Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Rear end noise at low speed, shaking at steady speed.

The rear end makes this kind of grinding noise when going about 5mph or in reverse. Maybe wheels barring? U-joint? Also at a speed around 35-60, has a slight shaking I’m front end. Checked front and rear suspension, no leaks but grease inserts caked in grease. Left front strut mount broken. Rack has a slight leak as well. Anyone know what this could for sure be? Or have any recommendations on what to look for? 

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

U-joints might be my first suspect. I would take the car to a shop and have the rear end totally inspected. 

The front end shake could be bad tires. Inspect your tires and see if you have blemished or deformed tires. Perhaps you have broken a steel belt in one of them. I had that happen and had a horrible shake. The fact that the left front strut mount is broken means the car is seeing stress forces it was not designed to handle. Has the car been in an accident that you know of? Any street racing or drifting? How many miles are on the car?

12 hours ago, Youngblood21 said:

The rear end makes this kind of grinding noise when going about 5mph or in reverse. Maybe wheels barring? U-joint? Also at a speed around 35-60, has a slight shaking I’m front end. Checked front and rear suspension, no leaks but grease inserts caked in grease. Left front strut mount broken. Rack has a slight leak as well. Anyone know what this could for sure be? Or have any recommendations on what to look for? 

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

U-joints might be my first suspect. I would take the car to a shop and have the rear end totally inspected. 

The front end shake could be bad tires. Inspect your tires and see if you have blemished or deformed tires. Perhaps you have broken a steel belt in one of them. I had that happen and had a horrible shake. The fact that the left front strut mount is broken means the car is seeing stress forces it was not designed to handle. Has the car been in an accident that you know of? Any street racing or drifting? How many miles are on the car?

I would agree with Frosty about the tires & U joints. You could also have a bent rim or improperly seated rim. The grinding noise could also be brakes or a tranny gear.

No accidents, occasionally hot rod, nothing too insane though. And I actually work at a Ford Dealership(Don’t Judge) 😂 Planned on putting it on the lift, but things got a little crazy. Will keep updated. Thanks!