8FA55A8DE8.jpeg

D4E8CF05-0C4A-44B7-B4E6-04B52C8E8FA7.jpeg

0574AFDC-AC53-4518-BD19-262F81576462.jpeg

B27BCC09-7A4E-4540-857C-ACFDE8849860.jpeg

8F99E3A5-AAC9-41CD-BFBA-01007B07DCA6.jpeg

E9FD2EC2-DB9F-4241-8035-A3106AC44F93.jpeg

EFF4ACF5-E0D8-4592-9790-39EBD8928054.jpeg

2176AFEB-362D-4717-84C8-2E1D2622C295.jpeg

B22ACBC0-6E85-454D-8BFB-F9D2353F69AB.jpeg

0340E9FE-FF4C-4A2E-933E-524C57455D63.jpeg

1229BBAE-607F-4D97-9AFC-93D8472CED11.jpeg

And found a cool shop that had 8 tracks for sale ... o would have grabbed them if I owned a 8 track player !!!

BB65002D-8ED7-43A9-86BC-F6953B15CC5D.jpeg

And this cool display 

EE39471E-3F1E-4826-A609-8AD6D99C8A8A.jpeg

• Like 2