Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

Funny thing is, that thats the way you used to buy your beer! 12 big bottles in a wooden crate, or flagons.

and you took the empties back, you got money for the empties and you bought another crate!!!

soooo simple, and great for the environment...oh how times have changedΒ Β :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• 2 weeks later...

Good work Kiwi. Have you gotten a rear sway bar for the old girl yet? Pontiacs never came with one (that I know of) but I've heard that the full size Chevys did and they can be adapted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Good work Kiwi. Have you gotten a rear sway bar for the old girl yet? Pontiacs never came with one (that I know of) but I've heard that the full size Chevys did and they can be adapted.

Oh do tell more frosty ???Β 

I was thinking I would have to come up with a template from scratch and have the spring maker build it .....Β 

What year Chevy do you think would be simlair to 64 wide track ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aco-k1-460-0u/make/pontiac/model/bonneville/year/1964

Well what do you knowΒ  - it appears Summit Racing has a rear sway bar kit for a 64 Bonneville now. That's good to know. You might check other catalogs too Kiwi, see if they have a kit at a better price.

It use to be that you had to use a 58-64 full size Chevy kit but you have to remember that the Chevy rear end is 2 inches narrower than the Pontiac unit (e.g. the Widetrack Pontiacs).

Β 

Here is the '64 Chevy Impala kit for comparision purposes

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aco-k1-934-0u/make/chevrolet/model/impala/year/1964

Β 

thanks frosty, that pontiac one looks to be a front bar, the chevy one looks likeΒ  this one i found on helwig site

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/product-digital-assets/135005812.pdf

if its as simple as helwig design where you are just bolting a bar to both lowers rear legs, i think i can template it and have my spring guys make itΒ Β :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Just know that I want to see it when your done bro.

for sure Mate :cheers:, i think i will start another thread as i have questions about how well the bolt onto the side of the trailing arms will work,Β 

But it will have to wait.... today i am going to get my frame down on the front wheels:cheers::dancingpontiac:, its going to be another stinking hot day, and as i am sorting this part outside, i will stick the pop up so i dont get too burnt:unsure:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

i have a issue and i am really hoping Last Indian will see this post and tell me if i am worrying for no reason !

yesterday i assembled the lower a arms onto the 64 frame, went to insert the bolts through the frame and bushings and they didnt fit !!! my bushings are 1/2 inch yet my frame rails they bolt through are 9/16.

now that means i need to get 1/2 bolts to clamp up these lower arms, but that now means i have a 1/16 play in each mount....

Β do i

AΒ  Β  bolt themΒ up tight and not worry

BΒ  Β  try and drill the bushings out to 9/16.... which i think will devulcanize themΒ 

or C get a machine shop to make a 1/16 bush to fit in each frame rail bolt holes ???????Β Β :unsure:

• Like 1

Here is another ad for a rear sway bar mate. I throw it in because I though you might want to see the photos rather than buy it.

https://fabcraftmetalworks.com/product/chassisch8-0520-2/

I will let Last Indian comment as well.

If it were me, I think I would first try using either split lock washer or either an internal or external tooth lock washer to help keep the bolt in place. I would not expect the bolt to move around that much once you've torqued it down anyway, but I expect the added clamping force of the washer will further help keep it in place.

Β 

Β 

image.png.8f72b718a83ddc8be9bae34efbf2bf02.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

i have a issue and i am really hoping Last Indian will see this post and tell me if i am worrying for no reason !

yesterday i assembled the lower a arms onto the 64 frame, went to insert the bolts through the frame and bushings and they didnt fit !!! my bushings are 1/2 inch yet my frame rails they bolt through are 9/16.

now that means i need to get 1/2 bolts to clamp up these lower arms, but that now means i have a 1/16 play in each mount....

Β do i

BΒ  Β  try and drill the bushings out to 9/16.... which i think will devulcanize themΒ 

or C get a machine shop to make a 1/16 bush to fit in each frame rail bolt holes ???????Β Β :unsure:

First of all how big is the outside diameter of the inner steel sleeve in the vulcanized rubber?
It’s a problem, but not to worry! You can fix it! You need one of two remedies! The simplest is two special washers for each side ofΒ the 1/2” bolt. So depending on how large the outer diameter is of the sleeve is will determine what those washers look like!

Aarms like other vulcanized bushing need the center steel sleeve clamped to the frame/bracket by the through bolt! This is what make the vulcanized bushing do it’s job!

Once you tell me what that O.D. Is I’ll determine what the washer should look like!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Β do i

Justa me, but I would use the correct size flat washer for the bolt.Β  Then Justa tack weld the washer in place.Β  Too much pressure/stress to have it work loose Justa using lockwashers.Β  If you ever need to replace the bushings again, would be super easy to grind off the tack weld. Sounds like you got a wrong bushing.Β  What does your supplier say about it?Β  Again Justa me but i swear my a arm bushings took bigger bolts then 9/16 even.Β  1/2 sounds pretty wimpy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

Here is another ad for a rear sway bar mate. I throw it in because I though you might want to see the photos rather than buy it.

https://fabcraftmetalworks.com/product/chassisch8-0520-2/

Oh now thats what i am talking about !!!! thank you.... the helwig one that bolts to the lower control arms would simply put more stress on the bushings each end of each arm, and i think that is wrong

where as connection from the diff straight to the chassis make more sense too meΒ πŸ‘Β Thank you πŸ˜‹

• Like 1