Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Rust repair panel info required

Hi Everyone, so the Poncho ( now named Mucho Oxidado) is off to a professional next week to have all it's rust removed - goodbye savings! It's been established that it's going to be cheaper and much less hassle in the long run if I can source whatever repro panels are required.

Car is actually pretty good, but specifically it's the filler panel that runs between the bottom of the front windscreen and the dash, the rear panel that runs from the bottom of the rear 'screen to the trunk and the trunk floor. I have found trunk floor panels from usaparts & carid and have tried dozens of searches using all sorts of keywords & phrases but am turning up few results.

Does anyone have some leads for me? There must be someone who makes all sorts of repair sections for these old girls.

1965 Grand Prix.20200520_165506.thumb.jpg.eff9f791432d19387f2b7bf15e0425fc.jpg20200520_165035.thumb.jpg.6babca084d0e0a54b8e8b11262eb4c1f.jpg20191115_171919.thumb.jpg.34af0d6a43f307dc7c00c86d8c75d4d1.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Fitzy - I think for the parts you need, you will need to contact a US-based wrecking yard that specializes in dismantling old classic cars or have someone fab them up for you. I am not aware of these parts being reproduced. If you want a short list of yards, let me know.

frosty, how close do you think fitzy 65 is too a 64 bonni for the parts ??? 

my chassis is coming with a free body shell and the frames are in good nick ? 

maybe fitzy could use them off my shell ?

Or.... 64 pontiac 2 door hard top is the same as a 64 impala, would this be the same case with 65 ????

above the belt line that is :cheers: window seals are the same , front rear glass  is the same 

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

I searched & contacted a number of US wrecking yards but nobody even bothers to return an email. Even USAparts.com haven't bothered to reply, which I find surprising, especially since I want to place an order ASAP. I realise Covid 19 is having an enormous impact, so can only guess plenty of places have shut down for the time being.

SO, Chris (64 Boni) there's every chance that your '64 panels could fit, but do you want to chop up a body that's in good nick? I could send you some measurements if you want to go to all this trouble - everything is welded so you'll have to cut them out.

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

I searched & contacted a number of US wrecking yards but nobody even bothers to return an email. Even USAparts.com haven't bothered to reply, which I find surprising, especially since I want to place an order ASAP. I realise Covid 19 is having an enormous impact, so can only guess plenty of places have shut down for the time being.

SO, Chris (64 Boni) there's every chance that your '64 panels could fit, but do you want to chop up a body that's in good nick? I could send you some measurements if you want to go to all this trouble - everything is welded so you'll have to cut them out.

yes mate, i will be collecting  my chassis from auckland as soon as i can and its got a really tidy 2 door shell.

trust frosty would know if they are close enough for you to use .

i would like his in put as this is my first pontiac and not sure on year model changes.

more than happy to help if i can :cheers:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

Guys, give me a day or so to do some checking. Technically ‘64 was the last year for that generation of Catalina/Bonneville. I have to check with the Grand Prix.

Fitzy, I’ll give you a list of wrecking yards too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 2:04 AM, Frosty said:

Guys, give me a day or so to do some checking. Technically ‘64 was the last year for that generation of Catalina/Bonneville. I have to check with the Grand Prix.

Fitzy, I’ll give you a list of wrecking yards too.

Frosty, did you find out if the belt line on the 65 is the same as a 64 bonny ?

Don't worry about it - I got so fed up with the lack of responses from businesses purporting to be the ultimate source for this and that, I sent the car to a local restorer and he's done an excellent job fabricating & welding.

Yeah, it cost me a packet but the workmanship is second to none. Anyway, thanks for giving it a crack. I'll post photos once I'm home from my current job.

Sorry boys - I got side tracked with my own projects. Sorry I let you down Fitzy. Your wallet may be smarting a bit but at least you know the job will be done right from what you are saying. Please share with us the photos once you have them.

8 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Don't worry about it - I got so fed up with the lack of responses from businesses purporting to be the ultimate source for this and that, I sent the car to a local restorer and he's done an excellent job fabricating & welding.

Yeah, it cost me a packet but the workmanship is second to none. Anyway, thanks for giving it a crack. I'll post photos once I'm home from my current job.

good on ya Fitzy, look forward to the pictures of his handy work👍

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

No need for apologies-once you enter the murky world of converting US dollars and paying through the nose for freight, the cost I ended up with is probably comporable to what it may have been otherwise.

Anyway, I've saved a shitload of money doing heaps myself, so it's all good. At least I now have a professionally finished rust free body that should last another 55 years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fitzy said:

No need for apologies-once you enter the murky world of converting US dollars and paying through the nose for freight, the cost I ended up with is probably comporable to what it may have been otherwise.

Anyway, I've saved a shitload of money doing heaps myself, so it's all good. At least I now have a professionally finished rust free body that should last another 55 years.

yes Fitzy, i have noticed the freight charges have gone up heaps!!! to the point were i have been very careful who i buy off... amazon is a complete no go as they are charging way too much, rockauto are still high but not too bad, i have a mate who has a shipping yard in La and i have used him a few times for gear he can put in a car when its shipped, but that just means i get it in 2 months!!🙄

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

I had a look at CarID.com and their prices were great but because they're an agent and not one warehouse, each item is shipped separately. OK if you're in the US but nightmarish for the rest of us!

An example: remanufactured starter for $30, but over $100 to ship it.

I went ahead coz it was still cheaper than any other option.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2020 at 4:03 AM, Fitzy said:

I had a look at CarID.com and their prices were great but because they're an agent and not one warehouse, each item is shipped separately. OK if you're in the US but nightmarish for the rest of us!

An example: remanufactured starter for $30, but over $100 to ship it.

I went ahead coz it was still cheaper than any other option.

Yikes! That's true love for your Pontiac there mate. ❤️