Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

cylinder head date/identify codes (possibly mismatched heads)

Ok I need some help with some heads I just pulled from my custom S. I thought they were the same but after looking at them and seeing the date codes and stamps... i am thinking they are very different. 

Drivers side: Stamp - 16, Date - 8288

Passenger side: Stamp - 15, Date - A168

I looked up the codes and came up with this: 

Year - Application - Casting - Valves - CC/CR - Notes

Drivers side: 68/69 - 400std/HO - 16 - 2.11/1.77 - 72 - Screw in studs, Dual valve springs, D port

Passenger side: 68 - 400 2bbl/4bbl - 15 - 1.96/1.66 - 75 - Pressed in studs, D port, B & G body

So either I am looking up these heads incorrectly... or I have very different valve  sizes .... would really love it if someone could help me clear this up. Cause Im thinking I need to get a matching head so that I have the same on both sides. 

driver.jpg

passenger.jpg

• 69customS changed the title to cylinder head date/identify codes (possibly mismatched heads)

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

17 hours ago, 69customS said:

Ok I need some help with some heads I just pulled from my custom S. I thought they were the same but after looking at them and seeing the date codes and stamps... i am thinking they are very different. 

Drivers side: Stamp - 16, Date - 8288

Passenger side: Stamp - 15, Date - A168

I looked up the codes and came up with this: 

Year - Application - Casting - Valves - CC/CR - Notes

Drivers side: 68/69 - 400std/HO - 16 - 2.11/1.77 - 72 - Screw in studs, Dual valve springs, D port

Passenger side: 68 - 400 2bbl/4bbl - 15 - 1.96/1.66 - 75 - Pressed in studs, D port, B & G body

So either I am looking up these heads incorrectly... or I have very different valve  sizes .... would really love it if someone could help me clear this up. Cause Im thinking I need to get a matching head so that I have the same on both sides. 

I agree with your analysis. The Stamp 8288 on the #16 head is probably B288 - which translates into Feb 28, 1968 cast date. The A168 is January 16, 1968. I think it highly unlike that your car was built this way. I suspect one of the heads was replaced at some point in time after it was built. Clearly the driver's side is the more desirable head. You can talk to a machine job about opening the passenger side up to the match the driver's side.

• Like 1

https://frankspontiacparts.com/ FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to Frank I now have matching heads. He had 1... and only 1 single #16 bare head already cleaned. 1 valve guide to replace... but for $250 I scored. Not to mention...ive never seen a dismantling yard that was so clean and organized. If you need any parts... call him. He has a bunch of stuff on his website but not everything. Now I gotta find a local head shop to do the finish work.