Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

31pontiac's 1959 Bonneville

2019 December
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

Hi guys..I have a 69 bonneville convertable in need of interior work and a couple of places I went cannot do my door panels mainly because they are molded .I seen where I can get the door panel but are black and can get them dyed.My question is will a 4 door  panel fit my convertible?  thanks

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the '69 B-C cars have a lot of one-year wonder parts on them. Gas tanks, interior parts, etc. It's a shame but that is the sad reality. 

Typically a 4-door front driver door is smaller than a 2-door front driver door to accommodate the size of the rear passenger (as the overall wheel base length of the car seldom changes between a 4-door and a 2-door), so I would not expect them to be the same size. Also, a 2-door door is often longer to allow passengers easier access to the back seat.

Thanks Frosty just hoping iy would fit.Always thought a convertable was a longer car. 

Overall vehicle length doesn't really change. However door and quarter panel length does change between the 2-door and 4-door models, and that is the problem.

The best suggestion I can give you is the most expensive one. If you need interior panel work done, have a reputable automotive interior shop near you make some new custom panels.

I know it's not cheap, but unless you want to call virtually every vintage GM salvage yard from east coast to west coast, scrounge thru eBay, Craigslist and Kijiji (Canada) looking for possible used panels (in good condition), it's about your only option. Also a custom interior is pretty cool, depending on what you decide to do (and not do).

How bad are your original panels?

Edited by Frosty

Hi Frosty that is basically what I thought.Just to look around and find someone to do it.Last spring went to one even brought him the panel and told if they can't be recovered how going with a custom job and then match the carpet and seats.He had them for around 2 months then told he was to busy.Pretty sure al they do re cover seats and such.So this winter will try a few more people in my area.They are kind of bad mainly the plastic is cracked seats are getting worn.Did find a decent dask pad and going to see about getting it dyed.Have a great Turkey Day.

HI Terry. A company called Just Dashes will re-do your dash. It ain't cheap though. But it will be an amazing job if it is bad enough and you can't find a replacement or repair it any other way.

I've had some seats re-done for not a ton of money. A whole interior, different story. I guess depending on how bad things are and how shallow your wallet is, are there things you can live with (for now) until you can afford to have it re-done. Can you have the interior done piece meal? A good shop will take the existing seat covers as pattern to make the new covers. Not sure what was up your first shop owner's butt to refuse your job unless he has more work than he can handle (which probably means he's not hungry enough for your business). Two months is a lot of time to set and wait and then refuse. Time to move on to someone else.

Call around, ask questions, talk to local car guys, talk to folks at car shows who have cars with interior work you like and see who they recommend and ask them how much they paid for the work. Car guys are an honest bunch.

Hi Frosty yea tried Just Dashes last year just for the dash pad it 1500 plus shipping.Have started to look around more and have found a few places that I can talk to them about it.Pretty sure you are right they were hungry enough in March then not so much as they got busy.Yes car guys are pretty nice and honest and most enjoy to help others.

Hang in there pal. Don't be afraid to find reputable shops outside your local community either. Indoor car show season will be starting soon. The Cincinnati and Detroit Autorama shows will happen in January and late February, respectively. Assuming you can get to one or both shows or other indoor shows in your area, you might be able to find some interior folks at these shows to talk to as well.

Your price from Just Dashes does not surprise me. They are a vendor of last resort in my book. As I said, I knew they were not cheap. However, when no one else re-pops stuff for these unpopular dashes, who else are you going to call ? Definitely not the ghostbusters - LOL! 

I am fortunate that I have found a top notch interior guy near me He's done my convertible top, my seats, and door panels on my convertible, as well as re-done a Recaro seat for my '86 Trans Am. I found him by talking to car guys. I recommend him to all my friends as well.

Once you find "your guy", I am sure you will do the same.

According to YELP, these are the top auto upholstery shops (based on limited reviews) in the Cleveland area. Obviously I am not sure if one of them is the shop you took your panel to either.

1. DuraMend

(216) 398-9009

9449 Brookpark Rd

Cascade Crossing

2. Jason's Custom Trim

(216) 973-8700

745 Marks Rd

3. Clover Car Center

(440) 951-2022

35550 Lakeland Blvd