Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

This scares me...

Ringo64

• Founders

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_cont...and-perception/

Well this article and data table really scares me that more Americans would rather support Japan and drive a Toyota than support an AMERICAN company (any of the big 3, not just GM!)!!!! I guess it is good that according to last years (or however they calculated this) that Chevy and Ford have come up! Still it frightens me how much Toyota is perceived as the holy grail of cars. I know a lot of you have heard this before from me that it doesn't matter who made the car but how well you take care of it! I also have not been impressed with the 2 out of the 3 Toyota's I have driven. My sisters Rav4 has more problems than my G6 could ever have happen and our cars are about the same age. The Lexus E25452155845CEE21652525555Esesee¿©Æ (Sorry me making fun of how they number their cars and throw in random letters and things also) that is my potential gfs is nice but a lot of things about it just see wrong to me, IE couple placements of buttons and things, its a manual car but helps you shift, etc... The only Toyota that has come to impress me is my sister's boyfriend's MR2. The only reason it impresses me is that he built it from scratch and its a fun little car plus I put in some time on the build also so I have to be somewhat proud of it :D .

Not to mention every week I hear about Toyota recalls and how somebody almost died because of the stupidity of them but yet their not on main public media why? because the media loves Toyota. I have no idea why because you would think they would want to help the country their in get better and push American vehicles. Oh wait does it have anything to deal with China and Japan owning a huge chunk of our nations debt that we have to suck up to their every product and move?

and I will leave that there... I feel I have ranted enough on the Toyota butt-kissing train. Anywho just think about this and when someone asks why there isn't any jobs in the USA than while their driving their foreign made automobile you can tell them where it all went wrong.

B)

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know how you feel... and what irks me the most is that these companies are smart enough to know that Americans will buy their product for a lower cost than the American brand because it barely cost them anything to make it, that's why they fall apart :D

what kills me sometimes is when someones trading in lets say for convo sake a 160K 8 year old Toyota and KBB says its worth $3,000.00. But you get a Chevy same equipment, milage ect and its worth $100.00. Just so wrong both of them arent worth shit IMO. :lol2: I hate CR, KBB ect such BS its even worse on cars with a hell of alot of less miles. :rolleyes:

what kills me sometimes is when someones trading in lets say for convo sake a 160K 8 year old Toyota and KBB says its worth $3,000.00. But you get a Chevy same equipment, milage ect and its worth $100.00. Just so wrong both of them arent worth shit IMO. B) I hate CR, KBB ect such BS its even worse on cars with a hell of alot of less miles. :)

:)

what kills me sometimes is when someones trading in lets say for convo sake a 160K 8 year old Toyota and KBB says its worth $3,000.00. But you get a Chevy same equipment, milage ect and its worth $100.00. Just so wrong both of them arent worth shit IMO. :) I hate CR, KBB ect such BS its even worse on cars with a hell of alot of less miles. :D

:agreed:

:agreed: with the :agreed:

Proof that the average car buyer is stupid. Sorry. The only good Toyota is an old one. I had an 89 Tercel. sucker got 39+MPGs, reliable, but the body rot was terrible. I fixed it all, but blew the motor after awhile. :lol2:

' date='Jan 21 2010, 10:21 PM' post='4113']

Proof that the average car buyer is stupid. Sorry. The only good Toyota is an old one. I had an 89 Tercel. sucker got 39+MPGs, reliable, but the body rot was terrible. I fixed it all, but blew the motor after awhile. :lol2:

:lol2: I miss the old Supras...

I just came across an old National Geographic from 1986 and it had a few car advertisements in it. The issue had a Corolla advetising 37 mpg. It also had a GM truck one advertising with 17 mpg with a 300 ft lbs of torque 'the most in a half ton truck'

I do like the people who are slaves to media and hype. Try telling my wifes uncle who is more about hype than fact and said that the junk engine in my Vibe will not outlast his Corolla.

I just do not get it but I think my Junk GM engined truck maybe going in for surgery when he needs his next load of lumber for his deck.

I just came across an old National Geographic from 1986 and it had a few car advertisements in it. The issue had a Corolla advetising 37 mpg. It also had a GM truck one advertising with 17 mpg with a 300 ft lbs of torque 'the most in a half ton truck'

I do like the people who are slaves to media and hype. Try telling my wifes uncle who is more about hype than fact and said that the junk engine in my Vibe will not outlast his Corolla.

I just do not get it but I think my Junk GM engined truck maybe going in for surgery when he needs his next load of lumber for his deck.

well... does he know the junk engine in the vibe is the same thing as the junk engine in the corolla?? lol. no matter what car the 1zz-fe is in, honestly, its still a toyota motor. but i really like the vibe lining over the matrix and that is why i purchased the vibe. plus i had $1,000 gm rewards. :lol2:

toyota does have some nice cars but im just not as big of a fan of toyota since they stopped the celica and supra.

i do hope that pontiac stays in production cuz GM, imo, makes a ton of business off of pontiac.

' date='Jan 21 2010, 04:50 PM' post='4194']

I'd live to find an 88 Supra Turbo with a five speed. Great motor, and I just love the body. They look awesome with a drop, 18"s and a subtle lip kit. Mmmmmmm...

i was actually going to by one last year. it was a 5spd turbo. guy wanted $1500 bcuz 3rd gear would pop-out by itself. it was a friggin steal cuz a tranny replacement was all it needed.

• Founders
Toyota issues recall for 2.3 million vehicles

Automaker acts after 'isolated reports' of sticking accelerator pedals

BREAKING NEWS

msnbc.com news services

updated 24 minutes ago

Toyota issued a recall for 2.3 million late model cars, SUVs and pickup trucks Thursday, acting after "isolated reports" of sticking accelerator pedals.

This action is separate from an ongoing recall of about 4.2 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal "entrapment" caused by floor mats, according to a news release issued by Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. About 1.7 million Toyota vehicles are subject to both recalls, the company said.

“In recent months, Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats,” Toyota group Vice President Irv Miller said in the statement.

In "rare instances" the accelerator pedal may stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position, he said.

Affected vehicles are:

• 2009-2010 RAV4

• 2009-2010 Corolla

• 2009-2010 Matrix

• 2005-2010 Avalon

• 2007-2010 Camry

• 2010 Highlander

• 2007-2010 Tundra

• 2008-2010 Sequoia

;) wow

They can also add the frames of 191,000 Toyota t100s that have an unacceptable amount of rust and need to be replaced as well as a class action lawsuit in California from an ex-corporate lawyer of theirs that is claiming they covered up safety testing results.

• Founders

To be honest I wouldn't have a problem at all with Toyota if it wasn't for the people who are like "Toyota's will never breakdown, they're the most perfect car ever!" and the media mentality that it is the same. That just ticks me off, like I say doesn't matter what car you buy its gonna break down if you don't take care of it. So its because of those people I have to be fair and find things wrong with Toyota.

Again, this is where ignorance and idiocy come into play.

The main reason why the average consumer (from my own experiences, and opinions) is that Toyota's and other imports just seem to go longer neglected than the average domestic. In these's people's eyes, the car needing maintainence, even the simplest of things, is like a burden, an inconvienence. I see people bitch and moan over silly shit, and it pisses me off. Every car has issues, but people want handouts from the manufacture because apparently they think cars are not supposed to wear out parts, ever. A wheel bearing goes bad, a heater core clogs up, hell, even rock chips in the paint just from daily driving, I've seen people label as "defects" and think it's stupid to pay for "defects" ARGBLARG.

/rant

' date='Jan 23 2010, 09:07 AM' post='4930']

Again, this is where ignorance and idiocy come into play.

The main reason why the average consumer (from my own experiences, and opinions) is that Toyota's and other imports just seem to go longer neglected than the average domestic. In these's people's eyes, the car needing maintainence, even the simplest of things, is like a burden, an inconvienence. I see people bitch and moan over silly shit, and it pisses me off. Every car has issues, but people want handouts from the manufacture because apparently they think cars are not supposed to wear out parts, ever. A wheel bearing goes bad, a heater core clogs up, hell, even rock chips in the paint just from daily driving, I've seen people label as "defects" and think it's stupid to pay for "defects" ARGBLARG.

/rant

:lol2: Too many people rather sit around and let their car fall apart and blame others then see the true culprit, THEMSELVES!!!

My mom freaked out one day because her little Honda Civic wouldn't start. As much as I love her she didn't know when the last oil change and tune up were. That's all the car needed was some new spark plugs and fresh oil. >_>

• Founders

My mom freaked out one day because her little Honda Civic wouldn't start. As much as I love her she didn't know when the last oil change and tune up were. That's all the car needed was some new spark plugs and fresh oil. >_>

I'm proud of my mom she remembers to take her car in every time for an oil change and everything. The same can be said about my sister though but I think my sister gets it from pressure from myself and her boyfriend. I also love getting the call from my girl friends about their car issues and its always "when was the last time you changed the oil?" "Oh last year or so" :(

My family are all car guru's, so our vehicles stay up to maintenance, although I'm the only one who will actually work on them myself, so the family tries to hold off until I can be there to do it

Lucky. :lol2:

I dunno where I came from in my family, nobody from either my mother's or father's side are there any mechanics, or even just car enthusiasts. So my parents often don't fix things until it's too late. But, they don't understand my need to modify my GA at all. :lol2:

' date='Jan 25 2010, 12:27 PM' post='5336']

Lucky. :lol2:

I dunno where I came from in my family, nobody from either my mother's or father's side are there any mechanics, or even just car enthusiasts. So my parents often don't fix things until it's too late. But, they don't understand my need to modify my GA at all. :lol2:

Put it this way, my mom owned a Nova in highschool, my dad owned a TransAm that was souped up to the point where he couldn't keep a windshield from cracking and couldn't run a hood, my grandpa was good friends with Dale Earnhardt and has box office seats at Atlanta speedway where he used to drive the pace-car there, and my grandma owns a Harley Electra-glide... yeah, it runs deep in my veins :blink: