Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Mac McKeller's Lost OHC 421 Engine - For Sale on Craigslist?

Okay this Craiglist ad makes my blood boil!

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pts/d/highland-pontiac-ohc-421-sd-motor-rare/6954038870.html

"Ultra rare Pontiac OHC 421 SD

OHC .. Over head Cam
421 Super Duty

This is the only experimental ohc421sd motor in the world.
1 of 1
Designed at Pontiac by Malcolm (MAC) McKellar and John Delorean .. and obviously other engineers.

$250,000.
Attention - Pontiac collectors

***. Woodward dream cruise **

GTO ram air ii iii IV V 455 SD Ho 
Judge knafel Royal Bobcat super duty tempest wagon Swiss cheese Catalina 1969 Trans Am 
1963 1962 1964 barn find"

image.png.c3b72d26783773064c3820c4ef6cae20.png

image.thumb.png.4e687f72e2cc93e4a2a34947983256a7.png

image.thumb.png.3b63447e2bc9b481a2ae49740b7256bc.png

image.thumb.png.244e6a94c3b195cb20dd1ea6eeec234b.png

image.thumb.png.fb3b47fcb34f1cc302afb2b6642b34f2.png

image.thumb.png.5aa794bbd2083066639cae5f00c991cf.png

image.thumb.png.dae32c10f4e7d46cf36146544eb108bd.png

image.thumb.png.cf06529c16bd90a60cb83b2548ea4f45.png

image.thumb.png.4d74deaf53d5274719453e4498d5dde5.png

Okay so that is the detail in the Craigslist ad.

Now let me give you some local history on this one-of-a-kind motor. This motor was a retirement gift from Pontiac Motor Division to Mac McKellar upon his retirement from GM. They installed it in his beloved '63 Pontiac Grand Prix, as shown in the pictures and the magazine article. Mac retired from GM in 1982. Now fast forward to around to the early 2000s. Those of us who were privileged to know Mac and see his wonderful car, we knew this particular engine was hard to start, especially as time went on. One day it would not start at all.

Urban legend has it that he took it to a shop to get the car fixed and the shop owner offered to trade him a working Pontiac engine for his engine. Mac initially agreed but soon changed his mind. However once he returned to the shop, his retirement gift was already out of his car and gone! It has not been seen since. It has only re-surfaced once on Facebook that I know of. Now I see it on Craigslist for a whooping $250K! For me and the rest of the local SE Michigan Pontiac establishment, this engine belongs one place - back in Mac's '63 Grand Prix (which is still owned by Mac's daughter) and put in a museum period.

It is clear to me that Mac was taken advantage of and the current possessor knows what he has. However, he seems reluctant to sell it thru the likes of Barrett-Jackson and Mecum because he can not prove his legitimate ownership of this motor.

Now it's clear to me that whomever has this motor is not poor, since they seem to already own a '69 Trans Am/TA Tribute and perhaps a Judge? 

Thank you for listening to my rant!

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Not a cool deal at all,

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833014

Edited by SPRINT 6
  • Like 2

Thanks Sprint6! Nice to know others are as upset as I am.

i will call Jim Larson and see what he knows on the circumstances. Jeff Denison would also know but I don’t have his contact info. I know that Jim and Jeff were close friends of Mac’s,

At $250k, this guy isn’t serious about selling IMO. He’s teasing because it’s Woodward Dream Cruise week here in the Detroit area. This a “look at what I got” ad.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2019 at 5:57 PM, SPRINT 6 said:

I see the boys in this other forum have been busy. Keith Seymore, CammerJeff and even Rocky Rotella have all weighed in.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I believe we've met. I attended the car show in your dad's honor at his former senior home after his passing. I was there with the Michigan Widetrackers. I had the blue and white Lemans convertible.

I certainly understand why you feel especially upset. It was a true gift from Pontiac to your father for his hard work and dedication to the company.

Does your family still have the Grand Prix itself?

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

I believe we've met. I attended the car show in your dad's honor at his former senior home after his passing. I was there with the Michigan Widetrackers. I had the blue and white Lemans convertible.

I certainly understand why you feel especially upset. It was a true gift from Pontiac to your father for his hard work and dedication to the company.

Does your family still have the Grand Prix itself?

Unfortunately, no.  Jeff Denison helped my sell the Grand Prix and the GTO.  Now I wish I had kept them :(

That's too bad. 

However, we'd love for you to tell us any and all stories about you, your father, and your family - if you are willing to share them with us. That is entirely up to you.

By the way - welcome to the Forever Pontiac family!

• Like 1