Jump to content
Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

onetrick56's 1964 Grand Prix

2020 September
of the Month

  • Welcome!

    Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

  • 0

Windshield wipers


Question

I've been trying to find replacement windshield wipers for my 1997 Firebird.....

Have checked every Auto parts store in the area...To no avail...Everyplace says they are not in stock anywhere in their network....And they can't  get them...The 1998 to 2002  wipers are readily available but not 1993 to 1997..The 98 to 02 are standard 24 inch wipers whereas the 93 to 97 are 24 inch with a reverse J hook design which is exactly opposite of the 98 to 02....And they will not work on either of my cars..(96 and 97 ) Any ideas on where to source a couple of sets..

Have thought about just getting the 98 to 02s and swapping the blades..(refills)..but I really don't want too do that if I can avoid it...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks..TLBT

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Founders

Have you tried Rock Auto or other large online retailers? Hopefully just a shortage in your region. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

  • 0
12 minutes ago, Ringo64 said:

Have you tried Rock Auto or other large online retailers? Hopefully just a shortage in your region. 

Yes tried Rock Auto....They swore they were the right ones...So I ordered them...The ones that I received were for 98 to 02..with the standard J hook setup......Of course they basically said that I was a dumb ass And didn't know what I was talking about and they assured me again that they were the right ones.....I was kinda pissed after that.....So I said the hell with it and sent them back....

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Founders
1 minute ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Yes tried Rock Auto....They swore they were the right ones...So I ordered them...The ones that I received were for 98 to 02..with the standard J hook setup......Of course they basically said that I was a dumb ass And didn't know what I was talking about and they assured me again that they were the right ones.....

Ouch, that’s rough of them. They used to be a partner here years ago. See if I have a contact for them still. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Ringo64 said:

Ouch, that’s rough of them. They used to be a partner here years ago. See if I have a contact for them still. 

Thanks....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

All this cheap plastic crap that breaks when you look at it wrong. HUGE pet peeve of mine esp when they charge ya $20.00 ea.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

All this cheap plastic crap that breaks when you look at it wrong. HUGE pet peeve of mine esp when they charge ya $20.00 ea.  

Good Ol Anco's will always be a favorite.  Real metal and you can get refills for your originals or their replacements.

https://ancowipers.com/

Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Forgive the stupid question but if you cannot find windshield wipers can you get a set of wiper arms from a wrecking yard for the newer car the install them on your car to ensure that you have a consistent supply?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Founders
12 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Ouch, that’s rough of them. They used to be a partner here years ago. See if I have a contact for them still. 

 

12 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Thanks....

Found a general contact email we had for them. Reached out. Hopefully something comes of it :) . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
16 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

I've been trying to find replacement windshield wipers for my 1997 Firebird.....

Have checked every Auto parts store in the area...To no avail...Everyplace says they are not in stock anywhere in their network....And they can't  get them...The 1998 to 2002  wipers are readily available but not 1993 to 1997..The 98 to 02 are standard 24 inch wipers whereas the 93 to 97 are 24 inch with a reverse J hook design which is exactly opposite of the 98 to 02....And they will not work on either of my cars..(96 and 97 ) Any ideas on where to source a couple of sets..

Have thought about just getting the 98 to 02s and swapping the blades..(refills)..but I really don't want too do that if I can avoid it...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks..TLBT

Two lane, several things here. First can you show pictures of the wiper arm, the wiper insert and the wiper blade? As that might help.

Additionally these things come to mind. Replacement blades are quite easy to put in, so are the wiper inserts bad, this is the part the actual rubber blade installs into? Are the wiper arms bad? If not I would tend to take that path. If not that and the wiper inserts are bad than there are a couple of other ways to go. One if you wish to keep the bird original than see if you can find what you need at a bone yard, make it as new as possible than store it. You should be able to use the parts from a Camaro of the same year if you can’t find a bird. If you can get more than one set to make new you’ll have one to use and one to store. 

 

If you can only find one than this other thought I have may work. See if the wiper spline on the other year birds are the same as your year, most likely they are. If so change out the whole assembly, arm, wiper insert and blade. Then keep the the OEM rebuilt units as backups for when you want them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Sorry I've taken so long to respond...Have been dealing with weather related issues...(Downed trees and flooding)..

I found an old school hole in the wall parts store here in my area and they had exactly what I needed....

The main issue is the wiper arms on the early 4th gen F bodies are a reverse J hook design whereas the later model F cars..98 to 02 are a standard J hook design....The actual blades ( rubber part )themselves are the same....24 inch...and will interchange with each other....So in the future I can just get the later model ones and just swap out the blades....from the new ones to the old ones....

The first photo shows the reverse J hook design which the J part is up instead of facing the other way..J part down like the newer models..The next two photos are the blades for the earlier models...The last 2 photos are blades from the later models...and will not work on the earlier models..

Thanks for all the timely responses and they are appreciated....

TLBT..

15811883887875101488089752048012.jpg

1581188626417941585999189179259.jpg

15811886602666188000275419734528.jpg

15811886783261710736762409222818.jpg

15811887179338933059629912491610.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 2/5/2020 at 9:08 PM, Ringo64 said:

Ouch, that’s rough of them. They used to be a partner here years ago. See if I have a contact for them still. 

Thanks Ringo..

They contacted me and We are good to go...Found the blades somewhere else,but if anything pops up I will consider using them in the future.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Founders
15 minutes ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Thanks Ringo..

They contacted me and We are good to go...Found the blades somewhere else,but if anything pops up I will consider using them in the future.....

Anytime! Glad you guys were able to work out what happened

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.