Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

onetrick56's 1964 Grand Prix

2020 September
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

65 GP 389

Question

Hi Guys, my GP is ex California and as such has a pipe from LH rocker cover to air cleaner (to assist PCV and keep emissions down I assume.) I have seen photos of other 389s and there appears to be some sort of rocker cover plug that I guess other states allowed when emissions weren't mandated.

I'd like one of those plugs. Anyone got any leads as to where I might source one? Yes, I can fabricate something but would prefer a factory item. Perhaps even a non CA issued rocker cover that is solid and has no outlet whatsoever.

I have one more question. Trying to locate a US wrecking yard online is proving tough. Does anyone know of a good un with a few GPs lying around?

3 answers to this question

Fitzy - they are readily available from the catalog companies and they are not that expensive. Just search for valve cover plug.

Here is one example.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/plug-valve-cover-hole-oil-filler-tube/182136?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fpage%3D2%26search_terms%3Dvalve%2Bcover%2Bgrommet%26top_parent%3D10000%26year%3D

image.png.ec5ef459c53c24a91e5c17a0136fabb4.png

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

If you can't find one at your local Auto Parts Store, almost all the Pontiac Vendors should have them.

VC PLUGS.jpg

Thanks fellas, that's a great help. I love Sprint's comment about my 'local parts store.' Sorry Sprint, I'm in Australia and my Poncho is probably one of perhaps 6 in the entire country.  Be assured that my local parts store wouldn't know a Pontiac from a Honda.

Having said that, here's an uplifting little story. I needed some correct Pontiac light blue engine enamel. Yes, it's available from the US but can't be shipped because it's an aerosol. After a fruitless search in all the panel shops and 'local parts stores' I was about to give up when I saw a little place I'd never been to and thought 'oh well, I'll try them, just in case.' I told the guy what I needed and he showed me the VHT catalogue. There it was, the CORRECT Pontiac blue, alongside the later metallic blue. So I ordered it (along with some primer) and to my total amazement, got to pick it up a week later.

So, I will now eat my own words and declare that my 'local parts store' came through for me. I guarantee I have just exhausted their Pontiac parts supply though...