Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Someone help!

Guest GA_Girl2002

Alright so i havn't been on here in forever! BUT, i did come across black american racing rims a girl in madison is selling. 5 spoke black rims with a crome lip :lol2: but, theyre 17 in rims & my car has 16 in rims on it now, and my step dad was wondering if I can put a 17 in rim/tires on my grand am, without having to actually change anything with the car.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GA_Girl2002

not the american racing rims, this girl is like clueless i swear. im waiting for her to respond and tell me the bolt pattern & everything & what kind of car it came off of. but i forgot the bolt pattern of my car and everything to.... im in a hole.. lol.

Guest GA_Girl2002

i thought that was the bolt pattern. i deffiently dont even understand what the rest of the numbers mean.

would a 17 in rim/tire fit on my car though?

you will be fine with a 17" rim and tire combo. either Chaos or BAMBAMM can help you with specific details but you will need the details of the rims you want to better help you.

number of bolts and distance between them

BoltPattern: 5x115

um, location of the center of rim ( + means away from car, - means towards car)

Offest: HIGH

size/legnth of lug

Lug: 12x1.5

stock tire size

OE Tire Size: 205/65-15

size of center hub (a circle or edge on which the rims sit on)

Hub: 70.3

Guest GA_Girl2002

well she sent me an email saying the rims are 17" and tires are 225's?

5 lug american racing - bolt pattern 5x114.3 - which ive heard will fit on a grand am.

Guest GA_Girl2002

im sure chaos will be around tommorow/sometime soon & help me out here. he seems to know everything there is to our grand ams! but im really hoping this works, if so im buying those this weekend :)

What's the exact tire size? You'll need a 225/45 R17 minimum.

Bolt pattern for the GA is 5x115, 5x114.3 will fit only with the proper hub centric rings

Also, the stock tire size for the GT model is 225/50 R16.

What's the offset on these wheels? You'll need an offset of 42mm or 40mm.

I once had 5x114.3 wheels on my GA. Initially, I installed them without hub rings and had vibrations at 70+mph. Got a set of properly sized rings and took care of that. woowoo

Guest GA_Girl2002

Someone care to explain like where I get those, how to put them on & all of that. Otherwise the rims will fit, and I can go pick them up...I just want them put on the right way.

Someone care to explain like where I get those, how to put them on & all of that. Otherwise the rims will fit, and I can go pick them up...I just want them put on the right way.

Most custom rim shops can order them.

What's the offset on the wheels? Do they have tires?

Guest GA_Girl2002

The offset im pretty sure is 42. She just told me the tires are 225s...i tried to ask the exact tire size, but she just says they are 225's.

Like..is there a way I can order them & not have to pay the shop to do all that?

A 225/? tire though? He's obviously being lazy. Make sure they're a 45 profile, otherwise THEY WILL NOT FIT RIGHT.

Also, it'll be a way to come down on price since you'll have to replace the existing tires.

Guest GA_Girl2002

225/45?

I am trying to figure this all out quick because the rims are a good deal and everything else seems to match up with the car, so although they are summer rims i can buy new tires to mount them into later...i have my stock rims & tires on for winter.

But im reading something about a hubcentric thing?

and people on GAOwnersClub were saying some didn't even put hubrings on, they just either put new lugs on or just didnt do anything.

225/45?

I am trying to figure this all out quick because the rims are a good deal and everything else seems to match up with the car, so although they are summer rims i can buy new tires to mount them into later...i have my stock rims & tires on for winter.

But im reading something about a hubcentric thing?

and people on GAOwnersClub were saying some didn't even put hubrings on, they just either put new lugs on or just didnt do anything.

Words of advice:

People on GAOC are focking morons. Log off, and never go back.

You'll need hubcentric rings with 5x114.3, or you will have vibration issues.

Guest GA_Girl2002

Alright. Well i went to justforwheels.com & entered in all the info and it came up with hubcentric rings... will those work?

And;

how exactly do you put the hubcentric rings on?

the rings jus slide on. they are only a few millimeters thick so its a small edge.

heres a pic of my car. look at the center circle wheres its rusted, the ring you will get will slide on there. and youre done.

2369566_258.jpg

Guest GA_Girl2002

Alright, I get it now. Lol!

So basically I can just order hubcentric rings, put them on, then the tires & rims will fit with no rubbing/vibrations?