Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Upgrade?

Upgrade  

16 members have voted

Please sign in/register to vote or see results of poll. Votes will be made public once the poll closes.

• Founders

Well I've been thinking that in the next couple months I may upgrade our forum to the latest version of IPB. There are tons of new and helpful features for members and us staff members alike! It also is an upgrade in coding and will allow us to do different things with the forum and it also has all social features included in the upgrade, among a lot of other interesting stuff to do. I figured though I would ask everyone first before I go out and buy it (its $150 for a license), on whether you like it or not.

You can do a nice preview on the IPB website: http://community.invisionpower.com/

List of updated features: http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/

Things to keep in mind while you decide about this:

- I will run a testing server to make sure everything updates correctly (aka the DB has no chance of getting messed up lol)

- I will update the forum skin

- Everything that is here now, will be on the new version :lol2:

Let me know what you think!!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

um, i dont know...maybe?

What's disabling you from making a decision? want more info on it? Any questions anybody has don't be afraid to post them!

• Founders

Go there -> http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/features/ :lol2:

Those are all the features, not really explained well or really good at telling what's different between the versions.

The reasons why I want to upgrade have a lot to deal with security, programming and a lot of server end stuff. I'll be honest a lot of the valuable upgrades won't be seen by the average user. Myself and the rest of the staff will really see a dramatic kick in how to take control over this forum though.

Here's a list of things you guys will like though in the updated version that you have complained about on this one:

- Polls now allow editing and multi-vote

- A better search function

- Topic Preview

- Safer and better log-in engine

- Better registering (up in members)

- Better SEO (Search Engine Optimization aka new people will find us better)

- A gallery for uploaded images

- The big kicker for me is the Spam Bot recognition tool that won't allow bots to register :rofl:

Overall in my opinion the upgrade will bring our forum into 2010 era of programming and it gives a lot more options.

well, i jus saw it as an expensive upgrade. too much for one or few people. but if you think it will be great, then lets go for it.

• Founders

well, i jus saw it as an expensive upgrade. too much for one or few people. but if you think it will be great, then lets go for it.

Yea unfortunately to have good software you have to pay... or spend years developing :lol2:

Hopefully I'll have some advertising money for it and I can put some money away over the next couple months, any help is appreciated too if you want this to happen as much as me! :D

• Founders
' date='Oct 4 2010, 09:05 PM' post='37930']

No vBulletin?

But I'm down for this upgrade.

I never been a fan of vB, IPB has always been better in my opinion.

I dont think we need it for the size of our forum. BUT you know way more about this stuff than I do. So if you think we NEED it then we do.

did that help? :lol2:

Yea unfortunately to have good software you have to pay...any help is appreciated too if you want this to happen as much as me! :D

i would like to help but i seriously dont have much money to my name.

did that help? :lol2:

:D

and when do you plan on getting this upgrade?

If it's compatible with tapatalk on the iPhone and droid, it's worth it IMO. I could care less what the forum looks like, regardless of the change, I'm not going anywhere. :lol2:

• Founders

If it's compatible with tapatalk on the iPhone and droid, it's worth it IMO. I could care less what the forum looks like, regardless of the change, I'm not going anywhere. :lol2:

Yes tapatalk will be available if we upgrade, along with an optional mobile skin! The feel of the forum may change slightly but the main thing in the upgrade will be functionality :D

Yes tapatalk will be available if we upgrade, along with an optional mobile skin! The feel of the forum may change slightly but the main thing in the upgrade will be functionality :D

As long as the mobile version is an option and not forced upon us... I say go for it if you have the paypa! :lol2:

I'm interested to see the new version, I think I'll say go with it. :lol2:

I've never even tried Tapatalk, when I'm on my iPod I always use the same format as on the computer.

• Founders

I dont think we need it for the size of our forum. BUT you know way more about this stuff than I do. So if you think we NEED it then we do.

:dancingpontiac:

Well I do have to say that with the database as it is right now will be a LOT easier and quicker to upgrade than say if we were even twice as big. This allows for a better sicess rate in the upgrade.

Another reason why I want to do this is if the do another upgrade and there is something we must have but it doesn't support upgrading from our current version or something else.

I really know nothing about forums and servers (other than how to post on them). :dancingpontiac: I have no problem with the way things are now... but that said, if it makes it easier for you guys to work with the forum, then go for it.

Yes tapatalk will be available if we upgrade, along with an optional mobile skin! The feel of the forum may change slightly but the main thing in the upgrade will be functionality :dancingpontiac:

Awesome! Well, than it's totally worth it! Tapatalk is great and easy to use, especially if you're on a bunch of forums like me... Lol

• Founders

I'm thinking of probably purchasing this around mid December probably going live maybe after the New Year so we'll have a bit more on this version :dancingpontiac:

This thread was for interest purposes and to get you guys ready for my plans. Looks like most of you are for the upgrade except Tup (60degreeVVT) and a few who are indifferent. Those who are indifferent (or not for it), don't worry about too much change because as you can see from the demo there won't really be much except for a few small things that will enhance your experience rather than hinder it. The new version will be very quick to get used to and there probably won't be any need to learn anything :dancingpontiac:

• 1 month later...