Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Headlight Lens Cleaning

• Founders

Over the past few months the passenger headlight has been collecting a bunch of pollen, dirt and just overall gunk that turned into that hazy film over the lens. Last weekend, decided I had enough of it and decided to grab a cleaner to get it off.

Was out and about so decided to look up a few things and ended up settling on Turtle Wax's Lens Restorer (didn't hurt it was on sale). It came with a "lens clarifying" rubbing compound, 2 abrasion pads (plus lubricant) and wipes to seal it afterwards. 

image.png

TURTLE WAX HEADLIGHT LENS RESTORER KIT

Apparently, my headlight had quite a bit of gunk on it as most people can get by with just using the rubbing compound. Ended up having to use the abrasion pads as well. However, I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I wouldn't say it is "brand new" but it is very close and oh, so much better. For the price and spending less than an hour on the project, it is a great product IMO.

Totally did a bonehead move and forgot to take a "before" picture but you can somewhat see this in the below pic:

large.0963C17A-789F-431F-BE6E-778FBC2BA8F0.jpeg

Here is the after. Like I said, not perfect but so much better!:

Image from iOS.jpg

Not a sponsored post but did want to provide my feedback in case anyone is in the same boat.

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

JustaG6 had to redo her headlights as well.   Meguiars is expensive, but works better/last longer than some of the cheap stuff we have tried over the years.  

Edited by JUSTA6

On 6/13/2019 at 11:45 AM, Ringo64 said:

We'll see how the longevity of this cleanup goes. If it does go back, I"ll have to try Meguiars 👍

A couple things as a little FYI. One other thing that works really well is Happich Simichrome and a very soft cloth, followed up with Meguiars Ultimate polish. But, since you have done some restoration to the lens one other thing you might consider is getting some Black Magic tire wet and apply this the the lens. This product is basically silicone. Apply a thin coat and just leave it to dry, which it really won’t dry very well. After a day wipe and buff and reapply. After 3 or 4 applications you may notice a decrease in any hazing that was still there. Then every few weeks always apply a wipe coat to both headlights, this will help kept them clear. It’s also great for door and trunk weatherstripping.

• Thanks 1

• Founders
1 hour ago, Last Indian said:

A couple things as a little FYI. One other thing that works really well is Happich Simichrome and a very soft cloth, followed up with Meguiars Ultimate polish. But, since you have done some restoration to the lens one other thing you might consider is getting some Black Magic tire wet and apply this the the lens. This product is basically silicone. Apply a thin coat and just leave it to dry, which it really won’t dry very well. After a day wipe and buff and reapply. After 3 or 4 applications you may notice a decrease in any hazing that was still there. Then every few weeks always apply a wipe coat to both headlights, this will help kept them clear. It’s also great for door and trunk weatherstripping.

Thanks for the tip!