Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Change Intake Manifold from 2 barrel to 4 barrel on 1966 389

This place is a world of knowledge. Thank you!

I am thinking about changing the 2 barrel carburetor to a 4 barrel carburetor on my 1966 389 Catalina.  I think I would like to use an original Pontiac 4 barrel intake, if I can get one that will work.  What problems with this change will I find, with its current setup, if any? What suggestions do you have?

Thank you again!

Ted

1966_Catalina_Front.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Ted the actual factory 4-bbl Pontiac manifolds flow very well. So picking up a used one at a local swap meet is a good way to save some money. $100-$150 or less ought to get you one. You try eBay and Craiglist too. An Edelbrock Performer 4-bbl manifold is also a good piece for a stock motor if you feel the need to go to the aftermarket.

Obviously you need a new 4-bbl carb and a new 4-bbl air cleaner. Depending on the carb you get, your will need to plumb a new fuel line from the fuel pump to the new carb and use the appropriate fuel filter.  What type of choke does the Cat have now - electric or manual? Obvious depending on what type you have you'll want to match to the new carb.

Carb choices - you clearly have a bunch to choose from. Reman'd Q-jets, Holley, Demon, and Carter. Depends on what you want , your wallet, and ease of installation.

A fresh set of intake manifold gaskets are in order along with a thermostat gasket (I assume you will move your thermostat housing over to the new manifold - however, you might want to take the time inspect the thermostat and replace it if necessary).

Nice thing is your should not have to remove the distributor to remove the intake manifold. A couple of bolts go thru the water pump, so be careful removing the intake around the top of the pump, or that will be a potential leak later on.

Frosty,

Thank you!

I guess I had most of it figured out.  I was just looking for knowledge. The water pump bolts is good information. 

The engine needs painting and if I do that, I figure I should make the intake and carburetor changes.

The choke is automatic. I put a Demon on the 67 vette,  a year go. It has an electric choke and works really well.  I think I will put one on the Catalina,but I am open to ideas.

I thought about putting tri power on, but I had that on my 60 Chevy and it was sometimes a problem tuning. Then again, Dad did give me the snap-on gauges to keep it tuned and I do still have them. Tri power would be pricey for the results?

Do you know of any pontiac swap meets coming up?

Merry Christmas and God bless!

Ted

Ted, The Widetracker's Dustoff would be in June. They have a swap meet area. But I think that happens a lot later in 2020 than you'd like. Winter and spring swap meets you might want to consider are:

Jan 4 - 5  Sat - Sun  47th Detroit Swap Meet at Suburban Showplace   46100 Grand River   Sat 8 - 6, Sun 8- 3  Novi, MI

Feb 1 - 2  Sat - Sun   57th Annual Kalamazoo Swap Meet  at the Kazoo Expo CT, aka Fairgrounds      Kalamazoo, MI

Mar. 8     Sunday     All Pontiac Indoor Swap Meet 9 - 2 at the Fairgrounds 4100 Columbia        Hilliard, OH (near Columbus)

May  7 - 9   Thurs - Sun    AACA Central Spring Meet     Auburn, IN

May 9 - 10   Sat - Sun   33rd Annual Coldwater Swap Meet & Car Show at the Fairgrounds          Coldwater, MI

There may be other, smaller local swap meets in the Lansing or Detroit Metro areas but I figured these would give you the best chance of finding one. Also, keep an eye on Craigslist and eBay.

A tri-power set-up is very cool but they run around $2000-2500 for the complete manifold, numbers matching carbs, air cleaners, and progressive linkage. it is definitely eye candy. If you have the tools to tune them and the cash, definitely go for it.

BTW - invest in a Pontiac shop manual for the Catalina. It will give you all the nuances of a Pontiac engine. I have both a paper and digital copy for my Lemans.

Frosty,

You are a wealth of knowledge.  Thank you! Where do you find the list of swap meets and also car shows?

I have found one intake on Ebay, but the freight is to high.

The first thing I did was buy the paper Pontiac chassis shop manual and DVD build manual. The second thing I did was find two places to get parts: Original Parts Group (High Cost) and Mike Yager sent me to Ames Performance. Mike owns Mid America Corvette and is a friend.

I worry about the tri power setups because I am not sure I am ready to rebuild the entire unit?

I think I will go to Kalamazoo and possibly Hillard,.  Westside barbell use to train me in Columbus, but that is a ways to go. Where is the Dustoff?

Thank you again. My debt to you is growing!

Merry Christmas and God bless!

Ted

Ted

The list of car shows and swaps meets comes from a man named Jon Saulnier. He's a west side of Michigan Pontiac enthusiast who has built a huge network / email list of car folks. He regularly publishes a list of upcoming car shows, cruise-ins and swaps meets across the state, as well as some out of state/national events. If you want on his list, let me know. I will private message you his email address.

The Michigan Widetracker's Dustoff will be Saturday, June 13, 2020 at the Springfield Oaks County Park (12451 Andersonville Rd, Davisburg, MI 48350), that's in northern Oakland County. We will have registration forms for the car show available in a couple of months.

I hope you and your family had a Merry Christmas. Have a Happy and safe New Year.

Frosty,

Thank you!

I would like to get on Jon's list. Please private message me his email.

I am putting the Widetrack's Dustoff meet on my calendar.

We had a wonderful Christmas Thank You! I hope you also had a wonderful Christmas surrounded by lots of family and friends1

God bless!

Ted

• Thanks 1