Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
  • Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

What's your question on restoring them Kiwi? A member of my car club has a '64 Grand Prix with the 8-luggers.  He's written articles about restoring them. I can reach out to him for you.

well as you can guess Frosty, they are really grubby and oxidised 

the black needs repainting then each of the blades that has a bright finish needs restoring.

i am guessing that factory would have had them in a lathe and cut/ polished that blade surface

E25AB0B9-EFF4-4571-AE7E-9F0AEDAAE7DF.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
spelling !
  • Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Molly, my Golden Retriever, is a bed pig (on my bed of course). She's suppose to be my kid's dog, but you know how children's promises go. She's 9, he's 20.

Looks better than what I got in the hospital. I was in for heart palpitations so was in the cardiac unit and had to have the "heart friendly" meal. Baked chicken with nothing on it and veggies. Worst

Speaking of voices in ones head! Which one told you to change your avatar again?! How can Frosty be a car? Unless it’s an ice cream truck! I know, I know you JustA like to keep us confused! Well that

Posted Images

6 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

There is a product called sharkhide that is a sealer, once cleaned/polished, apply the sealer.  I've never used it, but heard good things about it.

FP will not let me add the link.  Search sharkhide aluminum

thank you mate, i found it 👍

https://restosupplies.co.nz/Sharkhide

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I will reach out to Jim Larson and see what he says if there are OER paints available to restore the OEM look.

Isn't Jim a FP member??

• Like 1

Yes but he’s not a regular.

• Like 1

Low, real low Kiwi! :cheers:

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Kiwi, I thought you might have an appreciation for this being a past show judge an all.

I have an indelible habit of looking at mechanical applications with a restructuring eye! So every car I’ve every owned and especially those I built, I always see things that I ask why? And then I have too change it. So I think you’ve seen some of that and I know it’s really hard to see it from just a picture! So I thought In some small manner you might like to see the level of detail that goes in to some of my stuff. Since you noticed the level of effort for the plenum cover to get air in to cool it from the hood!

The top motor mounts foe instance! These are so far removed for the original OEM product! Completely changed the mounting location. The factory version had the rotational arch of the motor wrong which really allows way to much movement, which cost a considerable lost in power to the ground and an inherent problem with bracket breakage. These mount allow almost no movement, but without engine vibration transmission to the car body! 

The strut brace! Most of them don’t use heim joints and those that do are round! The purpose of a heim in that application is to allow some lateral movement while stopping in and out flex in hard cornering! Heim joints allow that, but round bars can buckle under excessive loads square or rectangular bars don’t! 

every single SS buttonhead bolt has a hand machined encapsulating washer made for its size. 

EE62CC76-6678-426A-9334-3E6ADE1468DF.jpeg

E70D046D-DE1D-4FEB-99C3-265D7383BDFB.jpeg

2BD45352-9EBB-4602-A899-C8112380B6A5.jpeg

4B9CD470-A83D-44BB-A357-9CB145F84082.jpeg

I am very impressed mate, the detail is outstanding and very interesting what your saying about square rod stronger than round on strut braces:cheers:

What material have you used in the rod end, to body mount ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

I am very impressed mate, the detail is outstanding and very interesting what your saying about square rod stronger than round on strut braces:cheers:

What material have you used in the rod end, to body mount ?

The plate the attaches to the three strut bolts I assume you mean? That is 10ga. 316 stainless steel that is sandblasted and painted. I should also include that the bored holes in the aluminum strut brace actually make it more difficult to bend in deflection, plus it makes it lighter.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Last Indian said:

The plate the attaches to the three strut bolts I assume you mean? That is 10ga. 316 stainless steel that is sandblasted and painted. I should also include that the bored holes in the aluminum strut brace actually make it more difficult to bend in deflection, plus it makes it lighter.

Ah sorry mate, i was looking at the engine mount and the soft material you have used to bush the mount to the body

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Turns out the guy is more than happy to swap me the trailer for installing a gas cook top 👍

win win :cheers:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Mmmmmm more naughty car pics! Cant wait! lol :dancingpontiac:

1 hour ago, JUSTA6 said:

CHEAT......  No cinderblocks???? :willy_nilly:

21st century stuff Justa 🍻

and I have done it your way myself before too!!!

you need a hoist mate 👍

• Like 1