Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

onetrick56's 1964 Grand Prix

2020 September
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

Question

Selling this Running 455,  what’s a good asking price? Just trying to make room in my shop. Feedback appreciated. 

B020C621-32AF-464D-A865-CF8E1B6F963C.jpeg

8842E801-9097-4949-A55A-C426A4679058.jpeg

7 answers to this question

The easy answer is whatever someone is willing to pay. That said, assuming this engine is original and not cobbled together, it appears to be out of a large B-body Pontiac with #15 heads (1.96 intake and 1.66 exhaust valves). So it is a valuable core 455 engine. So $500-$1000. I'd start by asking $700-750 and see if you get any takers.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Thank you so much for that info, I currently have it listed for $500 and still get alot of low ballers. Here is some more pictures of numbers stamped on that i have no clue what they mean....

3c254c91d4e54d7c99a29d6adc1f945e.jpg

cd6558078bb2467a8e7008272bf7c8b8.jpg

ac0d506dd53d4eeaae3f4faacd1d15f3.jpg

Great site for these questions. http://www.wallaceracing.com/engine.htm i would ask 1k. any history? vids of it running.what were you told? curious as to what type of remote filter was run. 

B951AF50-7DF9-471C-AF4A-09B33436EFC0.jpeg

7C17D492-B9A9-4DCC-ACDE-4152120EF961.jpeg

YH indicates this is a large car with an automatic transmission - 360HP 10.00 CR. 1970 is the only year that the 455 was 10.00 or 10.25:1 (considered high compression) - after that compression dropped to from 7.6-8.4:1  for all 455s built after 1970.

Just sold it for $1000 to a guy that has a 68 GTO, he was super excited about it

• Like 1

Congratulations!!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Featured Topics

• Similar Content

• By G118
      I'm new to the forum and also to the build world.  Just want some good respectful, opinions, and ideas, how how to build my 73 grand prix 455. First like to start with what size carb and flowmasters?
    • By Bruce
      HI I have a 455 that I need more info on the heads are number 15 and the block is 0147946yh. any info on what I have and a value Thank You
    • By 70Goat
      Good afternoon all-this is my first post here .  I have a 1970 GTO that is getting a 455 installed ('73 block casted in October 1972 with 6X heads).  What alternator and power steering brackets do I need?  I know the brackets have to be the same year but any advice?  Thanks. 

• By Ringo64
      Always interesting:

• By steveeoaktree
      Well fellas, I will finally have some more time Saturday to get to tweaking the issues with the '76 GP's idle/accel issues. Started with running terrible and popping back through the carb. After a new fuel pump (smelled fuel in the oil), wix inline filter and new lines, and 2 Rochester carb rebuilds (soaked the parts overnight in the carb solvent the 2nd time as well as installing a new brass float), re gapped the new plugs to .045 that were gapped at .080 by the seller, new vaccum lines, and I also have the new pcv valve and lines (there wasn't one) to install Sat. It now accelerates MUCH better, but idles like it wants to die at stoplights (and does die sometimes) but starts right back up. I thought maybe to tweak the vaccum lines to see how they work best b/c some diagrams show a "t" going to the vac advance with one going to the manifold, and the other going to the carb... and some diagrams just show a single line to the carb. I also don't know it the missing pcv would cause any minor idling or accelerating issues, but I do know that it should be there. the timing is solid. I am going to drain the tank again and refill it with 89 octane fuel to also see if that helps. I am curious though, as it seems to only try to die after it's warmed up. I know there is a choke internal in the intake but it's tough to find a diagram specific enough to list all of the line connections for a 1976 400 2bbl... (most show them for the 4 bbl) If any of y'all have any tips, I'll surely give them a try either tomorrow after work, or Saturday when I do the rest... Have interior pieces to dye inbetween as well so it should be a great Poncho day -- just would feel much better if I could get this baby to run smooth! She's sooo close...

Thank y'all  for your time, and all of the guidance that you've given.

Stevee

Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.