Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

I am also thinking of deleting the factory fan, and fitting a thermostatically controlled electric one on the back side of the radiator.

My reasoning is that the factory fan is not thermostatic, so its pulling power straight from cold start, it has no real shroud to make it way more efficient.

It will increase hp justA by removing it.

Β What you guys think ???Β πŸ™„

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

10 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

I am also thinking of deleting the factory fan, and fitting a thermostatically controlled electric one on the back side of the radiator.

My reasoning is that the factory fan is not thermostatic, so its pulling power straight from cold start, it has no real shroud to make it way more efficient.

It will increase hp justA by removing it.

Β What you guys think ???Β πŸ™„

I had huge heating issues with the GTO when 1st put er on the road.Β  Was very easy to make a pretty good lookin shroud that did make a huge difference.Β  Β But did not solve the problem.Β  Eventually replaced the entire system from thermostat to radiator and a correct shroud and fan. (mostly for looks) Now runs in the 170 to 190 range depending on outside temps.Β Β :clapping:Β Considered electric fans,Β  esp since I could make it continue to cool after shutting the car off.Β  Woodward Dream Cruise is for the VETRAN cruisers to know how to avoid the parking lot conditions.Β  Β Overheating cars and their owners trying to figure out if the fuse for the fans has let go or the thermostat for the fans messed up or is it a problem with the fans?Β  No matter what the problem......you can count on it happening at the worse possible time.Β  Β JUSTA my .02.:my2cents:Β  But chose to K.I.S.S. it and eliminate the need to carry that much more stuff in the trunk.Β  Already carry coil, ign parts, fluids, tents,chairs on N on.Β  Justa glad thats one huge trunk!:cheers:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Boxes ticked today.

Β Drive shaft at engineers, will get new tube, universals and balance, be ready next week.

Brake hoses dropped off at my mates brake shop, he is going to make some really cool hoses... more to comeπŸ™„

Hoses for power steer dropped off at the hydraulic hose guy ( old customer of mine) and he will reproduce the factory hose and supply some 3/8 return hose.

I had a really hard time finding a litre can of satin black paint in this town to use on the radiator cross member and inner guards, i justA hope what i have will workπŸ™„... thats tomorrows job, sand blast, prep, paint the radiator cross member.

heck if i get time i will start work on both inner guards tooπŸ‘

Β Called in and saw my radiator mate, he was humming and hurring about the cost of the new core, i said to him i could buy a rock auto aluminum one( most likely made in china) for $352 usd or get a ames copper one $599 usd both plus freight and tax andΒ Β conversion rate to nz dollar.Β 

or i could pay what ever it is for him to make me one and know that if anything goes wrong with it,Β that he would stand by his work... enough said !!πŸ‘

he has ordered the custom made core and once it arrives, straighten the tanks off my bent one and solder it all together.

Job done:cheers:

Hope that's a custom 4 core.Β  Go big, always better.Β :cheers:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JUSTA6 said:

I had huge heating issues with the GTO when 1st put er on the road.Β  Was very easy to make a pretty good lookin shroud that did make a huge difference.Β  Β But did not solve the problem.Β  Eventually replaced the entire system from thermostat to radiator and a correct shroud and fan. (mostly for looks) Now runs in the 170 to 190 range depending on outside temps.Β Β :clapping:Β Considered electric fans,Β  esp since I could make it continue to cool after shutting the car off.Β  Woodward Dream Cruise is for the VETRAN cruisers to know how to avoid the parking lot conditions.Β  Β Overheating cars and their owners trying to figure out if the fuse for the fans has let go or the thermostat for the fans messed up or is it a problem with the fans?Β  No matter what the problem......you can count on it happening at the worse possible time.Β  Β JUSTA my .02.:my2cents:Β  But chose to K.I.S.S. it and eliminate the need to carry that much more stuff in the trunk.Β  Already carry coil, ign parts, fluids, tents,chairs on N on.Β  Justa glad thats one huge trunk!:cheers:

Yes that’s a very good point mateΒ 

we do lots of cruises that drive around in convoy really slow , like the Christmas parade etc and that’s why I am thinking to go electric , to get that cfm up at low speeds πŸ‘

and good point about the four coreΒ 

I will call in on Monday and ask Maurice the rad man if he is building me a four rowerπŸ‘

• Like 2

I've been thinking about the same thing for a while now to Kiwi. I'veΒ got a buddy that's been trying to convince me to go electric. Justa makes a real good point. I've been at the Dream Cruise a number of times and in other places where the roads or interstate was like a parking lot. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. Also, everybody that I've talked to about putting in an electric fan talks about the increased horse power. I wouldn't think it could actually be more the 2-3 horses. Does anybody know how much of aΒ horse power again you actually get?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

I've been thinking about the same thing for a while now to Kiwi. I'veΒ got a buddy that's been trying to convince me to go electric. Justa makes a real good point. I've been at the Dream Cruise a number of times and in other places where the roads or interstate was like a parking lot. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. Also, everybody that I've talked to about putting in an electric fan talks about the increased horse power. I wouldn't think it could actually be more the 2-3 horses. Does anybody know how much of aΒ horse power again you actually get?

Seems like the old debate over electric water pumps back in the day was 6-9hp. Factor in the cost/added weight plus an extra expensive belt on a street package, not worth my time/$$$.Β  I'm guessingΒ less HP for the fan setup as there is no drag like the water pump moving liquid.Β  There would have to be some HP gain.

• Like 1

I agree that there would have to be some HP gain and weight reduction but had no idea it would be that high. I was honestly figuring 2-3hpΒ would be about it. Thanks bud.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wrongway said:

I agree that there would have to be some HP gain and weight reduction but had no idea it would be that high. I was honestly figuring 2-3hpΒ would be about it. Thanks bud.

Justa guesstimate.:lol2:

• Like 2

The radiator support cross member that i have as a replacement had one spot of rust to cut out, so in with a patch, and i sand blasted the whole thing and painted it with my new devilbiss gun that i bought like 4 years ago and have never used!!πŸ™„Β what i dream to use compared to my cheap one i have been using for the last 30 years !!...hind site tells me i should have bought one long ago!:)7E307732-95F9-460F-B5B4-15014F1B459D.jpeg

4B3F27EE-696B-4BB5-A988-159813AF173F.jpeg

BC83E349-1400-44CA-AC26-7C220DA09543.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

I painted it in enamel and stain black, very happy with the results, justA lots of sandingΒ cleaning and prep, but worth it as you can see, and as i go along i am justA wire buffing all my bolts and painting them black with a quick drying enamel also in satin black. she is never going to be a show car, but will be nice and clean.:cheers:Β 7B0E58F6-AFEB-4B95-BBAC-8C57DA4475C4.jpeg

EF293567-CB38-40B4-AA1B-24F2C4273615.jpeg

D15B9BCD-942F-4BA1-89A9-76D107F7350D.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

The thermostat housing was staring at me and i knew i was always going to pull the thermostat and replace it, so off it came and i hit it with the wire buff to find a wtf moment !...surely in 1964 the housing was not made in china???.

Any way it got buffed, sand blasted and painted ready for a new thermostatΒ πŸ‘CDE4DB99-8401-4F9E-B4CC-37DC7C6DFB23.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Next mission was to pull the inner guard off the driver side fender and sand off the staples holding what is left of the dust flaps, not sure what to do about replacing them, has anyone done this or do i justA leave them off ?????πŸ™„

9E005425-0587-49B5-AE3B-FFE81845A444.jpeg

A9748C2F-DC33-4DE1-9B63-B96DCDDAE990.jpeg

Got this one buffed and sand blasted out side before it started to rain !!😑.......oh look C26B4807-5F8A-40CA-8908-BC41D864BCE3.jpeg

ITs beer O clock !!!!:cheers:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

Thanks Wrong way, its justA getting to the fun stuff now where i get to assemble everything including all the body panels i prepped back early last year when we where in lock down. ( drivers fender yet to be straightened )

Am going to look at buying some paint to do all the inner sections of the engine bay so i dont have to mask everything latter.

Am thinking of going with high opacity white and put a perl over the top....Β πŸ™„

And once again i have bit the bullet and am going electric fan,Β πŸ‘

hay question for you,,, does your e brake cables run under your trans cross member or over the top??Β πŸ™„

on your 63 ?πŸ™„

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

I painted it in enamel and stain black, very happy with the results, justA lots of sandingΒ cleaning and prep, but worth it as you can see, and as i go along i am justA wire buffing all my bolts and painting them black with a quick drying enamel also in satin black. she is never going to be a show car, but will be nice and clean.:cheers:Β 7B0E58F6-AFEB-4B95-BBAC-8C57DA4475C4.jpeg

EF293567-CB38-40B4-AA1B-24F2C4273615.jpeg

D15B9BCD-942F-4BA1-89A9-76D107F7350D.jpeg

Looking sooo good.

• Like 2

My brake cable runs under my cross member bro. But I'm honestly not sure if that's how the factory did it. So much was changed on this car by the time I got her. For example, when they put the 428/400 in. It looks like it had a slim Jim trans from the factory. The trans tunnel wasn't wide enough so the 400 turbo was actually touching the floor, like pushed up tight. The drive shaft was pushed all of the way up into the trans with no wiggle room, again pushed in tight like it was wedged in between the trans and rear end yoke. The trans had a 4x6 (guessing on the exact size) piece of thick steel bolted to it and that was welded to the trans mount, no rubber. Once I got engine and trans out I spent over an hour beating the trans mount out with a BFH, it to was wedged into place. But yes, the brake cable was under the trans cross memberΒ and still is bro.Β 

• Like 1

Oh, by the way bud, when you start putting your panels on or just have them out messing with them would you mind posting a picture of both fenders. In particular the front, lower portion between the wheel opening andΒ the bumper section. No rush Justa whenever. Thanks bro

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

My brake cable runs under my cross member bro. But I'm honestly not sure if that's how the factory did it. So much was changed on this car by the time I got her. For example, when they put the 428/400 in. It looks like it had a slim Jim trans from the factory. The trans tunnel wasn't wide enough so the 400 turbo was actually touching the floor, like pushed up tight. The drive shaft was pushed all of the way up into the trans with no wiggle room, again pushed in tight like it was wedged in between the trans and rear end yoke. The trans had a 4x6 (guessing on the exact size) piece of thick steel bolted to it and that was welded to the trans mount, no rubber. Once I got engine and trans out I spent over an hour beating the trans mount out with a BFH, it to was wedged into place. But yes, the brake cable was under the trans cross memberΒ and still is bro.Β 

Thanks Wrong way, thats the path i was thinking they ran but justA wasn't 100% sure,πŸ‘

24 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Oh, by the way bud, when you start putting your panels on or just have them out messing with them would you mind posting a picture of both fenders. In particular the front, lower portion between the wheel opening andΒ the bumper section. No rush Justa whenever. Thanks bro

Will do Mate, both are justA sitting here, i will get some picturesΒ of the inside of each and post themΒ πŸ‘

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Here ya go wrongway this is a shot of my original drivers side fender I have yet to take a little dent out of and the passenger side fender I cut the rust out of back in March 2020 during lock downΒ 

Β 

Β 

A00CD41B-A0B7-4852-99C1-F4FC81A77F31.jpeg

0358119B-AE18-48A1-8413-AA4013ADEA6D.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

Iv heard them called body clips but when I was replacing some of them they called them "U nut clips" bro. You can google that and all sizes pop up.

Β 

Thanks for the pics bro. Those did help confirm that one of my fenders is from a 64 lol.

• Like 2

IF I'm remembering right the one you sent curves back just a bit more the my passenger side fender does. My drivers side looks just like yours. I'll snap a couple pics in the day light and let you see. But its such a small difference that its hard to tell. I honestly didn't notice it for about 6 months.

• Like 2

Ok I misspoke bro. I think its my passengers side fender that may be from a 64. Take a look, do you see it bro?

Fender D side.jpg

Fender P  side.jpg

Fender D side 2.jpg

Fender P side 2.jpg

One curves at the very end and one is straight.

Fender Kiwi.jpg

Fender D side 3.jpg

Fender P side 3.jpg