Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

New to this forum and this is my first post.  I have a 1968 Verduro Green GTO coming back from a body off restoration in the next couple of weeks.  I can hardly stand the wait.  Fifty years ago in high school, drawing pictures of the '68 Goat kept me awake in class for three years.  School was easy and boring but the GTO was interesting and gorgeous.  Although I have several interesting cars as well as a superb daily driver, the '68 Goat was always my favorite design of all time.  I bought a nice driver about 10 years ago, and when I started seeing some small rust bubbles appear under the paint soon afterwards, and since I had a tenant who was restoring  a car for my best friend's son, I decided to let him take apart my car to see what's what.  After the car was completely taken apart, the guy left and the car sat for several years, disassembled.  About a year and a half ago, I got a new body shop tenant who agreed to restore the car in exchange for rent.  The car was supposed to be done by the end of last year but there was more rust repair and metal replacement.  The car is in the paint booth now and should be out of paint by next week, afterwhich the interior goes back in and it gets test driven.  I pretty much left if stock as I always loved it as it first appeared, however, I did add 4 wheel disc brakes and 17" wheels and tires.  I'll post photos when it comes out of paint.  As stated I have a few interesting cars including my daily driver, a 600hp 2010 Jaguar XKR (just a beautiful, reliable, quick DB9 look alike with better performance), my weekend canyon carver, a restored/modified '72 De Tomaso Pantera (a 500+hp missile powered go cart that's Nascar loud), a 2002 Jaguar XKR convertible for open top cruising, a 1978 Datsun 280Z that I've owned from new and will undergo its 3rd restoration after the GTO is done, a '58 Corvette undergoing a restomod complete restoration now which will take a few more years.  Below are a few photos.

I'll report back after the GTO is available.

DSCF8217 (1280x960) (1024x768).jpg

DSCF8994 (640x480).jpg

DSCF0522 (1280x960).jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke to the shop owner today, and he told me that my Goat will be out of the paint booth by Tuesday afternoon, next week.  I told him "I hope so as I'd like to drive it before I'm dead from the virus or otherwise."  I'll be at the shop Tuesday afternoon with camera in hand, so hopefully that evening I'll have some new pictures of a completely painted GTO.  Heavy, heavy anticipation....

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I can barely wait to be driving it.  When we added disc brakes I had to upsize the wheels a bit.  I wanted something that still look classic and somewhat period correct but thought the gold would look good against the green paint.  I really like the way they look.  Next stop, a real test drive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update:  Engine installation was finally completed today which just leaves some cosmetic work left like exterior door handles installation of the hood tachometer, etc., and a test drive.  So, hopefully I'll have it home next weekend and will take a bunch of photos.  Can't wait!  I did participate in a Father's Day Car event last Sunday.  A group called Malibu Autobah organized a drive from Dodger Stadium near downtown Los Angeles to Malibu.  It wasn't the usual car show, 90 minute canyon run to the ocean, but was nice to do anyway on an early Sunday morning.  Limited to 100 cars with Covid 19 social distancing and masks required, there were mostly exotics, Lambos, McLarens, one Ferrari, my Pantera, lots of Porsches, etc.  I was parked next to a modern Ferrari, and you can see just how diminutive the Pantera looks in comparison as well as much lower.  My favortie picture was taken by their mobile camera crew on the 101 Freeway on the way to Malibu.  The link is below.

Father's Day 2020 Photo Album | Malibu Autobahn

The link doesn't appear to be working, so here is the photo.Father's Day Malibu Autobahn 2020.webp

Edited by tberg
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another frustrating attempt to pick up the GTO.  I got there and buffing powder in every nook and cranny, hood doesn't close properly and needs adjustment, hidden headlights don't work, hood tachometer isn't functioning (even though I asked them if it had been tested and they said it was working), started the car and the oil pressure gauge read zero and did not move, shifter plate was missing (although we found it in the car afterwards), rear trunk GTO emblem missing.  I called the owner of the shop (who is attempting to buy the property he leases from me) and told him I was highly disappointed and that this was very unprofessional and that other car projects I had would not be coming his way.  So, another day without my goat.  Maybe tomorrow.....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

64 kiwi boni,

I had certainly wanted to, and if there had been oil pressure showing, I would have.  But I was on a tight schedule yesterday, and in fact, all of this week, and I didn't have time to wait around for a tow truck  At that point I reached out to the owner of the shop who just had open heart surgery last Monday, just to tell him how disappointed and unprofessional I thought his manager was in giving me back the car in this condition.  He insisted he wanted to take care of it, so I left the car.  My reunion will just have to be postponed a few more days.

• Sad 1

Damn T, hate to hear about all the problems your having. Hopefully the owner can get all this straightened out and get you fixed up sooner then later bro!

• Like 2