Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

gages crashed on 99 firebird

hey guys whats up..i was just wondering if u all know how i can get this fixed.. my gages just all of a sudden turn off and it wont mark the rpm's, the temperature and the gas. it has happened before that over one night it stops and then in the morning when i turn it on to leave it aint working. after a while it starts working again and for a while it had been workin good till last night. today after i got out of class from the university i was drivin home and the gages were working pero it just stopped and they all went down again. if any one knows whats goin on can u all give me a heads up so i can get this fixed. thankz.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

by what youre saying, they all go out. so can it be a loose wire making it loose power?

well thats what they have told me but i wanted to get a second opinion from here to see what ppl tell me...so would i have to open up the dashboard to check the wiring if so does it have screws of some kind to get it apart??

• Founders

I agree with ghost that its a lose wire or something electrical within the cluster that you won't know till you open the dash. I'm not familiar with the 99 firebirds dash but most dashes are a series of push clips and screws. If you had a G6 I could give you an exact how to lol.

Removing the dash isn't hard at all, its just extremely helpful to know where the screws are so your not pulling on it thinking its a push clip lol

Wiring or it also could be computer related (slim).

I would search around online for a diagram of the dash and pull it apart and start looking for wires that are loose or not connected. I would bet on the side of loose since it sounds intermittent.

Good luck!

I agree with ghost that its a lose wire or something electrical within the cluster that you won't know till you open the dash. I'm not familiar with the 99 firebirds dash but most dashes are a series of push clips and screws. If you had a G6 I could give you an exact how to lol.

Removing the dash isn't hard at all, its just extremely helpful to know where the screws are so your not pulling on it thinking its a push clip lol

o ok..thankz..i'll lookin into it tomorrow after i get out of my classes.... i really appreciate all the help. i'll have u all posted up later to see whats up and if i got it fixed

The fact that ALL the gauges went bad, I'd suspect a bad/corroded ground and/or connections.

I'd tear into the dash and see what's going behind the cluster, and make sure all the fuses are working as well.

' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:10 PM' post='38015']

The fact that ALL the gauges went bad, I'd suspect a bad/corroded ground and/or connections.

I'd tear into the dash and see what's going behind the cluster, and make sure all the fuses are working as well.

I already checked the fuses and they are all good I am sure that its something inside. I went to autozone so they can check it also cuz it says check gages and service vehicle or something like that but they didn't do much all they did was check the fuses. I'll look into the dashboard later on today to see if I can get n but thanks for the help much appreciated

• Founders

I already checked the fuses and they are all good I am sure that its something inside. I went to autozone so they can check it also cuz it says check gages and service vehicle or something like that but they didn't do much all they did was check the fuses. I'll look into the dashboard later on today to see if I can get n but thanks for the help much appreciated

Not a problem its why we created the forum :)

• 4 weeks later...