Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1966 Bonneville heater control

Hello

Does anyone know how I do to fix the text in the left window where it says select.

Seems like there is something missing in my switch. 

Gunnar 

DSC_2598.JPG

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hi Gurra78.

What is the problem? Does the "Select" controls themselves not work on the car or is the word "Select" faded or distorted in some way? It is hard to tell from the picture.

Hi Frosty

It is the text itself.

... Normal.... Rear..De-ice. .which is gone. Depending on the position of the switch, it is different text in the window

4 minutes ago, Gurra78 said:

Hi Frosty

It is the text itself.

... Normal.... Rear..De-ice. .which is gone. Depending on the position of the switch, it is different text in the window

DSC_2601.JPG

I have some bad news for you. No one here (that I know of at least) in the US re-manufactures these units. For the moment, I am going to assume your heater control unit works, it just doesn't display the proper words anymore. Am I right?

Therefore, the only way I know how to fix this is to remove the heater control unit from the car. Once it is out of the dash, carefully disassemble the unit until you to get to words dial or indicators. You will need to take this piece or pieces to someone who re-faces automotive gauges like speedometers or tachometers. They should be able to create the correct sized lettering for all the proper missing words. Then you will have to carefully re-assemble this unit, and then put it back in the car and test it. This is not a cheap or easy solution I know, but it is the only way I know how to do it short of buying a replacement.

Your only other alternative is to purchase another used unit from somewhere here in the US, like from eBay or Craigslist, or some other used car parts site. Obviously anything you buy could be in as bad a shape as yours already. I wish I had better news.

If anyone has a better source, please chime in.

Thanks for your reply. It works as it should so it really doesn't matter. I wondered most if it was possible to buy parts for it from,  example, Ames Performance Rock Auto But now i know 😃

I dont know of many other companies with good prices that send to Sweden. Do you have tips on companies that sell and send spareparts.

That is the problem with this particular part. No one is remaking or reproducing them, that I know of. So you're only option is to either try to repair it yourself or purchase another used unit from somewhere here in North America, either thru eBay, Craigslist, or thru some of the classic car auto salvage yards that specialize in either old cars or Pontiacs.

Auto salvage yards that I think you try to contact to see if they have the part include:

Desert Valley Auto Parts           https://www.dvap.com/

Frank's Pontiac Parts     https://www.frankspontiacparts.com/

GM Sports Salvage     http://gmsports.com/pontiac

Tom's Auto Parts    https://www.tomscarparts.com/

Obviously there is no guarantee they have what you are looking for either at any given time or how much it will cost.

Thanks for your help 👍

I took it apart and found a "sewing thread" that was off. I mounted a twisted fishing line instead and now it works perfectly 😃

DSC_2605.JPG

• Like 1