Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Pontiac Ceases Operations

While many of us were busy passing out candy to little ghouls and goblins, a milestone was quickly approaching. As 12 midnight, November 1, 2010, Pontiac Motor Division officially and completely ceased operations by General Motors.

While it comes as no suprise to any of us, this is the day that dealerships across North American have to stop advertising and selling "new" Pontiacs. Pontiac signs and logos will start coming down off dealership buildings, if they haven't already ready. So begins the orphanage of Pontiac again. With some luck, success, and passion by GM, perhaps this great marque can rise again like the preverbial phoenix, or should I say Firebird?

Perhaps, but for now, only time will tell. Don't loose the faith and keep lobbying your local GM dealers for a new Pontiac whenever you get the chance.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As reported on November 1st, there are only a dozen or so New Pontiacs left for purchase. Those will be now sold as "used" vehicles.

Sad.

I had read that one dealer still had a brand new G5 that had a $7000 markdown on it and they were still trying to sell it for $16000?!?!?! That musta been one hella loaded G5!

Any "new" Pontiacs will be sold at discounted prices as others have said. October 31st also marks the official end to the 2010 model year and the start of 2011. Since most Pontiacs were built in 2009 or very, very early 2010, these cars will be marked down as a year-old car and discounted appropriately.

I took my wife's Aztek to get the oil changed and tires rotated yesterday and the service manager at the dealership told me that nothing was done to commemorate Pontiac's passing. I should also note that this is one of the dealers that wanted to buy Pontiac from GM too. So the dealership is moving forward with the GMC Terrain, Buick Lacrosse and Regal, and the new GMC Sierra Denali HD. Clearly GM still has a gap in their "performance" segment that they have yet to replace it with anything other than perhaps the Camaro.

' date='Nov 4 2010, 10:22 AM' post='40025']

Sweet vid...but, of all the cars, the Renault based LeMans?! ;) The 4th and 5th gen GAs were more Pontiac than those little things.

It's what ever commercials I could find :slap: There was no 2009 Vibe, but I quickly got over it :P

Really? O.o

FYI, you could have used the many infomercials GM put out for the Pontiac models. Lots of driving shots like the regular commercials.

Good choice in music as well, suits the vibe for Pontiac going off into the sunset.

' date='Nov 4 2010, 10:22 AM' post='40025']

Sweet vid...but, of all the cars, the Renault based LeMans?! ;) The 4th and 5th gen GAs were more Pontiac than those little things.

Anybody remember the '87-91 Pontiac Tempest? It was a Canada-only version of the Chevy Corsica.

' date='Nov 4 2010, 07:28 PM' post='40041']

Really? O.o

FYI, you could have used the many infomercials GM put out for the Pontiac models. Lots of driving shots like the regular commercials.

If you can point me in the direction of them, I'll be more then happy to update the video. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how much the Pontiac signs will sell for now that it's official?

If you find out, let me know.

Since I know a couple of dealers, they have both told me the same thing. Any signs with the Pontiac arrowhead or Pontiac name on it is considered licensed property of General Motors and must be returned to GM. What GM does with it once it is returned, I have no idea. I suspect they scrap or re-cycle them. But that is a guess on my part.

Also, there was a Pontiac dealership that went bankrupt about 20 miles from me (it was one of the GM dealers that GM revoked their franchise as part of their dealer restructuring). I went to the banruptcy auction. All the Pontiac logo signs were taken off the building and the parking lot entrance and already returned to GM and were not part of the dealership's parts and equipment auction. Believe me, if I could have purchased a Pontiac Service sign, the P-O-N-T-A-C from the outside of the dealership, or the arrowhead, I would have tried to get it.

So if there is a way, please let me know.

Awesomesauce!!! Thanks, yeah, I'd like to have the dart to put up in the garage on the roof :woot:

:lol2:

That is exactly why I went to the auction in the first place.