Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Advice for a pony tank

Go to solution Solved by TWO LANE BLACK TOP,

Hey guys and gals, I ordered the pump to carb fuel line, but it won't ship til mid-June. In the meantime I was thinking of rigging a pony tank to get the car running for now.

My question is if it's possible at all to have it gravity feed directly to the carb? Will there be sufficient fuel pressure here? It's just a small 2 barrel. I know mechanical pumps only put out like 8-10 psi, so I think It'll work, but I wanted to ask.

Thanks all

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Solution

Yes it would work....If the floats are good in the carburetor  (not heavy) so it will maintain the correct fuel level in the bowl and operate the needle and seat correctly to meter the proper amount of gas and not constantly flood or not run at all....

Why not just run a temporary soft fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor...??

You should be able to get a couple of male fittings with the the correct threads to screw into the pump and the carb at any auto parts store then clamp the rubber gas hose on to the fittings....Just make sure that it isn't on the exhaust manifold or rubbing against anything that could potentially wear a hole in it....

Rochester two jets are excellent carbs...

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Why not just run a temporary soft fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor...??

I thought about that actually, I just installed the new pump today. I'm still not sure if I have a fuel delivery issue stemming from the tank-to-pump line. So it might not work. Now that I'm thinking about it I might just hook a hose up to it anyways and turn the engine over a few times to see if the pump is even pulling fuel from the tank. If it is, I'll run a rubber line like you suggested, if not I'll rig a pony tank of sorts. 

Thanks for the reply Two Lane

• Like 1

You're Welcome happy to help.... 

If your having an issue with the gas not getting from the tank to the fuel pump and you want to run (not drive) the car...You can disconnect the line running from the tank to the pump and run a temporary line out of a gas can right to the input side of the fuel pump and it will pick up the fuel just like it would if it was coming from the tank....

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

If your having an issue with the gas not getting from the tank to the fuel pump and you want to run (not drive) the car...You can disconnect the line running from the tank to the pump and run a temporary line out of a gas can right to the input side of the fuel pump and it will pick up the fuel just like it would if it was coming from the tank....

Son of a bitch... WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!?
I could kill two stones with one bird because that would also allow me to check to make sure the new pump is working properly.

Thanks again Two Lane

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Yes it would work....If the floats are good in the carburetor  (not heavy) so it will maintain the correct fuel level in the bowl and operate the needle and seat correctly to meter the proper amount of gas and not constantly flood or not run at all....

You should be able to get a couple of male fittings with the the correct threads to screw into the pump and the carb at any auto parts store then clamp the rubber gas hose on to the fittings....Just make sure that it isn't on the exhaust manifold or rubbing against anything that could potentially wear a hole in it....

Rochester two jets are excellent carbs...

havoc. i agree with two lane, get a couple of barbed fittings and use a short length of fuel hose to get you going and use good quality clamps... as a short term fix:cheers:

• Like 1