Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

rev limiter and exhaust

Hello y'all, I have a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix, Its the Richard Petty Edition and I love it I don't want to do much to it but sound is one thing that I want to change on it. I'm wondering if anyone has heard any of these cars with a different exhaust or with a muffler delete. It has a 3.4L DOHC V6. I live in NC and I know it doesn't have to pass emissions because of the year but I don't know if I want to straight pipe it or just delete the mufflers or get new mufflers. I'm open to all options here. 

Also the car has a rev limiter as to where if i'm in park or neutral I can't go over three thousand which is a bummer to me and I was wondering if any of ya'll know how to get rid of it or if I should just go to the dealer and ask them to take the limiter off. Thanks for taking the time to read :)

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

For the exhaust, it really comes down to preference. Personally, I am not a big fan of straight pipes so perhaps a nice glass pack and mufflers would do well to give you that rasp but not lose any performance due to straight pipes.

For the rev limiter, they are there for a reason from the manufacturer so I would not recommend removing it but I would assume the rev limiter is electronically limited in 1992 so may be able to find a tuner that can remove it. 

9 hours ago, Smorggy said:

Hello y'all, I have a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix, Its the Richard Petty Edition and I love it I don't want to do much to it but sound is one thing that I want to change on it. I'm wondering if anyone has heard any of these cars with a different exhaust or with a muffler delete. It has a 3.4L DOHC V6. I live in NC and I know it doesn't have to pass emissions because of the year but I don't know if I want to straight pipe it or just delete the mufflers or get new mufflers. I'm open to all options here. 

Also the car has a rev limiter as to where if i'm in park or neutral I can't go over three thousand which is a bummer to me and I was wondering if any of ya'll know how to get rid of it or if I should just go to the dealer and ask them to take the limiter off. Thanks for taking the time to read :)

33 minutes ago, Ringo64 said:

For the exhaust, it really comes down to preference. Personally, I am not a big fan of straight pipes so perhaps a nice glass pack and mufflers would do well to give you that rasp but not lose any performance due to straight pipes.

For the rev limiter, they are there for a reason from the manufacturer so I would not recommend removing it but I would assume the rev limiter is electronically limited in 1992 so may be able to find a tuner that can remove it. 

I would agree with Ringo! The 3.4 like the 3.8 is sensitive to exhaust configuration! What you might think sounds good can actually hurt power! If you want a more robust sound without losing power look at exhaust manifolds, both sides, as well as the down pipe/catalytic converter, but the exhaust after the cat leave alone. There are aftermarket down pipes/cats that can double the cfm of the OEM cat. There are also some aftermarket down pipes with no cat. 

The rev limiter is there for the very reason you what to remove it. When you free rev any engine, not in gear, you always run the risk of floating a valve! And that will cost you dearly! 

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Last Indian said:

I would agree with Ringo! The 3.4 like the 3.8 is sensitive to exhaust configuration! What you might think sounds good can actually hurt power! If you want a more robust sound without losing power look at exhaust manifolds, both sides, as well as the down pipe/catalytic converter, but the exhaust after the cat leave alone. There are aftermarket down pipes/cats that can double the cfm of the OEM cat. There are also some aftermarket down pipes with no cat. 

The rev limiter is there for the very reason you what to remove it. When you free rev any engine, not in gear, you always run the risk of floating a valve! And that will cost you dearly! 

3 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

I will take it into consideration, I appreciate the replies and the help. :)

My 92 had a quiet exhaust, and I put mufflers on it that are not muffled at all.  Freeing it up seemed to help with the performance, along with a freed up cold air intake. The rev limiter is there so you do NOT overspin the cams, if yours in the 3.4. Taking off the limiter could be a BAD thing! Once the car is OVER 30 MPH, it will rev UP to around 6 Grand, then the limiter kicks in again.  My GP will ONLY go up to 116 MPH then it will not go higher due to the limiter yet again.  Kinda sucks, but it is how it has been since day 1. I added a Photo of the pipes/mufflers I added for sound and NO restrictions.  Only muffler on it now is the Converter!

DSCN0050.JPG

16 hours ago, LawMan62 said:

My 92 had a quiet exhaust, and I put mufflers on it that are not muffled at all.  Freeing it up seemed to help with the performance, along with a freed up cold air intake. The rev limiter is there so you do NOT overspin the cams, if yours in the 3.4. Taking off the limiter could be a BAD thing! Once the car is OVER 30 MPH, it will rev UP to around 6 Grand, then the limiter kicks in again.  My GP will ONLY go up to 116 MPH then it will not go higher due to the limiter yet again.  Kinda sucks, but it is how it has been since day 1. I added a Photo of the pipes/mufflers I added for sound and NO restrictions.  Only muffler on it now is the Converter!

DSCN0050.JPG

Awesome! Thanks for the reply is it possible for you to send or link a video of it running? Appreciate it thank you. Also just now saw it I dig the mud flaps

5 hours ago, Smorggy said:

Awesome! Thanks for the reply is it possible for you to send or link a video of it running? Appreciate it thank you. Also just now saw it I dig the mud flaps

Here ya go  Smorggy!  I have another of it running, but this has the best sound.  My GP also has Sequential Turn Signals, like the old Cougars and now newer Mustangs have.

5 hours ago, LawMan62 said:

Here ya go  Smorggy!  I have another of it running, but this has the best sound.  My GP also has Sequential Turn Signals, like the old Cougars and now newer Mustangs have.

DSCN0665.MOV

Holy crap!!! Thats sounds really good. Thanks for sharing!! do you have a way to find car parts for this thing because I struggle to find any sort of parts for my car all the time. Appreciate it once again :) 

Most parts I find have been from E-Bay actually! Pontiac sites have some as do Some Junkyards. Use the internet is all I can say.  Parts are hard to come by, and getting costly since people now see that they are hard to find and getting rare!  No one makes repops of these cars.  Older muscle cars yes, but not my GP!