Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1972 pontiac lemans sport radiator support

I need to replace the radiator support on my 72 lemans sport, which seem they don't  make it. Someone told me that a 68-70 GTO radiator support will fit, but with some modification . has anyone replaced their radiator support?. Thanks

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Mario - quick question about your 72 Lemans Sport. Which front end is on your car? Do you have the GTO Endura front end or the standard Lemans front end. It makes a difference on the core support.

Also what shape is your current core support? Rusted? Damaged? And where?

Standard Lemans front end

image.thumb.png.ef4a5309a874c75baea4d037d7073de7.png

GTO Endura Front End

image.png.c05d7e51f9443a2c6fc1fb5cdf66a665.png

Edited by Frosty

My is a standard, and the the core  support is rusted to beyond repair in the bottom were the the rubber bushing is .

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Mario - quick question about your 72 Lemans Sport. Which front end is on your car? Do you have the GTO Endura front end or the standard Lemans front end. It makes a difference on the core support.

Also what shape is your current core support? Rusted? Damaged? And where?

Standard Lemans front end

image.thumb.png.ef4a5309a874c75baea4d037d7073de7.png

GTO Endura Front End

image.png.c05d7e51f9443a2c6fc1fb5cdf66a665.png

21 hours ago, mario castro said:

I need to replace the radiator support on my 72 lemans sport, which seem they don't  make it. Someone told me that a 68-70 GTO radiator support will fit, but with some modification . has anyone replaced their radiator support?. Thanks

Check your local Craigslist.  Might be a donor car close.   Checked OPG and they sell repair parts for your problem.  29.00

https://www.opgi.com/lemans/1972/sheet-metal-body-panels/core-support/

Have you tried Ames?

https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/Search_Web?order_number_e=NDk1MzQwMw%3D%3D &method_1=&method_2=Y&on=Y&search_method=2&cat_rowid=1&search_year=1972&search_keyword=core+support&sort=0

Sherman would be a good chance.

https://www.carid.com/sherman/

Frosty....Would Indyman have one?   Seems like he had a whole front clip.

Edited by JUSTA6

That's what I suspected. You can purchase a new core support for a 71-72 GTO (essentially for the Endura clip). However, you will have to cut off the top flat portion of the new core support and transfer the old portion from your rusted one (I'm assuming for the moment that the top of your existing core support is still re-usable and has good metal).

The reason is the front fenders between the Endura fenders and stock fenders are not quite the same and the bolt holes are not in the same exact location. Indyman Joe and I have talked about this before (Joe owns a  near stock 72 Luxury Lemans with a stock front end while I own a '72 Lemans Sport convertible with the GTO Endura front end). If he sees this thread, I'll ask him to elaborate more as he was the one that pointed out the differences to me. The bolt holes at the bottom of the core support to the frame are identical between the Lemans, GTO, and GT-37.

JUSTA has some good ideas Mario.

JUSTA - Joe sold me his used core support, along with the fenders and hoods. It's rusted at the bottom too, just like Mario's. It's also for the Endura front end, which is why I bought. At one time Joe was thinking of switching his Lemans to the Endura front end but in the end he decided to stay with what he has.