Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1955 pontic in atlanta i need a good repair guy

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I did a search on Yelp. These shops that claim they work on classic cars and show good customer reviews. There may be more - but at least here are two to call and talk to:

Hightech Transmission Service

7207 Buford Hwy NE

Atlanta, GA 30340

(770) 574-4037

Business website: high-techtransmission.com

Landmark Transmission Center

10435 Alpharetta St

Roswell, GA 30075

(770) 993-0455

landmarktransmission.com

Cool car...Hate to see that you're having transmission issues...I have a couple of questions....First off I'm not trying nor do I want to come across as being a smart ass..or condescending in anyway shape or form... So please don't take it that way...I also don't want to put up inaccurate Info if at all possible....

Are you 100% sure that the trans is a Dynaflow and not a Hydramatic..Or a Powerglide...??

I ask this because Dynaflows were exclusive to the Buick brand and were only used in Buicks...The exception to this is when there was a catastrophic Fire (Burned to the ground) at the Hydramatic plant in Livonia Michigan that shut down production for an extended period of time in the fall of 1953..As a result of that...GM had to scramble to come up with an automatic transmissions for use in cars that were supposed to be equipped with the Hydramatics...So they hastily reengineered the mounting points of the dynaflow trans case for use in other GM cars...They were for sure used in thousands of Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles in 1954 and possibly into early 1955..If you bought one of those cars they came with a certificate that would allow you to take the car back to the dealership and have the Dynaflow swapped out for a Hydramatic free of charge...Once production restarted and the supply chain was up and going again...Automatic trans (hydramatic) equipped Pontiacs of that same time period used the cast iron cased Chevrolet sourced Powerglide...Instead of the Dynaflow...The Powerglide was adapted to the Pontiac engine via a steel band adapter plate about an inch or so thick so it would bolt up to the Pontiac engine block...As with the Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs the Pontiacs also came with the Certificate to swap out the Powerglide for the Hydramatic free of charge..The seperate steel adapter band between the engine block and the bellhousing remained afterwards and continued to be used on the Chevrolets equipped with the cast iron case  Powerglide transmission until it was updated to an aluminium case in the early 1960s...

If your Pontiac 100% for sure does have a Dynaflow...Instead of a Hydramatic which may or may not Be possible..?? Since it is on a commercial type chassis and could be or not..??? More closely related to the very early 1955 producton Cadillac ambulances and hearses..?? Than a standard Pontiac station wagon...

If you could be more specific as to exactly what the symptoms of your transmission  problems are...It could very well be just a simple adjustment to cure the problem...That could be easily done yourself...There are lots of pages of adjustments in this manual... For different symptoms....Too many to try to post them all....Without norrowing the issue down some...

TLBT..

15893326074845528813464832297872.jpg

15893326475961843526551007281410.jpg

15893326864206567344359157051066.jpg

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.