Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1998 Firebird needs work

I was actually going to sell my 98 I’ve had for 18 years. I just found out it has a bad head gasket. It had sat for far to long.

Now that it has sat on the road dead for a few days I dont want to part with it. It had caused some unbelievable sadness to see it in this shape. 

What do you folks think. I would have to spend  quite a bit to get her back to the glory days. Immediately it needs the heads fixed ($1200-1500), needs an oil pan gasket and headlamp motor replacement. 

Would be cheaper to find a 98 currently in better shape.

F6E4299A-EE89-4253-A1D6-1C7C045B6B53.jpeg

F65FCFCC-09A6-4768-96F4-ABC07C5D621A.jpeg

Only body damage is where a lady hit me while I was changing a tire.

Have your spare & tools ready to go always. And get flares or battery emergency lighting 👍🏻 

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

:welcomeFP:

Body of the bird looks great! If it’s in decent shape outside of what you mentioned, I’d fix her up. You likely could find one for cheaper but may not be in same or better shape. I am sentimental though when it comes to cars too and can’t get rid of them :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve also had it since before my 16 year old son was born so it’s got a lot of memories. 

Actully rare to find a v6 hardtop with the ground effects. Only 155k on the clock. 

• Like 1

I am the king of sentimental car collecting around here. I still own my original '86 Trans Am with 40k miles on it plus my parent's Buick Roadmaster. I say keep it. The nice thing is there are a lot of parts still available for the 3800.

I had a 69 camaro in HS, was a great car for an 18 year old. Then I got rid of it and got a 84 SE firebird. When new that was a great car. 

I rarely see 3rd gen f bodies driving and if I do it’s a camaro. The Firebird has been my backup car since I got my Toyota... but I’m still waiting for the Toyota to break down.

Thr transition from pleasure driving to restoration is difficult but most small jobs I can do. 

Thanks for the input folks ! 

Don't see too many Hardtop 4th gens around...231 engines can make some good power with the right combination of parts...

Completely understand the sentimental value....Have had my birds for over 20 years......

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Thanks 1

It won’t start so I can even get some antifreeze in the block. And it’s due to freeze for 3 days here. So she’s on life support with a tiny heater and blanket on the engine and cardboard underneath. 

If I let it freeze it can cause more damage till it gets into a shop. 

Pic of the front 

D6DBA780-BF6F-4755-A629-A8102790D123.jpeg

Remember when there were 2 choices of aftermarket wheels? 

You can look at wheels for hours now. 😀

9D30F816-C885-4269-B42C-938618F85022.jpeg