Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

The Grand Am | Progression

Disclaimer | This will probably end up being very long winded, and very picture heavy. Only read on if you're willing to endure the pain that has a lot of writing. I do this, because I enjoy talking about it, so, without further ado, the story of my 2003 Grand Am GT.

The Purchase | Oddly enough, I hadn't intended to buy the Grand Am when I got it, in fact, I didn't even know there was one available. I had been eying a 2001 Eclipse Convertible at the time, and felt that it was to be my next car. Got to the dealership, the Eclipse was sold, despite me stating I'd be there on the day I arrived. Regardless, I saw this car sitting out front, and well, long story short, I got it. This was April of 2005. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the car then. The best I've got of it's stock image is from 2008, I didn't really do anything to it for those 3 years.

2008a.png

2008b.png

The Not So Great Moment | Flash forward to a year later. Coming home from work in the middle of winter, a deer popped out in front of me around a corner. At 55, I didn't really have a chance to hit the brakes, let alone stop. The damage was extensive, however, thanks to Vermont, deer vs car doesn't affect insurance rates, and I was covered for all ~$4500 worth of damages.

Deer.jpg

The headlight was literally dangling by the wires used to keep it lit. I drove the car for about 2 weeks like that, duct tape holding together pieces (Redneck Style, I know :cheers:). Finally got it into the stop, and here was the end result.

DeerFixed.jpg

Modifications | This last winter, I finally got my finances in order, and began the browsing of mods for the car. On a small vacation to CT for a weekend, I met up with a friend who ended up swapping headlights up even for me (as he was trading in his car soon). So, I went from the stock lights, to almost identical with black housings instead of chrome. About a month later, this same friend presented me with an offer. His 17" Eagle 185s, with rubber, for $600 cash. So much for the lip kit, the rims were mine. Sitting in my basement were also a set of drilled and slotted rotors for the front, and a mod day in late spring (it snowed too, go figure) got me some new sneakers.

ModBrakes.jpg

ModWheels.jpg

Other mods have been put on since, including a set of Eibach Lowering Springs with a set of brand new KYB GR2 struts. I debadged the car, finishing it by flashlight one night as I got ready for the Grand Am meet in Albany NY last summer. Upgraded to the dual post style mirrors found on the earlier Grand Ams as well. Also installed the fall prior was an MPRacing Cold Air Intake as well. This is just the beginning as well, here's a few of my favorite shots from the fall, notice the better quality, just got a new camera. :lol2:

2009d.png

2009e.png

2009b.png

2009a.png

2009c.png

Running Mod List

17" Eagle 185s 'Chrome'

Eibach Lowering Springs w/KYB GR2 Struts

D/S Front Rotors

Dual Post Mirror 'Upgrade' (Were available on early Grand Ams)

MPRacing Cold Air Intake

Completely Debadged

Black Housing, Amber Corner Headlights

'GT' Headrest Inserts

SC/T Style Spoiler (Awaiting Paint & Install)

F&R STB's (Awaiting Install)

Rear Sway Bar (Awaiting Install)

2010 Mod Plans

Carbon Fiber SC/T Style Hood (Payment Made, Awaiting Shipping)

SC/T Lip Kit

Custom Front Plate Filler (To read FUSION instead of PONTIAC using same font)

Custom Center Caps (CF with Fusion inscription)

Potentially a custom gas door that locks in place and pops out with a button...

Tint

Okay, enough rambling... :lol2: Enjoy!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice. sucks that you damaged your car. did you stop to find the deer?

Yup, it was very much dead... Definitely didn't suffer, upon further review (I live in VT, what do you think I did with the deer?) it's neck was broken along with three legs... I'm assuming that if the initial impact didn't kill him, the head first shot into the pavement that broke his neck, definitely did.

Yup, it was very much dead... Definitely didn't suffer, upon further review (I live in VT, what do you think I did with the deer?) it's neck was broken along with three legs... I'm assuming that if the initial impact didn't kill him, the head first shot into the pavement that broke his neck, definitely did.

deer jerky? i asked about the deer cuz there was pic in G6P of a deer completely under the hood of a Bimmer (anyone member that?). jus wanted to know if the same happend to you.

deer jerky? i asked about the deer cuz there was pic in G6P of a deer completely under the hood of a Bimmer (anyone member that?). jus wanted to know if the same happend to you.

HAHA I remember!

Yeah, VERY nice GA! :badGT:

I do remember that. :D But I actually just had a local cut it up for me to have some excellent tasting venison steaks. Mm...

SAWEET so any performance mods coming? and painting ur brake calipers mayb?

The painting of the calipers are in my mind, but we'll see what happens, it is a DD, so I'd have to find a time to not drive it for a little bit. As for the performance, other than handling, not so much yet. I do have big plans for the car, somewhat secretive at this point, mainly because I'm not sure exactly what I want to do, or if I'll ever be able to afford it. Just know that if I get there, it'll be awesome. :D

what color are you thinking for the calipers?

You know, I'm completely up in the air. I feel like orange would look tacky, red in my opinion is over used, yellow probably wouldn't flow right either. My other idea would be to paint the caliper black and then the bracket a silver/chrome/white color. I've seen images that really give it a good look.

You know, I'm completely up in the air. I feel like orange would look tacky, red in my opinion is over used, yellow probably wouldn't flow right either. My other idea would be to paint the caliper black and then the bracket a silver/chrome/white color. I've seen images that really give it a good look.

i think an exact orange would look good if the car was two toned with black, like a balance. red, correct answer. black looks good, but blends in with whats there but do look good especially with rims like yours. mine are black. i like them but plan on redoing them. what if you do black with orange?

See, I've also been contemplating the idea of going with a big brake upgrade kit. Whether it be Camaro or Corvette brakes, which makes me a bit more lienant (did I spell that right?) to spend time and money on something like that. We'll see though, it's a new year. :)

See, I've also been contemplating the idea of going with a big brake upgrade kit. Whether it be Camaro or Corvette brakes, which makes me a bit more lienant (did I spell that right?) to spend time and money on something like that. We'll see though, it's a new year. :lol2:

It's definitely worth the upgrade, I'm going to be doing a Big Brake Upgrade as well as soon as the turbo goes in

looks good cant wait to see the CF SC/T hood on. mine looks good even with the pics i took.

are you gonna paint the hood or leave it CF.

i vote for two toning the caliper/bracket. ill be doing it soon, waiting for it to warm up a little.

Hood will stay CF for the time being. That could change down the road, but I doubt it...

Trying to decide if I want to put it on this weekend, despite winter still being here. Truly haven't decided yet.